Chapter Four: In the Shadows

Monster

Sehun and Balie were waiting for Jongin and Kyungsoo to come back.; they had to go look for Arabella. She was important, important for Balie and for their mission. But why was she so important? The girls were the key to everything, because ther lives were linked. But none of them knew that yet.

“How did you two manage to hide so well Balie? Sehun’s warm breath touched her skin as he whispered, removing her long red hair of her shoulder.
“The same way you guys hide, we use our brains like real humans.” Balie answered, but her mind being hundreds of miles away -What is this place?-
As soon as the other two left, Sehun took Balie through some doors, dark corridors and finally to what it seemed a loft. “I thought the tunnels… were below the city, why does it seem like we are in a 20th floor?” Balie had said as they arrived to what apparently was the temporary residence of her new friends.
“This place hides so many things Balie, and one of them are the tunnels and what is below them. The shadows are below us; and to be honest only a few are brave enough to go down there” No one who lived in the city could have heard of ‘the shadows’, not even people like Balie who weren’t programmed, who were conscious of themselves. Probably not even the actual governors knew, it was an old place, very antique, so old so primitive that not even legends and myths mentioned it.

They stayed in silence for a few moments, but as awkward as it could be, Balie had other things to worry about. She didn’t notice that the silver haired boy was staring at her, memorizing every part of her complexion. He also noticed how scared she was and couldn’t stop shaking. “Here” Sehun handed her his coat, touching her hands as he did it. In a millisecond Balie could have sworn she felt jolts of electricity when his warm hands skimmed her skin but before she could put some thought on it, something distracted her. Five figures were standing there, by the door.

 

It was destroying everything in its path, swallowing everything in its darkness as it went, filling the place of coldness and destroying any reminds of light. No more flickering lights, no more silence, no more life. Everything was black and a low whistle accompanied it. The reminding walls were covered of black spikes, cutting the strong wind that blew through the ruins. Everything was covered in misery, chaos, destruction, errors. The wind took the muffled screams away, only the alarm was still warning the remaining people to escape, but it was impossible, because she had escaped, she was the only one who made it out that night or ever.

 

Subject number twenty seven, all experimental phases completed.

 

Balie was in the verge of crying; Sehun strong arms held her from running to the bed and disturb one of Sehun’s brothers who seemed to be scanning Arabella with his hands.
“What happened Kyungsoo? Were you discovered? Attacked?”
“No.” If the room was cold, it felt a thousand times colder when the boy spoke. It was as if he was suffering, as if he was the one laying unconscious in that old bed. “We found her like that.”
“We went to her place, it was all a mess” Jongin continued, watching how his brother couldn’t let go of Arabella’s hands. “Everything was on fire, it was too late. They were all gone… except for… you know”

Balie asked herself how it could be countless of times, her friend’s family was one of the oldest and took all the precautions, they were the brains after all. But what really troubled her was that her friend lay alive in that bed. She was glad and relieved, but she also felt like the girl she knew was gone, it was stupid for her because she was seeing her in front of her eyes, but something told her that the girl who would wake up would be different. Especially when she learnt what had happened to her family.
“Yixing,will take care of her, Balie” She didn’t listen to the oldest brother and walked to Kyungsoo, patting his shoulder and looking at the girl too.
“I don’t want to leave her…”
“I’ll stay, you rest. Tomorrow will be a long day and… we need to explain you some things.” It was true, Balie felt it. Kyungsoo wasn’t frustrated because they didn’t make it in time, he wasn’t sorry for not saving the family. He was in pain for her friend; it was almost as if he was bonded like the two girls.

That was the last thing Balie saw that night, the little remains of humanity. The treasure. It stormed her mind until she passed out; she just couldn’t understand how feelings worked, how the shadows moved, where all those secrets were hiding, what were Sehun and his brothers doing in her world. How things were changing so fast. It scared her, but she didn’t know it was just the beginning, the beginning of an inevitable ending.