Chapter 4

Dancer's Passion

The entire time down to the basement, Seungjin stook by me. I'm still puzzled as to why he is sticking so tight to me. It's certainly a confusing situation, especially as to how he had to stop me to let me know that he was my friend now. Maybe he just wanted to let me know that I shouldn’t really avoid him. The problem is that he didn't really realize that I'm only doing it to keep people from getting hurt. I'm not sure how long I get to stay in this city. Heck, I still have to apply for college and try to get into the dance program. Of course, my parents think that it's a super silly idea for me. What parents would be supportive of their child that was trying to get into the dance program of a high school in order to be a professional dancer for a company? Certainly not mine.

Finding a spot in the computer room, I sat down and sighed softly, writing down on the outside cover of the notebook that it was for computers. Seungjin sat down right next to me, smiling and ushering someone over to us. I had a bit of a confused look on my face before noticing it was the same person that sat down next to me during my fourth period. It is a small world I guess. "Hey Heejun! How were you classes so far?" Seungjin tilted his head as his assumed friend was sitting down next to him.

"They were alright. I have to say though, Taehyung isn't getting any better. He was hitting on this new girl that couldn't stand him. It was pretty funny at how disgusted she was at him. You could clearly see it in how she talked to him." The guy that went by Heejun laughed before looking to see that I was sitting on Seungjin's other side. "Oh, it was her actually." He pointed towards me before smiling and waved. "Nice to see you again."

"You already met Jasmine? I was about to introduce you to my new friend." He raised his eyebrows before turning his expression over to me. I nodded to answer his question. in his cheeks a little, he scratched his head a little before shrugging. "Well, this is Jasmine. She's a friend of Hyeri's from a long time ago I guess."

"Well, I'm glad I get to know the name of my neighbor in English class. I'm Oh Heejun by the way. I'm sorry I didn't really introduce myself to you earlier." He smiled and held a hand out for me to shake. Just briefly flitting my gaze over it, I grasped it and shook it gently.

"Kim Jasmine." Our hands let go as Seungjin decided to chat away with Heejun. More students piled into the rooms, chatter filling the room. A soft hush fell over the room when one person waltzed into the room. She was tall, thin, pretty looking I suppose. Her hair was dyed a golden brown, close to reaching her waist. She looked like she would be a sweet girl.

Heejun elbowed Seungjin and whispered softly, "Nana sure changed a little over the break. I thought she was going to keep her hair brown, but she went blonde. Where you suspecting that?" Seungjin shook his head and scanned her slim figure.

"That's Nana, one of the popular girls here. I’d suggest not getting on her bad side. She may look sweet, but she has a nasty side to her. Steer clear of her basically." I didn't really realize it until I shifted my line of sight onto Seungjin, but he was leaning back towards me and slightly turned in my direction, still mostly facing Heejun. Raising my eyebrows, I hummed in agreement before turning towards my computer as the teacher had entered the room. He gave simple instructions to log in, then to create one of our own for the computers. Once that was finished, he had us check to see if a program was up and running on all of the computers in the room, then start using the program. The instructor had us start on making a square on the program to serve as the outline for our room that we would be constructing to do basic designing. I figured it would have been on something completely different, like basic program tweaks or making something digitally, even a research project, but that simply wasn't the case.

Once the class was finished, we all filed out of the classroom, Heejun walking with us back to the second floor so we could get things for our last classes for the day. Mine was gym, while everyone else that I was aware of was in a different class. Gathering my clothes to change into, I walked down to the gym on the first floor by myself with a pencil and pen just in case. Upon arrival, the gym teacher told everyone that was walking in the gym to change into an alternative set of clothing, some were even in some lockers if you didn't happen to have any on hand. Some of the girls were shy and started to change into the toilets and showers to change into their other clothes. Shrugging, I started to just change right in front of a locker. I didn't really care if anyone saw what bra I was wearing or what kind of underwear I was wearing. We were all of the female persuasion, so why would it matter? Walking out with my hair tied up in a high pony tail, was ready for any physical activity that the teacher would have us do. I stand on the gym floor with some others, my hands on my hips as I look around. There was only one familiar face, and that was Youjin. He looked at me and nodded, keeping a distance from me. I nodded back and continued to allow my gaze to wander. Murmurs bounced off the blank faced walls that lacked character. Speakers hung off the ceiling like fruits from a tree that was heavy and waiting for the juicy fruits to be reaped from its tired branches. A tall, slim figure walked out of the changing room, her golden hair tied up in a pony tail as well, wearing shorts and a t shirt that hugged her body. Whistles came from some guys while they teased each other with pokes and jokes that were aimed at each other.

"Hello everyone! Your favorite guy is here!" Taehyung burst out of the changing room as I inwardly groaned. This was just too much. I didn't need to deal with him for three of my classes. This was just life laughing at me and giving me one of the worst situations in the world. I tried to keep out of his line of sight, only noticing that my day just got worse. The guy that appeared so much like the Jun from my childhood came out as well. I was screaming for a way out of this on the inside while trying to maintain my cool on the outside. Why me? Seriously, why me? I hate this. I hate this school. I hate this class. I hate my schedule. I hate all of this. Okay, I don't hate Hyeri. I don't really hate Seungjin since he is like an innocent, hyper, cute puppy. Wait, scratch that cute part out. Trying to stay out of view, I turned to act like I was busy inspecting something that was clearly invisible to everyone else. The instructor had everyone sit down on the floor and started stretches after having us run in place for a little bit and do some jumping jacks. So far so good. Just don't look at Taehyung or who may be Jun. Taking a deep breath, the instructor had us start running laps and would have us take a popsicle stick for every lap we ran. We had to stop after getting ten, which was a little much for how large the gym was. Shrugging it off, I decided to have a pretty decent pace, which involved passing a few people every so often. I finished my first lap before over half of the class did. I got a few strange looks as most never saw me before. Well, being one of the best runners for the track team I was part of, my legs and lungs may be stronger and built for better endurance than most. The girl I learned was Nana was also in the lead with me. She was pretty good, but the thought of doing better than her crossed my mind. Thinking back to the advice Seungjin gave earlier, it would be wise not to pass her so early.

I was on my 9th stick, close to finishing the laps with one more to go. That was when Taehyung caught up with me and was close to breaking into a run. "Well, well, well, we meet again gorgeous. Do I get to hear your name? Or will you give me the cold shoulder again?" He raise an eyebrow as I started to slowly build up my speed so he would have to work harder to speak to me. "Oh come on now! Don't be that way with me!" He chuckled before speeding up a bit more to try to get next to me again. Only then did someone get him away from me by getting between the two of us.

"I'm sorry, am I interrupting?" Youjin was running like it was no big deal and had a blank face, while he could be wearing a smirk right now. Inwardly thanking him, I sped up a bit faster to get to my 10th stick. I ended up getting really close to the four people that were in front of me. Once my fingers wrapped around the last stick I needed, I darted between the last four people that would keep me from getting in the lead. Passing that Nana girl, I continued to dash off to complete the last lap. I got a lot of surprised looks apparently as some confused whispers slithered through the room as I completed the last lap. Handing the teacher the ten popsicle sticks, she asked for my name. I answered before going to sit down in the middle of the room. Kicked back in the reclining position, I watched with a bored expression as others slowly started to finish. One by one, everyone sat down on the polished wood floors. Youjin sat near me as to keep Taehyung away from me. The gym teacher finished packing everything up and set out a bunch of foam balls on a line in the middle of the room.

"Okay, I need everyone to split onto either side of the room. I would like to be as even as possible for how many people are on each side as we're going to play a quick game of dodgeball before ending the class for the rest of the day. Everyone needs to be against the wall and if each team isn't as close to even as possible, I'll fix it. Now line up on either side." A whistle was blown as friends went to sides with each other. I picked a side and didn't really care where I ended up. I ended up on the same side as Youjin, who stood a few people away from me. However, the teacher frowned when counting us off and the other team. "The left side has two more people than the right side. I want one person to join the other team." The students looked at each other with turning heads before one person volunteered. It just happened to be the person that looked like Jun. Inwardly crying, I kept a cool appearance as he joined our line. Once everyone was on the wall, the teacher counted down and then blew her whistle for us to start. I sprinted out to the line and pushed balls back before knocking someone out. Ducking, I got back far enough where it would be difficult for someone to tag me out. People that weren't good at the game stood closer to the back hesitant to grab a ball. I grabbed one as it rolled in my direction, quickly pitching it at someone that wasn't looking at me, but a few people to my left. The foam ball hit their leg, the person groaning and running to the side, waiting for someone to catch a ball. I dodged another ball as it hit someone that was just standing around. The person shrugged before walking over to the side in a relaxed manner. Slowly yet surely, people were eliminated. I caught sight of a figure grabbing a ball and took mine to throw at them. It hit their side as they were throwing. That very person was Taehyung. He turned in the direction that the ball was thrown and stared right at me. Giving me a smirk, he walked over to the other side and watched me with intrigue. The very sight chilled me down to the bones. A few people were left on each team, balls being thrown repeatedly to keep people back. I continued to steer clear of the flying pieces of foam, only to catch one and throw it right back. Someone ran in and helped us to get down to Nana and someone else on the other team. I took one and aimed at the other person, only for the ball to curve and hit Nana. Another ball hit her just as mine made contact, leaving her to throw her ball and stomp off. I got hit however while watching her, only for the person that hit me to be knocked out of the game. I suppose it was worth it, as my team ended up winning. People were patting each other on the back as Taehyung jogged over to me.

"Well, I'm glad to have been knocked out of the game by such a lovely woman. However, I would definitely have liked to return the favor. Maybe I could do something else instead of playing another game of dodgeball with you." He winked, sending another set of chills down my spine. He creeps me out beyond words.

"How about asking a member of your fan club that?" I glared at him while walking off to the locker room, only to be stopped by a tap to my shoulder. Pivoting on the ball of my foot, I found the guy that looked like Jun right in front of me now.

"Excuse me, miss? I'm sorry if I scared you off this morning. I didn't know I could possibly freak someone out that way. I was wondering if you could forgive me?" He smiled kindly at me while Taehyung was approaching out of the corner of my eye.

"It's alright. No worries." I quickly retreated to the locker room to change into my uniform, splashing some water on my face to allow myself to relax and cool off. Wiping off my face with my towel, I left the room to see Taehyung was distracted and Jun was nowhere in sight. Sneaking off, I headed right to the second floor to get my things from my locker and go home to do my homework and eat dinner. Part way down the hall to my locker, Seungjin stopped me.

"Hey Jasmine. Are you going to join a club or something? All the clubs of the school are doing a fair right now to bring in students to their groups. You should join one!" He grinned at me as if he were a happy dog that hasn't played in a little while, begging for a good tug of war or ball tossing session. Sighing, I nodded as I didn't want him to nag at me. No doubt Hyeri would be there too, so I wouldn't just be stuck with this silly giant.

The entire courtyard and field adjacent to it was littered with tables with various sighs and items, trying to draw people into the clubs. I wondered around, a bit baffled with how many clubs and organizations were present. Noticing there was a dancer's club, I decided to leave my email down for them to notify me about the introduction meeting if I was interested. Humming, I found Hyeri with the student council members, laughing at a joke that was made as I made my way to her. "So, you're part of the student council too?" I spoke quietly to her as she nodded and smiled.

"It works a little differently here as any class president has to take part in student council activities. We also have students from every class. We work to try to meet the needs of the student body. It's pretty interesting actually, but also a handful if student can't really get it together. Sadly, we have to deal with some of the mild problems that go with students being difficult. After that point, the school deals with them." She shrugged as she looked at Youjin who only nodded at her statement. This is a pretty odd situation that the school set up. Well, hopefully I don't ever get in trouble with the school and everything. Keeping a mental note of it, I nodded as well in understanding.

"Were there any clubs that interested you?" Youjin looked directly at me, showing a little interest in what I could possibly have signed up for. He had a slight tilt to his head while watching carefully for my answer.

Puckering my lips briefly, I decided it was safe to answer his inquiry. "The dance club. The experience might be better than at my other high school. They were dancing in a way that should be for an video you see on the web." The mere memory of how the girls and guys wanted to dance sent a disgusting after taste into my mouth.

A slight smile appeared on his face as he caught what I meant. "Well, our dance club is probably better than the one that you had to witness at your last school. We have had a few members of the club every year be scouted for some of the best dance programs or by companies that believed that they were skilled enough to start working right off the bat. I hope you enjoy it." His smile got a little wider as there was genuine hope that was communicated through his voice and expression.

I gave a small smile back out of curtesy. "Thank you for the insight. It's kind of you to let me know of this." Bowing my head, I decided to start to leave. Only then did a hand gently grip my forearm. Turning back to see who it was, there wasn't too much surprise to who it was.

"Did you find a club or anything?" Seungjin grinned while gazing down at me, his gleeful, energetic puppy aura surrounding him. Is he always like this? Will there ever be a day where I'll see him serious? Raising my eyebrows for a moment out of surprise, I move my head up and down. "Which one was it?" He was in a particularly good mood as he wiggled a little bit in his spot.

"The dancing club. Why?" I tilted my head to the right, crossing my arms as I was quite puzzled as to why he would wish to know where I could be spending some of my time after school.

Upon hearing my response, his grin got even wider as his invisible tail started to wag. "Really? We'll be seeing each other in club then!" He laughed a little bit before touching my shoulder briefly and bowed his head just a little bit. "I'll see you tomorrow in class Jasmine." He waved as he ran off towards the student council table. I sighed softly as I knew that I was doomed to have someone that would just follow me around till the end of the school year. I'm not even sure if it would be a bad thing necessarily. He might attract some unneeded attention towards me, but it could also turn out to be a decent last year of high school for me. Who knows really.

Arriving at the bus stop, I hunched over an invisible stand to rest my tired body on. I still had four more days left to go for the end of the first week. This week may just as well kill me already. My eyes searched for the bus to come by as I really needed it. A frown graced my sullen face while a person or two would end up leaving the school grounds. A soft throat clearing returned me from the zone I somehow slipped into. Spinning around, all exhaustion left my body to find Jun standing there. Crap! I thought he would have gone home already! Why hasn't he gone home already?! Go away! Leave me alone please! I just gave him a poker face and turned towards the street while I waited for the bus.

"I suppose we're both waiting for the bus? Then again, I suppose that would be something I would get use to doing with you. After all, we were both on the same route on the way here, or at least part way anyways. Do you mind if I sit with you? Or maybe stand next to you?" I could feel Jun leaning in a little bit, as if to read my expression better. He felt so close that it was as if he were breathing right down my neck.

Clearing my throat, I decided to give a soft answer. "I don't really mind." Looking down at my phone to see a text message from my mother, I sighed lightly enough for him to catch it with his pierced hears.

"Did you not want me to sit with you?" His voice gave away that his eyebrows could also be scrunched together with the inquiry that ebbed at the exhausted brain that rattled around in the cracked cranium that was attached to the spinal cord that was owned by a very drained person.

Shaking my head, I let him now that I could really care less if he did. I admitted defeat for today due to lack of energy. Perhaps tomorrow will be more of a fight for him to try to poke and ask questions. Hurry up you stupid bus! I need to get home as my parents want me home as soon as I can to get some food. I need to get home so they won't be mad at me! I continued my internal raging while replying to my mother that wished for me to get home ASAP. I let her know that there was a club display and recruitment event that took place and that I ran into Hyeri. She wanted me to check out the clubs and that it didn't seem like a bad idea to just to see all the clubs. The response was a lot more calm, giving the appearance that she just wanted me home soon so everyone could eat dinner. Thankfully, around that time, there was the bus to rescue me.

The ride was mostly silent, Jun just remaining next to my side and glanced at his phone and watch every so often. He got off and said his good byes to me as I got off at my stop, which apparently was before his. He waved and watched my figure start down the street as the bus took off to the next scheduled stop on its route. The walk to the house wasn't too grueling as I was focused primarily on the fact I get food. There was also the fact that my parents would grill me if I was home too late in the evening. Fishing out the key to the door, I inserted it to drag my body into the house.

"There you are, young lady! You should have been home an hour ago!" And as if on cue with the door shutting, my mother strutted into the room with a frown on her face and her vocals working like a charm. Oh how my ears wished for her to stop squawking.

"I told you that I went to the club recruitment event that took place after school. I wanted to see which one Hyeri was part of. Also, the bus arrived once I texted you a response. There were more stops to have people get off, so it took a little longer." Taking off my shoes, I put my coat on the rack and started to bring my bag into the house so I could plant it into my room and change my clothes.

She sneered a little bit and started to shake her head. "That's an excuse. You should have been home a while ago. What if you sleep in late and are late for school because of this? It won't be my fault as I'm just looking out for you." Strutting back into the kitchen, she started to take the food into the dining room. That was one thing I hated about her remarrying after father died. My mother got worse and got short and snippy with me. I could never appease her anymore apparently. With a nod, I trudged to my room and closed the door to start changing my clothes.

Dinner went by with my step father and mother cooing at each other, making stupid, silly comments about how they loved each other and that they missed their mouth or something. I wanted to gag at how they were acting. Deciding to be discreet about my distaste for their behavior in front of me, I finished my food and left to clean my dishes. They ignored me as they were in their own little world. Going to my room was the next thing on my to do list. The homework wasn't difficult as there wasn't much to it. It wasn't too late so I tried to start working on a routine I was learning online from a girl group. It was a bit more difficult than some of the others that I tried, so it was a slow process. Around the time 10pm swung around, I got a loud rapping at my door. "Turn that music off! It's too loud! You'd be better off going to sleep!" The shrill voice of my mother came through the wood, a sigh flowing out of my mouth to turn it off by sitting down at my desk and plugging my ear buds into it. I answered that I turned it off and she left my room. Watching the video a few more times and reading a few articles on what was going on in the world finished my night as I turned all my electronics off. I turned my phone on vibrate and my alarm clock on so I could get up on time for school. Taking a quick shower, I went to sleep snuggled in my bed with a plushie that my father got for me when he came back from a trip overseas in Japan once. Squeezing it tight, I shut my eyes for sleep to take me.