Pulsating beats

Fragments

 

Taeyong believed that his heart was just another vital organ pumping blood, not knowing it was something else.

 

Unlike the other day, the rain decided to play fair and let the sun peek through. The dim atmosphere remained but not as intense as it is when it’s raining. Taeyong, on the other hand hoped for a brighter day with no hints of shade yet as soon as he stretches down his aching bones and muscles when he stood out from his bed, he knew it would be a long day.

 

“You got the job?” Taeil asked as he scans every cupboard, making sure that everything was in place.

Taeyong hummed in response, still wallowed on sleepy eyes.

“You’re really something, you know that? You kept on working as if there are loan sharks everywhere.” Taeil chuckled now looking at the sleepy boy. Taeyong shrugged with a faint smile on his face, out of words to respond.

Taeyong’s mind was too occupied, too tired to function right. The way he sees the world and how it turns, it will always be too cruel, too bleak. Maybe because he grew up on the world he saw before seeing the actual one or rather, because the world refused to show him its two sides, the bright and the dim as what he was able to witness was only the latter. He doesn’t know, in fact he doesn’t want to know because what matters to him right now is how would he be able to live alone without trying to lean back on other people.

Taeyong glanced outside the glass walls of the convenience store as he wipes the damped rug, still lost at sea. He saw how people moved in flash, crossing roads as they focus ahead, pulling carts filled with bag of groceries, waiting for the stoplight to hit green, all seemed to be busy with their lives when suddenly, he caught a not so familiar face passing by. It was him, the sleeping boy at the bus, the boy who claimed to fix hearts. But he looked different, showing no traces of weariness with a smile painted beamingly as the sun. Taeyong felt a sudden outburst on his chest, making him flinch a bit, losing his eyes on the boy. He held onto his chest, feeling an unusual rhythm, as if a lifeless melody started to play once again. But he decided not to listen and get back to work.

As soon as the clock hits 11, he made his way to the restaurant he works at. Having no time to eat a proper meal, he always considers instant foods as his savior. The last time he remembered eating a homemade meal was when Taeil brought a lunch for two prepared by his grandma which was 2 weeks ago. But if it would be on his daily basis, he’ll still prefer those instant ones not because he didn’t know how to cook but because he values time very well.

His 2nd job was tiring as every day, in fact, it never gets easy. Unending plates signifies back ache and shriveled hands but he has no time to complain and he felt grateful how time hastily passes by. Throwing aside the apron and rubber gloves he got used to wear, he bid goodbye and made his way to the bus station.

The sky that was dim earlier started rumbling once again as if it cautions everyone before pouring its heavy drops, telling how already unbearable it was. Taeyong scolded himself for not bringing any rain gear, knowing that he will need to run his way out and his feet would protest in pain again. As soon as he reached the station, he felt his chest constricting, pounding slower until the dropping sensation hits him once again. But he blames it on the rain for making him run as it always does, not knowing the difference between the feeling of being worn out and the feeling of having a failing heartbeat.  Fortunately, the sky decided to be kind this time, letting out its downpour as soon as Taeyong stepped inside the bus. He randomly took a seat as he tries to chase his breathe, asking himself why he always ends up running and tiring himself, asking why it always has to rain every exhausting afternoon.

 

His mind went back from his thoughts when the empty seat beside him was occupied by a familiar boy. He slumped himself down, looking as weary as he looked the first time Taeyong saw him. The boy shut his eyes as soon as his back hit in place and Taeyong continued to watch him carefully, amused how the other mirrored the sky, reminding him how people tends to get gloomier when it rains. The cold, thick air started to fill the atmosphere, making it drearier; leaving the sound of the rain echoing everywhere. He watched the brunette indulge in sleep as his head kept on dropping down until it found Taeyong’s shoulder once again. He sighed, allowing the other to occupy his shoulder for the second time.

 

Eyes getting heavy, slowly drooping down, Taeyong was suddenly taken aback by a rapid struck. He felt an outburst on his chest as if a lightbulb has been switched on making him hiss coughs of air. His sudden movement stirred the sleeping boy but Taeyong remained staggered by the unfamiliar feeling. It felt almost the same earlier on the convenient store but it was more intense.

 

”A-are you alright?” He asked, stuttering, still dazed on a sudden wake up. The boy was surprised to see the familiar face beside him once again but he was more surprised to see him almost choking.

 

Taeyong swallowed the lump on his throat as he nodded his head in response, still quite shocked on the sudden outburst. He felt anxious, thinking about the possibility of a heart failure, thinking if what just happened to him was a mini cardiac arrest. It was not the first time, neither second nor third. His mind recalls how often he felt those unfamiliar feelings on his chest these days and he felt alarmed, afraid of the risks.

 

“Oh…” To his surprise, the boy leaned closer, studying Taeyong’s face.

Taeyong leaned back as he collected himself once again, not expecting what the other did. “What are you-“ His words was cut off when he felt a hand suddenly placed above his chest. He was about to swat him away but the other motioned him to stay still, hushing him by putting a finger on his lips.

 

“You’re losing heartbeats… but you just got one back.” The boy whispered as he removed his hands from the other’s chest, flashing a reassuring smile to a surprised Taeyong.

 


a.n.: HIIIIIII!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SUBSCRIBING! WAA YOUR COMMENTS MADE ME WANT TO UPDATE AS SOON AS I CAN. THANK YOU! YOU GUYS ARE JJANG! 

Jaeyong updates are so rare these days awwww I miss them /cries in hangul/