002

Bitter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 “Ah, you're back. I was hoping I'd see you again.” Junmyeon flashes a grin as you step to the front of the line.

 

You shrug. “Black coffee, one sugar.”

 

“You won't be disappointed this time,” he says, and his determination makes you hold in a smile. “So sit back and relax.”

 

And you do exactly that, but this time you pick a seat closer to the counter. The table is smaller, but since you're alone, it doesn't really matter.

 

You scroll through your phone mindlessly, sneaking glances at him. His eyebrows are furrowed, lips pressed thin in concentration, and hair looking ever so soft as he mixes the drink. It almost makes you laugh.

 

When your name is called, you keep a straight face as you walk over to the counter. Junmyeon too has an imperceivable look on his face.

 

“Enjoy your coffee.” he says with a blank face, but his eyes scream in anticipation.

 

“We'll see.” you shrug, and return to your seat.

 

You put your lips to the straw and take a small sip, before spluttering. He still didn't understand simple instructions. The coffee tasted more bitter than you had liked, and it was clear that he put in less than a packet of sugar.

 

Not minding what he would think, you head right to the complaint slips and fill one in.

 

Name: Song Hyejin

 

One of your employees, Kim Junmyeon, has once again failed to receive specific orders on my coffee. I asked for one packet of sugar, but he has given me less. I also see he doesn't have a hairnet yet.

 

Seeing that there aren't any customers, you march up to the counter, one hand holding the slip while the other holding your drink. “Kim Junmyeon.”

 

He pouts when he realises that you're here not with a compliment, but with a complaint slip. Fingers brushing through his hair, he looks up at you. “You know what? I'll get you a slice of cake. It's on the house.”

 

You grunt. “You're just bribing me. And you're not wearing a hairnet.”

 

“I'm not bribing you, I'm just being friendly.”

 

“Be careful, people will think you're flirting with me.”

 

He smiles widely, teeth practically shining. “And what if I am?”

 

You feel heat rush to your cheeks, but you try to remain indifferent. “Then you'd better try harder. I only date guys who get my coffee right.”

 

He only laughs in response as he gets your cake. This time it's green tea, and it looks absolutely delicious. Preoccupied with the mouth-watering cake, you don't notice him scribbling something.

 

“I thought it was on the house?” you raise an eyebrow when he presents the bill.

 

“Don't worry,” he shoots you a wink. “I don't make girls pay on dates.”

 

You scoff, a blush already rising on your cheeks. “Don't be too full of yourself, Junmyeon.”

 

“Your blush says otherwise though,” he responds cheekily, prompting you to slap a hand on your cheek. “Enjoy!”

 

You return to your seat with a stupid smile on your face. Wondering what it could be this time, you flip the bill over, and sure enough, there's a small note.

 

I'll get your coffee right the next time, don't worry! If you come back, I'll give you more cake, but don't tell anyone, okay?

 

P/S – you'll never see me wear a hairnet

 

You can't help the small giggle that escapes you. Oh, why does he have this effect on you? People in school would freak out that you, Song Hyejin, smiled at two sentences that a cute boy wrote. Three, your mind provides. Three sentences. That doesn't help at all.

 

Fifteen minutes later, you make a move to exit the shop when you overhear Junmyeon's conversation with another worker.

 

“Why do you even like her?” the worker says. Ouch. “She rarely smiles, and she drinks black coffee! Junmyeon-ah, you can't even get her coffee right.”

 

Junmyeon scowls. “She has a pretty smile! Sure, she doesn't smile much, but when she does, it's so bright! Hopefully I can make her smile more. And what's wrong with drinking black coffee? I'll get it right when the time is right, don't worry.”

 

A smile blossoms on your face without you realising it. Junmyeon was for sure a man beyond his looks. His personality was worth falling for as he was willing to look past your exterior, and get to know you. His eagerness to please you with your coffee was admittedly cute, although it was clear that he couldn't do it. You fell for his personality, and his looks were just a bonus.

 

Walking over to the door, you turn to face Junmyeon and wave goodbye. It's definitely out of character, as you're only that friendly to your friends. Junmyeon has a look between laughing and crying, while his worker friend only has pure shock.

 

You relish in their reactions, finally out of the shop. The wind is cool on your face, and you wonder when you're coming back.

 

-

 

“When are you going back to see your boyfriend?” Sehun asks mindlessly, tapping his pen on the table.

 

“What boyfriend?” you ask, not really paying attention. There are more important things to focus on, like the chemistry worksheet you got for homework.

 

“Junmyeon didn't ask you out yet? Wow, he really has no balls.”

 

You stop w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter