Faltering beats

Fragments

Taeyong’s number of heartbeat decreases as days pass by but he chose not to listen to those thumping sounds anymore.

 

As soon as the rain pours, he knew his day wouldn’t be easy. The metallic sound of rain engulfed the whole town, not allowing the sun to peek through. The sky continues to uproar, letting out loud crumbling sounds and strong gushes of wind making the busy streets cease for a while.

Taeyong tilted his head up trying to contemplate with the sky, knowing that if his life would be in a comparison, it would be today’s weather. Lifting up the hood from his sweater, he ran his way to the bus station, not minding the downpour. To his luck, he arrived a minute before his bus leaves. Once he hopped in, he was welcomed by stares from people who tend to adopt the gloomy atmosphere every time it rains. The chattering sounds were replaced by the crisp sound of water hitting the window and the full blast of breeze coming from the air condition embraced him which completely gives him chills. It was always the same scenario and he felt amused every time he witnesses how the weather could change almost everything. Some days, he would see the same people from the bus stop, bright as the sun yet when the sky outcries, they would do the same as if the sky was a huge mirror of their souls.

He sat on an empty seat with damped clothes, occupied with unnecessary shivers from the cold, still wondering how constant change could be. After a few dead minutes, Taeyong was almost getting comfortable on his seat when he felt a sudden weight on his shoulders. He tilted his head to his side to check whoever interrupted his relaxing period only to be welcomed by a slightly curled brunette with a pair of long eyelashes lying softly on two shut orbs. Taeyong cleared his throat, trying to stir the sleeping boy beside him but he failed only to be answered by the other’s shallow breathing. Without his knowing, he was already scanning the boy’s face, noticing the bags visibly seen under his eyes, noticing how the brunette seemed to look wearier than him. He tried to shudder his shoulders, still attempting to wake the boy up but the brunette kept unwavered. Taeyong wondered suddenly if the other’s trail was more tiring than his, if his days were tougher than his or if he’s going through something he might know but still, those two orbs remained shut, not showing the possibility to unlatch. As he claims defeat, he decided to let him stay on his shoulders for a while.

The sound of the brakes echoed all over the bus, interrupting their silent reveries, making the brunette finally wake up. It was already on the 3rd station, the one before Taeyong’s so he stayed still on his seat, trying to swallow the awkward streak of air suddenly filling him but the sleeping person beside him a while ago now hurriedly makes his way out showing no hints of embarrassment.

“Uh, sorry, I fixed three hearts last night. They were so broken it took me a while.” He murmured groggily on his sleepy eyes as he shook his head in dismay. He managed to bow apologetically before hopping out of the bus, leaving Taeyong in full struck.

“That was weird.” Taeyong arched a brow as he shook his head, still trying to perceive the meaning of the brunette’s words.

However, he decided to get back on his thoughts before being interrupted by a sleeping boy. His mind worriedly functions once again, thinking about how he could manage to survive alone.

Being a 20 year old boy who was one of the unfortunate youth that didn’t get the chance to attend a university, society continues to pull him down. Having two part-time jobs a day is still not enough, knowing that the salary of an undergraduate is clearly lower than those who has a high education attainment. And for him to be able to pay his rent and bills, he decided to take another one.

 

Hiring! ‘Night shift, 6pm to 10pm. Cashier.’

 

As he saw the post in front of the café downtown Ulsan, he proceeded without thinking twice. It was a 30minute travel from his second job which he considers as a good advantage. He works on a convenient store in the morning, a dishwasher on the afternoon and if his luck wouldn’t turn him down, a cashier at night.

Sometimes he asks himself what his life could’ve been if he never ran away from home, if he chooses to stay instead.  Home… the word he despises to hear. The place he wished existed the same way the world pictures it out to be. The place where he should find the reason of life became his pit of death, the place where he should find all his strength turned to be his unbearable weakness.

He remembered one of his close friends from the store he worked on, Taeil, asking if he ever gets tired but he knew that his answer will always remain in blur. He does, a lot. His back would ache from too much plates and bowls to wash, his feet wanted to shout at him, to tell him to stop running and take the next bus instead and his eyes kept on begging for mercy and sleep, asking him to close them for a while but he cannot be tired knowing that if he did, he will never be able to survive.

Having enough experiences, he was hired immediately. Taeyong felt relieved for he wouldn’t have to think about how to pay his rent anymore. But sometimes he still longs for a pleasant life. He took the train and made his way to his place, knowing that finally, he could manage to stay a bit longer, not getting kicked out. But again, he wondered how his life seems to be the only thing unaffected by the constant change, how living everyday seems to be on repeat, getting harder every step. As he sits quietly on an empty seat, a sudden jolt crept up on his chest, as if a piece inside was torn. He felt a dropping motion as if his heart fell on a pail of deep cold water. Again, it was there. He held onto his rising chest, still unfamiliar with the feeling, unaware that one of his heartbeat refused to play anymore.

 

And that reminded him of the boy who claimed to fix hearts.

 


a.n.: HI! THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH FOR SUBSCRIBING! This will be chaptered but not too long so I hope you'll enjoy~ /wink wink with jaeyong hearts/