To Find Meaning

Nothing Really Matters

It was just another day for me, as I walked down the street, headed to the same place I always went in the mornings, at the same time. I didn't really care if I made it at that exact time I always made it too, but it had just become something repetitive I did, without delay. After all, life was just a cycle. Nothing changed from day to day, except maybe some very minor things. But nothing really of importance for me to take notice. I never asked why, or what, or how, I just simply did things the way people expected them to be done or just because it had to be done. If I had ever really considered speaking my mind, no one would care, and no one would listen. It was that way with everything. It didn't make me content, sad, happy, angry, impatient, or upset; I was simply... neutral.

"He's back," I heard one of the employees murmur as I entered the shop.

"Of course he is," answered another. "He always comes without fail."

Here's the thing. I graduated high school, not too long ago, with seemingly good grades and had rich parents that were going to pay for my college education. I didn't want to go, but I did want to go. I was just in between. Neutral. I had no friends and no cares. No hobbies or a job. My life consisted of getting up every morning, taking a shower and going to the little cafe I was at now. That was my life. That's how my life had always been. I don't have a single memory of ever having something I cared about. There was nothing I was particularly good at. No talent from what I was concerned.

"Rookie!" the employee Sungmin called.

"Deh?" I looked up to see a new girl behind the counter.

"Go serve the young man who just entered," Sungmin waved her off.

"Deh," she took a pad and came my way.

"Isn't that little mean?" Seu-hwa asked. "She's new."

They didn't even bother to be discreet. Why should they? They knew I didn't care.

"Welcome," the new girl said. "I'm Han Erika, and I'll be your server for the day. What may-"

"The usual," I waved her off.

"Deh?" she froze. "The usual?"

"Deh," I looked at her from the corner of my eye. "Arasso?"

"Anio," her eyes became slits. "I'm new, so I'm afraid I don't know what your usual is."

"Excuse me?" my voice rose, making freeze right after. I had never done so before. Had my voice rise, that is. "Talk to Kim Sungmin. He'll know what to get me."

"Deh," she scowled. "Arasso." She her heels and stalked off to Sungmin. "He wants the usual appearantly."

"What's the usual?" he smirked at her. "I want an especific order."

"He said you'd know," she said calmly.

"Chincha?" he snickered and I looked up curiously. Curiously? What is going on? "Go back."

"Mr..." she came back, clearly annoyed.

"Kim Jonghyun," I said.

"Kim Jonghyun-ssi," she nodded. "I'm afraid you need to give me an especific."

"Kuree," I sighed. "A caramel latte with extra whip cream. A coffee cake, double serving and a fruit salad."

"Arasso," she put the pad in her apron and walked off.

"Wait," I was a little startled. I had said that fairly quickly, and usually no one got it on the first go. "You got all my order?"

"Deh," she turned to look at me, a smirk on her face. "Waeyo?"

"Repeat it," I sat back. "I want to make sure you got it right."

"Arasso," she looked me in the eye and didn't even take out the pad. "Your oder consists of a caramel latte with extra whip cream. A coffee cake, double serving, and a fruit salad. Is that correct?"

I blinked a few times. Perplexed. "Deh."

"Your oder will be right out," she smiled and walked back to the counter.

 

Erika's P.O.V.

It was my first day and I had already met the most interesting person in my life. He was good looking, and I was baffled by his attitude, or lack of it. Not only that, usually I became nervous around good looking guys. Whenever I was with good looking guys, I usually lost my nerve and acted pretty stupid, but after having to take his order, I found myself feeling sassy. He was odd, I could tell, especially by how my co-workers seemed to treat him. I later learned that he never really seemed to care about anything. They'd known him since he was a high schooler. Or was it middle school?

I was not exactly normal, but not extravagant either. My family name is Korean, but my first name is American. My mother is actually half and half. My dad is solely Korean, therefore, I look just like any regular Korean. I have big brown eyes, and long straight brown hair. My dad owns a small business chain of mini cafe's. Actually, the one where I have begun to work is part of that chain, but the other employers actually don't know that. My mother came from a regular family in the U.S. My parents just happened to meet when my father began establishing some of his little coffee shops in New York.

I attend Seoul University, studying to become a designer, and I also have many many hobbies. I think life shouldn't be lived carelessly, but to enjoy everything it had to give you. To find someone like this so called Kim Jonghyun who seemingly doesn't care for anything is very disturbing and very sad.

"Here you go," it had been a week and I had become his regular server. "Oh, and I hope you don't mind, but I added some chocolate to the caramel latte." It had become a game to me, to see if I could bring out any type of reaction other than indifference from him.

"Bwoh?" he looked at his latte and back at me. "Ah, arasso."

I couldn't take it anymore. "Kim Jonghyun-ssi?"

"Deh?" he gave me a blank look.

"I'm off in half an hour," I bit my lip nervously.

"So?" he grabbed his fork to take a bite of his cake.

"Wait for me," I said the rest in one breath. "I want to take you out and see what you really are like I can't believe anyone would not give a care for anything I will find something you will care about."

"Waeyo?" he cocked his head, almost innocently. "Whatever."

"See?" I shook my head. "That's why I'm taking you out. I just can't stand it!"

"Arasso," he looked down at his food and began to eat silently, ignorming me.

"Tch," I stomped off and went behind the counter. I watched him, seeing if a single expression other than the blank look on his face appeared as he ate his food. "Nothing, really?"

"Oh, take it easy Erika," Seu-Hwa giggled.

"I just don't understand how there can be someone like that," I muttered.

"Don't worry about him," Sungmin came up behind me and placed his hands on my shoulders. "You got me Erika."

"Get off me," I hissed. "And why are you calling me Erika? We're not close."

"Aw, c'mon," he hugged me now. "You know you want to go out with me."

"In your wildest dreams," I hissed, shoving him off.

"Yeah Sungmin," Seu-Hwa smirked. "She has eyes only for Kim Jonghyun. She's fallen for him."

"Ha... ha..." I stuck my tongue out of her. "Well, I'm going to get changed."

"She already asked him out on a date!" she called behind me.

"Aish," they were exhausting.

 

Jonghyun's P.O.V.

What was wrong with Han Erika? Every chance she got she took me out to different places. Just what was she trying to achieve? For a whole month she continued on with little antics of trying to make me care about something, anything. I just didn't understand her. It was completely pointless for her to go on like this. She seemed to care about a lot of things, so why would she bother with someone like me, who didn't care about anything? She should have realized it by now that whatever she did, I just didn't care.

"Kim Jonghyun-ssi!" she jogged up to me. "Headed to the cafe?"

"Deh," I said lamely.

"What the heck!" she whined. "You seriously haven't changed at all!"

"What did you expect?" I mentally rolled my eyes.

"Erika!" Seu-Hwa ran to greet us as soon as we entered. "I just found out, you're transferring to another cafe?"

"Oh, I was coming to tell you today," I blinked at them before going to sit over at my regular table. "I came to pick up my things today and say goodbye."

"You can't leave me with that jerk Sungmin!" Seu-Hwa pretended to cry.

"Yah!" Sungmin said from somewhere.

"Kim Jonghyun-ssi!" Seu-Hwa ran to my table. "You have to convince her to stay!"

"Waeyo?" I looked at her blankly. "I have nothing to do with her. I don't care what she does."

"But you guys are friends!" she snapped. Friends? "You guys are always together."

"She's the one that always takes me places," I blinked at her a couple of times. "I don't care what she does. It's none of my business."

"Yah!" Erika came to my table. "I thought we were friends!"

"Bwoh?" I cocked my head. "Ani. I don't have any friends."

"Wow, you really don't care," she sniffed. She was about to cry. "Whatever then. I'm getting my stuff and leaving!"

"Whatever," I tapped the table. "Can I get my order now?"

"Deh," Seu-Hwa looked away, following Erika's retreating figure. "But it doesn't mean you have to be such a jerk."

"Uhuh," I looked down at my hands in my lap.

 

A week. That's how long it had been since I had last seen her, and it felt odd. I didn't understand why I felt so weird all of a sudden. As if something was missing. When I had been with her, I had begun seeing things slightly differently, but now that she was gone, things seemed dull. As if they really did seem to be missing something. No color. No life. And bothered me. The fact that I actually felt something about the way things seemed now, startled me greatly.

I had never cared about anything. Nothing seemed to matter, but now that she was gone, I actually... I missed Erika. I actually had begun to care for Erika. She had grown on me. And now she was gone. That's why I never bothered to care about anything. That's why I had always looked at things with no meaning. Because...

I had to go back to the way I was. That way I couddn't ever get....

Nothing really mattered in this world. Living a simplistic life where nothing really mattered kept me from...

"The usual," I said again. It seemed repetitive, even to me now. No. It didn't matter.

"The usual," a voice dragged.

"Erika!" I stood up abruptly.

"Well, hi," she rolled her eyes. "Do you actually care?"

"No," I sat back down. "Thought you had left?"

"I came to see Seu-Hwa," she sat accross from me. "Still the same. But that's to be expected, huh?"

"Whatever," I held her gaze.

"Well, anyways, this is my last time here," she stood up again. "I hope you realize you can't life like that. Anyways, I have a date."

"Uhuh," something flared up in me.

"Erika!" a young man entered the cafe.

"Oh, hi Onew-oppa," she smiled warmly.

"Ready to go?" he gave her a big eye smile.

"Yes," she walked over to him.

"Aren't you going to say goodbye to your friend there?' he looked at me.

"Oh, him?" she didn't even turn to look at me. "He's just an old costumer. We're not friends."

"Oh," he bowed to me. "Have a good day."

I simply nodded.

"The usual, correct?" Sungmin came up to my table.

"Deh," I continued staring at the door where they had left.

 

A month. I was sure she had forgotten about me by now, but for reasons I couldn't explain, I wasn't able to forget her. That day, I had really tried to not care, but little by little, day by day, it ate me. I was sick of it. I missed her more and more. I just didn't understand. She was just another person. Another nothing. Or just something that could really... someone that would bring me...

I shook my head. I was headed to the cafe, again. My footsteps slowed as I got closer. I looked at the cafe accross the street. The one where I had met her. I bit my lip. She wasn't going to be there today again. Or ever. I wasn't going to go. I my heel and headed into a different direction. Anywhere. My pace quickened and I found myself in front of a karaoke bar. The one she had brought me once, but I had not gone in, and hadn't sung. I shrugged and decided to enter.

"Welcome," a bright young lady greeted me. "Will it be just you?"

I nodded and she led me into a small room. She told me if I wanted anything and I shook my head. She left me alone and I walked over to the small table, and grabbed the book of songs. I scanned through it and chose a random song. I didn't know any songs, so it didn't really mattered. The song was in Japanese, called 'Why Did I Fall For You?" by DBSK. I sung it a few times, getting the feel of it. It felt good?

 

Erika's P.O.V.

Knowing him, he already forgot all about me. Two months now since I had last seen him. I could have gone back to visit him, or just go to the cafe in general, but it had hurt. I really thought he had begun to at least consider me as a friend. But when he said he didn't care, that we weren't friends, I was heart broken. I had slowly begun to fall for him. I fell for someone who didn't care about anything. That was completely stupid.

"Erika!" I turned to see Key-oppa approach me.

"Hi oppa," I smiled at him.

"So, I talked to my parents," he winked at me. "I got you the aprentinceship!"

"Chincha!?" I hugged. "Kamsahamnida! Thank you thank you!"

"Now you have to keep your promise," he laughed.

"Aigoo," I pulled away from him, pouting. "Do I really?"

"Yesss~" he poked my nose. "I'll pick you up at 7, arasso?"

"Deh," I puffed out my cheeks.

 

I looked at my cell phone impatiently, knowing he would be here any time soon. What bothered me most was, I was really nervous. Key's family was wealthy and I had gotten into their apprenctiship program. Key said I had talent, but I would not have been able to get in, if it wasn't for him. Key was amazing, and I envied his skill. The thing was, he wanted to be a performer or something like that, but his parents wanted him to become the heir of their company or something, since appearantly his hyung was, odd?

I looked out my window to look down at the street when I saw his nice slick mercedes appear. I quickly grabbed my purse and ran down the stairs, thinking the elevator would take too long. I swear, I almost died two times wearing heels running down those stairs, but being me, I somehow managed NOT to die.

"Hi oppa!" I waved as I approached his car.

"Hey," he opened my door and let me in. "You ready for this?"

"Um," I bit my lip. "No, but there's nothing to do about it."

He laughs and turns on the stereo. "You'll be fine. I'm sure they'll like you."

"Oppa..." I glance at him from my seat. "Is it fine? I mean, to lie?"

"Erika-ah," he looks ahead, not looking me in the eye. "Just for a little bit, arra?"

"Okay...." I watch the streets flash by as we drive.

Here's the deal, I'm supposed to pretend I'm dating Key-oppa so his parents can let him off the hook as heir if they believe we'll get married, but that's what I'm worried about. Will I be able to take it so far? I'm supposed to have them like me, that even if he and I were not to get married, he would have enough time to prove he could make it a a star. Neither of us actually had feelings for each other. At least that I was aware of. He was kind, but I just couldn't bring myself to have feelings for him. I had tried, long ago, but in the end I just couldn't do it. Everyone said we got along so well, so why not date him? He'd even joked about it, but I had a feeling he wasn't all joking about it.

"We're here," I looked up, startled. I hadn't even realized we had arrived. I looked up to see a big mansion out the car window. It was beautiful.

"Oh, okay," I stepped out of the car while someone can and took the car for Key. "Key-oppa..."

"It's fine," he came to my side and took my hand in his. "Let's go."

We walked up the few steps up to the door when the doors suddenly opened. A beautiful and elegant woman stepped out, and looked me up and down. "Hello," she greeted kindly. "Please, do come in."

"Kamasahamnida," I looked at Key who nodded and we stepped in.

She led us in silence to a living room and had us sit down. "I'm Mrs. Kim, Key's umma."

I stood up and bowed. "Nice to meet you. I'm Han Erika."

"Key, your father and brother will be here soon," she smiled at me and then looked at Key.

"Hyung is going to be here too?" he looked at her in surprise. "Waeyo? Usually he's out."

"Your father asked him to stay home today to meet this special person," she smiled.

"Ah, kure?" Key sat beside me. "Arasso."

"Sorry we're late!" a man came in with a huge smile on his lips. Someone trailed behind him. "I had to get this guy to stay."

"Appa, you know he didn't have to come if he didn't want too," Key stood up to shake hands with his father. "But oh well, this is my girlfried, Han Erika."

My eyes widened at the sudden explanation. "Ah... H-Han Erika im-imnida."

Something crashed. We all turned to look at Key's hyung. He stood frozen, back to us, with a broken vase at his feet.

"Hyung?" Key walked up to him.

"Ani..." he bent down, keeping his back to us.

"That's weird..." Mrs. Kim murmured.

"Bwoh?" I asked.

"He usually, if ever reacts to anything," Mr. Kim replied.

I blinked a few times before something struck. His back was familiar, and his voice, as quiet as he'd spoken, was familiar. "Kim Jonghyun-ssi?"

 

Jonghyun's P.O.V.

"...Han Erika," I was so startled. Key had just said Han Erika.

"Hyung?" I looked at Key blankly.

I could hear them talking behind me, quietly. But I didn't pay much attention. It couldn't really be her, could it? It really couldn't.

"Kim Jonghyun-ssi?" I froze and Key looked at me with concern.

I stood up slowly and found myself face to face with her. She was here, before my eyes, after putting effort to forget. I was supposed to be a person that doesn't care about anything, or anyone. Just indifferent and neutral. And when she came in to my life and just as fast left, she left me with feelings I didn't care for. Didn't want to have. And now she was here, dating my dongsaeng. Giving me sentiments of jealousy. This was wrong, and I wouldn't let me affect me.

"Ah, Han Erika," I turned to look at her, eyes cold. "It's interesting we meet again in this way."

"Oh, I see," she gave me a quick glare. "It is intersting we meet this way again."

"Y-you two know each other?" Key looked at her then back at me.

"I served him at the cafe I worked at for a while," she shrugs.

"Oh, that interesting," mom smiled and I just looked at nothing in particular. "Why don't we go to the dining room and eat now?"

"Sounds good," father led the way and I lagged behind.

I watched in silence as Key and Erika held hands and as they flirted all through out dinner. It made me sick to my stomach.

"So how long have the two of you been dating?" mother asked, bringing me back to the conversation.

"For about two weeks?" Erika smiled. "We've been friends for a long time, and well..."

"Ah, yes of course," father smiled. "I hope Jonghyun here can soon find someone."

"Appa," I snapped, making everyone look at me in surprise.

"Hyung, do you have someone you like?" my head snapped up to look at Key.

"Ani," I tried to regain control, and his feline eyes narrowed.

"Excuse me, I'm going to talk to hyung alone for a bit," he stood up and grabbed me by the wrist.

I only blinked and tried to not show any emotion. "What do you want to talk about?"

We stepped outside to the balcony out back. The stars illumintated the sky, the moon shining brigtly. Key was pacing back and forth, throwing me calculation glances.

"You like Erika," he stopped and watched for my reaction.

I shut down, pretending to not have heard. "Why would you say that?"

"Oh, don't give me crap," he snapped. "You've been acting different since she came here,"

"I have?" I looked at him blankly. "Sorry, I hadn't realized it."

"You," he growled and grabbed me by the collar. "You do like her. And she likes you. The way she looked at you."

This time, I couldn't hide it. "She... she likes me? Way she looked..." I stopped and dropped my gaze.

"You actually react now," he let go of me in amazement.

"I have no feelings Kibum," I hissed.

"Then why are you acting this way?" he says laughing.

"Yah!" I jump on him. "Shut up you diva."

"You like her," he said again.

"I do..." I finally admit, and I suddenly become scared. "But what about you two? You're dating."

He laughs at this and I look at him, trying to figure him out. "It's just so umma and appa will let me go once they see I can do well elsewhere."

"So you're still going after your dream as a star?"

"Neh."

"Just tell them you don't want the company," I look him in the eye. "I'll take responsibility over it. It's not like anything matters."

"But it does now," he walks up to me and clasps my shoulder. "I went to see where you always went. The cafe I mean, and seems you don't go anymore? Is it because of her? Where do you go now, every morning?"

"It's just...." I bite my lip. If I kept this up, it would just be the same again in the end. "I haven't gone to the cafe basically since she left. I go to a karaoke bar instead."

"K-karaoke," he looks at me with wide eyes. "Do you, can you even sing?"

"Yah!" I smack him on the shoulder. "You would like to know."

"I would actually," he winks at me and looks back at the house. "We should go inside."

"Neh," I start following, but stop when I see her. "E-Erika?"

"Key, can I talk to him alone?" she rubbed her arm  nervously.

"Neh," I watched as he walked inside, silently begging him to not go.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Is it true?" she steps closer to me, and by now, my heart is going crazy.

"What is?" I keep my voice monotone.

"Don't play with me Jonghyun-ah," I blink in surprise. She'd always said my name formally. "I heard basically all of it."

"You... you did?" I gulp

"I thought you didn't care about anything," she takes a few more steps towards me and I instinctively back away. "But you are showing more emotion than ever, and you like me?"

I turn away, slightly embarrassed. "I tried to push you out my mind. I tried to forget you and shove away the turmoil inside, because it's better if I don't care about anything. Umma, who you see there, isn't my real umma. She's appa's second wife. Key is my half brother. My real umma left me. She said she loved me, and left me. Key and I are so close in age because he was a iligitimate child, but umma, it destroyed her when she found out. Instead of staying with me, she left me. She said she didn't love me anymore. That it was my fault. I was 5 years old. So I told myself to not care. It was the only way not to hurt again, to not feel betrayed. Eventually, I did lock up all those feelings, and I grew numb and neutral."

"Jonghyun..." she walks right up to me and places one hand on my cheek.

"But somehow, from day one," my voice drops to a murmur. "Since day one you've affected me."

All of a sudden I feel her arms circling my waist. "Jonghyun-ah, I won't leave you, arasso? Because I really like you, and I couldn't get you out my head."

I stay there, frozen by her words, but finally, slowly gather her up in my arms and return her embrace. It felt good to hold her in my arms. We stayed that way for a while, but in the end, we had to go back inside.

"Key, what is going on?" umma was asking as we entered. "You haven't said a single thing since you came back."

He glanced in our direction, spotting us. "Erika and I aren't dating."

"Bwoh?!" both umma and appa looked at him in shock.

"I just wanted to have a chance at being able to chase after my career," he looked at us, making them realize we were back. "Besides, she likes someone else, and he returns the feelings."

"Jonghyun!" they looked back and forth between us. "Key, what is it you want to do? How come you never told us?"

"Um," he bit his lip and looks at me nervously. I nod and give him a smile. "I want to become and idol...."

"An... an idol?" appa looked at him curiously. "That's a hard path to go after."

"I know, but..." Key was growing more and more nervous.

"It's fine, we understand," umma looked at appa with a smile and he in turn smiles.

"You, you do?" Key couldn't keep the big smile off his face.

"Don't question it Key," I tease.

"So Jonghyun," appa looked at me, some relief in his eyes. "What is it you want to do?'

"Me?" I look at him, startled.

"Yes," he smiles. "What is it you want to do?"

"I think we should go karaoke first," Erika interrupts us. "I want to hear Key sing and Jonghyun sing. Besides, Jonghyun might not know yet."

I take her hand and smile at her. I actually already knew, thanks to her, but I wouldn't tell her. Not yet. It was my secret for now. One I had discovered myself, thanks to her.

 

Author's P.O.V.

The five went to a karaoke bar together that night, and they all sang. The last one of course, was Jonghyun, taking everyone by surprise at his beautiful voice. He smiled as he sang, and brought tears to those who listened to his soft ballad. It wasn't hard for everyone to know what he wanted to do in the future, and they all aproved and cheered him. Not a year later he and Erika were still dating when he and Key were accepted into the SM entertainment label for the trainee program. The Kim's had also decided, that if Jonghyun and Erika were to get married, Erika would become in charge of the company. Key and Jonghyun liked the idea, but the idea of marriege was still a little far from the couples mind. First, they just wanted to spend time together before they fully commited to each other, one having studies, and the other a busy schedule.

Kim Jonghyun, found through his music, a deeper meaning to his life and of those around him. He always thanked Erika for it, but music was what pulled him through in the end. It's what deepened the bond between them, and now Jonghyun used music to touch others heart and to let them know, they weren't alone.

____________________________________________________________

Okay, so here is my entry to the contest.

I finally finished! Wooo! I hope you all liked it.

I had a really good idea, and then stuff happened and I started forgetting what I was supposed to be writing.

T_T

But alas, I got it done, even if it's a little late.

I did my best, is all I can say. Hehehe.

I hope you read this and consider reading my other stories too.

Kekekeke.

Anyways, thank you for considering my entry!

*bows*