Unhealed scars

Fragments

 

The rhythm played yet it remained out of tune.

 

He found himself, standing in front of a hollow door, with heavy sighs as he twists the knob.  A loud crashing sound welcomed him with broken pieces shattered everywhere, unraveling its sharp edges as if he was one of them. Everything was pitched black, swallowing the remaining flame of his soul. The sting of alcohol filled him in, occupying his nostrils as he tries to hide his presence, hoping not to be held by those familiar hands again but his fate decided to be in its infernal form. He was grabbed by his neck making him flinch in surprise. He was dragged hardly on the floor making his knees hit hard with the snapping sound of his bones seeping on every wall. He wanted to run yet the grip on his neck tightened as he loses air until traces of pain marked onto him. His lungs screamed for help as they are close to giving up. His eyes continuously searched for a stain of hope in the blooded room but he found nothing but darkness, watching him being knocked down by every blow.

 

"Worthless." He heard a whisper making his whole body quiver. He closed his eyes as he felt a hard blow on his stomach that leads him to the cold ground for the last time before those hands disappeared from his sight. He swallowed the metallic taste of blood, as he curled up in a ball, trying to embrace his weak body. He was there, once again, where his silent screams remained unheard, as his bones were close to breaking with no one to rescue him under those ruthless hands. He felt mad.

He saw himself. He was there, once again.

 

Taeyong opened his eyes as the sun crawled on his skin, reminding him it’s another day. His chest felt empty at the same time heavy as if something inside him remained unfixed but he chose to ignore. He knew it will be the same routine for this day and it will always be but he tries not to complain knowing that it could not change a thing.

The moment he stepped out of his place, he felt unusual, unfamiliar with the sky getting all bright. It wasn’t raining. He was welcomed by the sound of the busy streets, smiles unfolding as it reaches every eye. People looked alive, reflecting through the sky but Taeyong’s heart wrenched at the sight. If only he saw this kind of world. If only he was able to live under this sky then maybe his heartbeats won’t falter, won’t die.

He entered the train, with the large crowd welcoming him. With a sigh, he took a grip hold on one of the poles to secure him in place. His eyes scanned the place, studying each move. Everyone beamed with energy, showing no traces of dimness unlike the bad weather which suddenly reminds him of a particular boy.

 

“You’re losing heartbeats… but you just got one back.” The boy whispered as he removed his hands from the other’s chest, flashing a reassuring smile to a surprised Taeyong.

“What?” Taeyong felt his heart slowly getting back to its normal state as he threw a bemused look to the other, still confused at his words.

“You might want to have a break some time, your heart feels tired.” The boy looked back at him, giving him a concerned look.

“Ya! H-how did you know it’s something about my heart?” Taeyong’s eyes widened as he slightly leaned away, still perplexed on the other’s words. He tried to find answers but it was the other’s eyes that caught his.

The breaks echoed all over, interrupting their little conversation.

“Oh! It’s my stop.” The boy hastily stood up and started to walk, leaving Taeyong’s question unanswered.

“Ahjussi! Take care of your heart.” He called out before disappearing from Taeyong’s eyes.

 

 

Taeyong shook his thoughts away, still slightly exasperated on how the other left him hanging. But something inside him wanted to know, something inside him brewing in interest.

“How dare him to call me an old man. Tch.” He stepped out of the train as quickly as he can, avoiding the wave of people.

He made it on the store on time, only to be welcomed by a new face. He was a tall, young man looking somewhat foreign. The unfamiliar guy turned to him as soon as he heard the door opened.

“I’m Johnny, I will be the one replacing Taeil hyung. Nice to meet you.” The taller boy offered his hand to Taeyong sincerely.

“He left?” Taeyong asked as he gives back his hand, not expecting the news. Johnny nodded in response.

Suddenly, Taeyong felt a pang of loneliness, asking why everybody turns their backs away from him. He felt alone, as if the seats on his ride were getting empty one by one. His heart warped on his chest once again, slowly failing to pound ordinarily. He felt a puzzle piece falling out of place until the trickling sensation hit him once again.

He told himself to not depend on other people, he told himself to not trust the world but the scars re-open every time, leaving him wounded once again. He asked himself why he has to handle the cruel world alone, afraid that no one would ever help him when he stumble down. But still, he chooses not to show the world.

His morning schedule felt unusual, still trying to adjust with a new presence, without his Taeil hyung. His afternoon schedule was tiring as usual except that he was charged for breaking two plates and a bowl and being yelled at on the side. And he blames it for being out of himself and how he felt weary knowing that he shouldn’t.

Without hints of rain, he felt grateful for having no necessity to run, thankful how the sky decided to not bestow him extra body pain this day.

The chattering sound welcomed him, signifying a bright weather. Taeyong sat on his usual spot, giving his back a solace rest. He shifted his gaze on the empty seat beside him, wondering if it would be occupied by the same boy again but it wasn’t. A woman on her 50’s approaching on the empty seat gave him a warm smile. Taeyong smiled back and directed his eyes to the boy next in line who has a flashing grin on his face which occupied the seat on his back.

“Annyeong, ahjussi. How’s your heart?” Taeyong heard him whispered with a chuckle.

The boy, just like all the other people inside the bus were all bright but all in Taeyong’s mind was his curiosity growing higher.

“You looked like you just lost another one.” The boy whispered, pertaining to his heartbeats once again as he clicked his tongue in dismay which makes Taeyong feel uneasy. Taeyong was left with many questions to ask yet he wasn’t able to do so since the other was on his back. To his surprise, the woman beside him, went down on the second station, leaving the seat beside him empty once again. But it wasn’t empty for too long when the boy decided to change his seat beside Taeyong’s.

As soon as the boy sat down, his hand landed on Taeyong’s chest which made the other flinch. Taeyong was grateful for being able to control himself before he screamed in fright and make a fuss.

“Ya! Stop doing that!” He swatted the hand on his chest, drowning in sea of embarrassment.

“Do you feel your heart falling down sometimes?” Taeyong felt shocked on his sudden question as well as how the boy knew what could be happening to his heart.

“How did you-“

“Do you feel it? As if it was dropping down?” The boy cut him off, eager for his answer. Taeyong caught the other’s eyes once again as he nodded nervously in response.

“You’re running out of heartbeats.” The boy sighed in grief as he looked back on Taeyong’s eyes at sea.

Taeyong was lost in words, still unsure of what the other was saying. He felt afraid, as if the other meant that he was dying but he wants to understand. Because out of all the disarrayed things unfolding in front of him, he knew one thing as soon as he met the other’s eyes; the boy isn’t lying.

The bus hit the brakes, interrupting them as it always does. The boy waved his hand in goodbye, still having the melancholic look on his face before he made his way out. But Taeyong stood up on his seat with his footsteps deciding to follow the other’s, forgetting about the job he needs to attend, allowing his sudden thoughts to take control over him.

 


a.n.: WISHING YOU ALL A BETTER DAY. THANK YOU FOR READING! ♥ NCT LIFE IN SEOUL LATEEEER KKK~

p.s.: I'm too lazy to edit a new poster lol