Chapter three: Subjects

Monster

White walls. Always white, so you don’t get distracted with anything. White mosaics, easy to clean and cold enough to cool rooms. Lights, neon lights everywhere, dazzling anyone who isn’t used to them, anyone who had just woken up or isn’t in their five senses. That’s how their facilities always were, those buildings no one would dare to go; the kind of place one doesn’t come back form.

How many hours had she stayed in that cold room? There was no way of knowing, but despite the white walls, thoughts flooded her head. When was she going to die? She knew she was, or else why would they bring her here? She scanned the room the best she could; her body was numb, and only her head could move. The only sound she could hear was the one the lights made when they flickered, not even the screen in front of her emitted any sound. Was it even a screen or was it just a mirror? Maybe someone was watching from the other side, it was very likely. Her eyes travelled to her arm, something was injected in her vein. She couldn’t see what it was, but it made her skin look quite pale and her veins seemed bluer, dark blue was it. This isn’t normal, why haven’t I died?
And it hit her, frustration, despair. Things one wouldn’t normally feel in this world, where emotions were controlled. Her heart was beating too fast, her left arm was beginning to hurt, her mind went blank and the lights seemed to shine more intensely. She was having a heart attack, or so she thought.

Subject number twenty seven, experimental phase number one. Completed

“Wait! Where are you taking me… Sehun? I have to tell my mother… and Bella…” Balie couldn’t see where she was going, Sehun made sure her eyes were closed before they all stood together in the middle of the classroom, holding each other’s hands.
“She can’t be here. No one can know where we are”. Jongin’s voice broke the silence while Balie tried to guess what they were all doing. “Now stand still or you’ll get dizzy”. Even in the year they were, where technology was highly advanced, no one had managed to develop human transportation. When Balie opened her eyes, she didn’t see the classroom where just a few minutes ago they were in, instead the four were in what it seemed an abandoned tunnel, with no lights to see.
–The tunnels- Balie thought. As for what she knew, the place didn’t exist anymore. It was just a rumour, a myth. It was referred as the place where the “mistakes” were sent to die. But no one had heard of them in quite some time; the government gave the impression of being perfect and all errors or mistakes were eradicated. Or so they all believed, but Balie knew for certain it wasn’t true. Entire families like hers were constituted by these so called “errors”, hiding and acting their whole lives as if they were part of this utopian world. But they were far from perfection, from equity.
What are we doing here? Here’s where…. The outcasts ‘live’- “I know what you are thinking” Sehun said. “But you’d be surprised of what those people managed to do, and we are with them, and you. We came here to save the ‘different’”.
It was cold, Balie was shaking. Either was the humid but cold place or that she was scared of how her life had changed in a few minutes. She wasn’t sure what she was doing with Sehun; the three boys now seemed taller and stronger, scarier and powerful and she couldn’t quite understand what made them look that way.
“You guys don’t get it, she is like me”
The three boys were confused, clueless to what she meant. Looking at each other, the three questioned Balie, demanding some sort of explanation.
“You think I would have managed to survive twenty years by my own? You have to go back and bring my best friend here.”
“So… she is like you?” Kyungsoo asked. Balie could have sworn some kind of panic crossed his yes. “She is… an exception?”
“What are you guys talking about? She is like me okay? She feels and thinks. We aren’t the robots the other people are, and if I’m gone, they are going to find out and take her” If Balie hadn’t started to cry out of frustration, they wouldn’t have believed her. They’ve seen tears before, they weren’t affected by them anymore; but seeing a human reacting to waves of frustration and fear, was something else. Almost in all the known worlds, those feelings were suppressed, because they brought chaos and rebellion and stood in the way of ‘freedom’.
“So…. She is like us.” Sehun clarified, as if Balie could understand whatever they were talking about.
“Like.. us? What are we?”
They call us Monsters. But we are known in our world as the Lucky ones”

In that moment something changed, something told her Sehun was hiding more than just feelings. Something changed and made her want to know everything about the strange boy that stood in front of her, -The lucky ones-