Chapter 1

Sorry, It's A Little Windy

    Wonwoo hurried down the street, hugging his jacket close to his lean body. It was autumn, and the wind was picking up. He tugged the Vietnamese rice farmer hat his mother had forced him to wear further down on his head. He rubbed his eyes, dried out by the wind, and peered down at the scribbled list of errands, bestowed upon him by his mum. Despite the long list, and the cold wind trying to pull him in all directions, he didn’t mind. It was only him and Mum at home, and she worked tirelessly to support them. 

 

    The list was mostly crossed off now, and Wonwoo checked to see what was left. Buy pet food, pick up Skittles the cat from the vet, return some magazines to the library… 

 

    Suddenly, Wonwoo’s hat flew off! With a quiet hiss of annoyance, Wonwoo took off after it. He dodged around the few people on the street, jumped over a random knee-high wall bisecting the sidewalk. He reached out his hand, the hat was just within reach… when he slammed into someone’s chest. They both fell to the ground, Wonwoo on top. He quickly scrambled off, already apologizing.

 

    The human he had fallen on picked themselves up. Wonwoo tipped his head up from his bow, noting that the other person’s latte, coffee, whatever it was, was spilled on the ground. He straightened, ready to offer to buy the human another drink. What he saw stole his breath away. The person he had knocked over was a man, slightly taller than him, with light brown hair and big hazel eyes. He was impossibly handsome. “I… I’m really… I wasn’t looking where I was going, excuse me, I’m sorry. Let me buy you another drink as an apology.” Wonwoo winced slightly, he really hated it when he stumbled over his words.

 

    The man smiled a rabbit smile. “I think that would be nice. Shall we?” His deep voice surprised Wonwoo. Although, thinking over it, he wasn’t sure what he had been expecting him to sound like. Wonwoo hurried past him, leading the way to the little cafe across the street. Upon arrival, he waved to the barista, one of his close friends. “Hey Soonyoung. Umm…” Wonwoo turned to the other man, silently asking for his order. 

 

    “Mocha Latte, please.” Wonwoo ignored the look Soonyoung sent him, and focused on counting out the won. The man wandered over to one of the paintings on the wall, leaving Wonwoo alone.

 

    “Who’s that, Wonnie?” Soonyoung wiggled his eyebrows, voice lilting teasingly. 

 

    Without looking up, Wonwoo answered. “I ran over him. Spilled his drink. You know. Exactly what you would expect from me.” Wonwoo smirked to himself at Soonyoung’s shocked expression. “Calm yourself. I was walking - running, actually - after my hat. I don’t understand why I had to wear it out, anyway. Mum’s orders, I guess.” 

 

    Soonyoung shook his head. “Jeon Wonwoo, you’re a hot mess.” He handed his best friend the prepared drink. “He’s a hottie. You should keep him.” Wonwoo rolled his eyes and turned away, before being pulled back by the blonde. “You better flirt. Use what I taught you.”

 

    Wonwoo rolled his eyes again and lightly brushed Soonyoung off. The blonde was always trying to set him up with boys, telling him to “trust and go along”. Wonwoo believed he was perfectly happy being single. That’s not to say he never felt that little twinge of loneliness when he saw happy couples. He just didn’t have the time or energy it took to be in a relationship. “Hey umm… Your drink…” The other man turned to him and accepted the drink with a smile and a word of thanks. Wonwoo gave a small bow and started to walk away, his task finished. He had a list to finish, a life to live, this was only a fragment of time, a second in a millennium. He brushed aside the familiar twinge, but couldn’t ignore how his heart sank in his chest.

 

    Just then, a hand stopped him. Turning back, he saw the same man. “Hey, stay a moment. It’s raining now.” Wonwoo glanced at the window. It was actually raining. He gave in, quickly buying some cheesecake from Soonyoung and following the man to a table in the corner. They sat down together and the man spoke first. “So, I suppose we should introduce ourselves. My name is Kim Mingyu. I’m 19 years old, and I attend Korea National University of Arts as a sophomore.” 

 

    “I’m Jeon Wonwoo. I’m also 19 years old, and attend Korea National University of Arts.” Wonwoo didn’t normally give his information out to people he didn’t know, but he felt surprisingly comfortable. Mingyu smiled widely, and his welcoming personality made Wonwoo feel at ease. They talked about everything, from their favorite classes, to their families. “It’s just me and Mum at home, so I work as well as go to school. Mum is a portrait and commercial photographer. She always has me pose for her. Which is why I’m wearing this hat.”

 

    Mingyu giggled. “You know, if you need a break from modeling, I could fill in. I love posing!” Wonwoo smiled. This kid was really something. Very happy. If his Mum saw this, she would tell him this is what he needed. Someone to make him smile easily, someone who could make him happy without trying too hard. Mingyu frowned out the window. “Oh… My dad is here…” Outside, a black car was waiting. Mingyu sighed. “Well, Mr. Jeon, it was great meeting you. Maybe we could meet again?”

 

    Wonwoo’s breath caught in his throat. Someone actually wanted to meet him again? Speechless, he silently nodded, dark brown orbs meeting Mingyu’s hazel ones. His rabbit smile lit up the gray sky, and he quickly gave Wonwoo a hug, before running out. Wonwoo continued to slowly chew on the plastic fork, running over the previous half-hour in his head. Suddenly, something yellow flashed past his eyes, and he almost had a heart attack. Soonyoung’s big brown eyes were inches away from his, then they disappeared, as he plopped down in the chair across from Wonwoo. “Well? How’d it go?”

 

    “I have a date…” Wonwoo still couldn’t believe it. A date… An actual date… Jeon Wonwoo, the emo semi-loner of Korea National University of Arts, was going on a real date. This was something too amazing to be true.

 

    “Really?! When?!” Soonyoung's eyes almost popped out. He had been sure his friend would scare away Sunshine Boy with his emo-ness.

 

    “I have no idea…”