▲ FOUR

Recalling the Past
 
 
 

SET THE SCENE:The hallway of a large academy, is quiet and desolate. Students have either gone home, or are in their classrooms being forced to study until the last bell rings at six. All students; but, one who lurks through the halls peeking in at every classroom window looking for something…someone.
 

 
 

Boyoung walks down the halls of the senior building. She takes it slow, as not to make noise, and once in a while peeks her head into the windows of classrooms. She vaguely remembers what Yoon Jeonghan looks like. Shoulder length hair, feminine habits, and soft features. The picture-perfect flower boy of the senior year class. A lot of the girls in the school favored him for his good looks and kind personality; but, he never showed much interest in anyone. Especially for someone as bright and as loud as Chunja. But Boyoung wouldn’t mistake Jeonghan for being Chunja’s admirer. Because she got a glimpse of him placing down a bouquet of red roses on her desk with an attached note just three days from today.

If she could just find him, then she could stop him from causing the damage that he begins. The one thing she’s hoping is that she won’t get caught by the teachers whom roam the halls looking for any sign of life. She also hopes that Minghao can keep her covered from their teacher; before, she gets back. As long as she doesn’t get caught: she’ll have a higher chance of catching Jeonghan and talking him out of what he wants to do. Which is why she’s continuing to persevere through checking each room. The building is only two floors: about fifteen classrooms (give or take) on each floor. All she has to do, is peek through the windows, glance around the room (check for Jeonghan) and continue on until she does in fact find him.

As for what she does after she finds him, well, she’ll figure that out when she gets there. Though, she supposes she won't be able to do much with getting him out of his class. At this time of the year, Boyoung has yet to meet Jeonghan. Jeonghan probably doesn’t even know of her existence. And, most likely, he’ll find her extremely weird if she just bombards him with questions about his secret admiring of Chunja. Unless, unless he knows that Boyoung is Chunja’s friend. If he likes Chunja—supposedly likes her—then what would stop him from knowing about her?

In the distance, further down the white tiled hallway, is the light sounds of footsteps. Panic sets in. , teacher. Boyoung remembers the punishments teachers used to hand out to kids who were in the halls without permission. Kneeling on the floor keeping your arms up above your head for minutes at a time is a favorite of nearly all the teachers. That, or, having to do clean up duties after school. Whether it be erasing all white boards, mopping the floors of random classrooms, cleaning bathrooms, putting all the chairs up on the desks of every classroom in the building, or doing anything for the coaches of the school sports teams. And not only is she in a hallway without permission, she’s in an entirely separate building from her own. If anyone is going to get a huge punishment, it’s going to be her. Just my luck, she thinks to herself as she frantically looks around the hall.

No place to hide unless she wants to fling herself inside some classroom; inevitably that will just get her in equal trouble with a different teacher. The janitor’s closets are all locked (there’s some preconceived notion that some students will actually hook up with one another in there) and there’s no additional empty classrooms. So, Boyoung keeps herself plastered to the wall along the corner, waiting to see who is coming down the hall.

Her head peeks around the bend slightly. Brown locks pouring over her face as the footsteps gradually get louder and louder and louder. Until a figure appears on the far end. Boyoung’s body jolts as she pulls herself back from around the corner and stays stiff against the wall.

She couldn’t tell whether or not it was a teacher or a student. Though, it wouldn’t matter, seeing as students are likely to report any other student outside of their class to a teacher. The only person that could possibly not get her in trouble, would be if Soonyoung, Jun, or Chunja are coming down that hallway right now. But the chances of that happening are slim to none. And Boyoung’s luck has never been that great.

Unbeknownst to her, her feet chatter against the floor in fright. It’s a nervous habit of hers, one that she’s never been able to rid herself of. “What are you doing, twinkle toes?” Dread falls over Boyoung’s timid features as she looks to her side. The figure from down the hallway, is now standing beside her. Wearing his finest smirk that covers up his intoxicating laugh.

A soft breath leaves as she relaxes. “You scared the heck out of me, Jun!”

Boyoung’s body hunches over, her fingers gripping onto her knees as her hair falls in front of her face. Jun, standing before her still, chuckles to himself as his arms cross over his chest. “Why are you really here?”

The girl blanks. She can’t exactly tell him that she’s here to find Jeonghan in order to deter him from his whole secret admirer deal. And it’s a proven fact that she can’t lie. As a young child, nearly all her friends learned about her ticks when it comes to her lying. The way her face slightly contorts, and the way she sometimes twitches her nose and bites her lip. It’s a tragedy that she still has not been able to figure out how to lie like a normal person does.

“Um,” Boyoung stretches up to look up at the tall boy. He stands there before her with a lifted eyebrow. The radiant sunset sits down in the hallway, and reflects off his dark hair—bringing out a shimmering gold touch. He’s perfectly primped, a picture perfect model of masculinity and charisma. That was always the most frustrating thing about Jun. He was so likeable. “I’m going for a walk?”

He snorts, “It physically hurts me at how bad you are at lying.”

Boyoung doesn’t respond, avoiding his gaze, as she looks down at her feet. “So, what are you doing up here? Spying on us?”

“Don’t say that out loud,” She grumbles. “I’m just enjoying the quiet.”

The older boy scoffs as he shifts around the papers in his hands, “Right,” His voice trails off a little as he shifts his feet a bit. “You really shouldn’t be here, Bo. You should get back to your class.” Boyoung ignores him.

The thing is, with all that’s going on in her mind. She wonders how she’s supposed to change the past as this incredibly predictable Boyoung. The one who can’t lie to save her life. The one who is easily discomforted by aggressive personalities. The one that doesn’t like getting involved with strangers. The one who relied on too many people. The trite Boyoung. If she truly wants to change the past, then she can’t just continue to blend in and be her past herself. She needs to wake up and be the person who can take down those who ruined everything.

“Jun,” The dark haired girl looks up at the tall boy. “Which class does Yoon Jeonghan have?” He looks confused at her question. Wondering what she could possibly want with Yoon Jeonghan. Someone that has no possible connection with someone like Boyoung. Boyoung adores him dearly, really, but Jun was always too curious for his own good. Enthusiastically curious about everything. She guesses it would take an optimist to keep Chunja perpetually infuriated so it makes sense, but it also grew irritating.

“And why do you need to know that?” He asks, as he stretches his arm to trace his fingers through his brown hair.

Boyoung rolls her eyes, “Just tell me!”

“Correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s your fault if you get caught, right?” The boy asks as his thin lips curl slightly. Considering I’ve taken credit for things I haven’t done, I doubt I’ll have much trouble taking credit for things I have. Boyoung nods her head with a grin. In return the boy points down the hall. “Room 245, last room on the left.”

The girl excitedly claps her hands together, “Thank you, I owe you one!”

“Whatever,” He brushes her off and fiddles the papers in his arms. “Just, don’t get caught, alright? Soonyoung will be pissed if you get detention, and if you do, don’t mention my name because Soonyoung’s wrath is something I don’t want to play with.” Boyoung nods her head again but waves her hand at him and bolts down the empty hall.

Her feet scrape against the floors as her hair bounces along her shoulders. She tries to act cool, not wanting to get too heated up before she reaches the classroom with the bordered number 245 on the black sign hanging above the door.

Without hesitating in fear, she lays her fingers down on the handle of the door as she peeks into the classroom. Sure enough, in the far back next to the window, sits Jeonghan. His hair flowing over his shoulders as he leans a head on his hand. His eyes focus on the outside as he patently listens to the sound of his teacher drone on.

Boyoung backs away from the window to lean her back against the wall. Now what? She needs help. If she wants to get near Jeonghan, enough to find evidence, she can’t waste her time floating on the sidelines as everything bad happens again. She needs to confront Jeonghan.

She peeks through the window again, letting her gaze linger on Jeonghan’s nonchalant posture. Boyoung figures the best way to accomplish what she needs, is to shape up her acting skills.

The girl pushes her shoulders back, fluffs up her hair, and plasters a patent smile onto her lips. If only mom could see me now. The warm air curls around her like a deadly embrace. Her heart stammering a little as she reciprocates the curious glances that arise from her dramatic entrance into the classroom.

Act like you’re supposed to be here.

“The principal would like to see Yoon Jeonghan,” She breathes out in a timorous tone. The teacher coyly looks back at her, almost as if Boyoung is an insignificant bug trapped on the bottom of her foot. “Now!” The teacher’s ignorance works in Boyoung’s favor, as the woman gestures for Jeonghan to get up and leave.

Boyoung spins around and exits the classroom hastily—not waiting to see as Jeonghan packs up his white and blue backpack before following after her. The door shuts behind him, and slowly he begins walking down the hall. Leaving Boyoung to jog after him. She was hoping he’d ask her what the principal wanted with him; but, it seems like he doesn’t care. “Um, excuse me?”

The older boy looks back at her with an icy stare as his steps come to a stop. “You’re a junior, correct?” Boyoung pauses as she retracts some of her steps. “I don’t think I’ve seen you around before, so I’m just assuming.”

“I’ve been pretty quiet,” She says with a shrug. “But, the principal doesn’t actually want to see you.” Jeonghan lets out a sigh as he slouches his shoulders and runs a hand through his hair. Boyoung stares back at him in wonder. He doesn’t seem so shocked at what she’s saying.

“I figured.” He mutters with a nod.

He looks at her, and for a moment she thinks he might actually know her name, but instead he raises his eyebrows expectantly. “My name is Boyoung, and we have a serious matter to discuss.” Again, he doesn’t seem surprised as he nods his head and crosses his arms over his chest. Instead, he looks bored as he lets his eyes look her up and down.

“It’s about Chunja, isn’t it?” His jaw pulses, and she realizes he’s observing her with fascination and mild interest. And she possibly looks back at him with an equal amount of interest. He already knows? He only started the secret admirer thing a few weeks before today. “I’m surprised you’ve managed to figure it out that it’s me already.”

Boyoung tilts her head, “And yet you don’t seem surprised.”

“How much do you really know, Boyoung?” Her eyebrow raises, deciding that pacing the hall would be the best way to maintain her cool. Only six steps one way, and six steps back—making sure she doesn’t get too far away from him.

“Shouldn’t I be the one asking the questions?” Boyoung stops her pacing to face him. It’s obvious even to him that she doesn’t have all the pieces to the growing puzzle. What she does know, is that Jeonghan planted the gifts that belongs to the so-called secret admirer. In her mind, that means he possibly could be the secret admirer or could just be helping the true secret admirer. And, on top if it all, this stupid admirer is plotting away at a plan that will strike at her friend group in exactly one week from now. The plan will result in a school camping trip that lands her in a lot of trouble.

He scoffs, “What are you, a cop?”

“Why do you want to ruin Chunja’s and I’s friendship?” It’s a blunt question. But no matter how much she focuses on the past, she can only think of one reason why they wrapped her into the mess they did. For some reason, they didn’t want her so close to Chunja and she can’t figure out why.

Jeonghan his head to the side, “We have reasons.

We. He said we. Boyoung narrow her eyes. That means there’s either one other person involved, or multiple. “Do you actually like her?” Jeonghan pauses as his fingers trail through the ends of his hair. It’s a simple question. Yes or no.

“It depends.” He responds with a shrug.

Boyoung’s eyebrows crease, “I don’t understand, then why are you doing this?”

“Like I said, I have my reasons—if that means a few sacrifices for the greater cause, so be it.” He gestures to her, and Boyoung can only stare back with even more bewilderment then what she started with. If he or they don’t actually like Chunja then why are they doing this? Why are they messing with them? Why ruin their friendship? Why play with Chunja’s feelings? Why cause the car accident? Why cause that boy's death?

Boyoung’s feet nearly give out as goosebumps arise on the back of her neck. She hasn’t thought about him for years. She has yet to see the boy; but, she had rarely ever saw him in this period of time. When all of it happened, he just appeared one night out of the blue, and reintegrated himself into their life, and then he was gone because of them. “Who else is involved with this?”

His sly eyes grace over her body as he tightens the grip on his bag. “So, besides me, you don’t know anything,” He chuckles as he tilts his head closer to her—her body erupting in goosebumps. “You’re missing the big picture, look harder, little lamb.” Boyoung’s chest pounds in anxiety as the boy sends one last evasive smirk in her direction before leaving down the hallway. She panics as tears find their way to the brim of her eyes.

She’s the one from the future! How does she not know what’s going on? How does she not see the whole picture? She knows Jeonghan is involved with mess, and she knows the events that lead to the inevitable fallout. But why do these people—whoever they are—feel it’s necessary to do these things? What is their motive? Jeonghan (or whoever else) doesn’t actually like Chunja, then why mess with her feelings? Why make her like them? Why? Why are there so many questions and so little answers?

“Boyoung?”

She spins around at the cool hand which grazes her shoulder, meeting Soonyoung’s worried stare. Kwon Soonyoung is a handsome mess. His fringe hanging over his eyes, his glasses sitting on the end of his nose, and his uniform all sorts of messy. Whether it being from playing basketball earlier or from studying too hard.

“What are you doing here?” Her bottom lip quivers as the boy in front of her places down his books to straighten up and face her once more. “What happened? Are you crying?” He worriedly wipes away the tears that slip down her cheeks. His eyes haphazardly look around the hallway for anyone that could’ve possibly been there. But Jeonghan had left long before Soonyoung entered the hall.

“I don’t want to lose you guys again.” The broken girl mutters as she lets herself fall forward into his arms. Soonyoung quickly catches her before she plummets to the floor—leaving him shocked. He’s so confused; but, entirely too worried to focus on what she could possibly be doing in the senior building. And her words, her words confuse him even more. He wonders if she’s delirious. And by the way she mutters incoherent sentences into his shoulders, he truly believes she is.

His hand comes up to run through her hair, as the other wraps around her lower back. “You’re really worrying me, Bo.” And while she tries to slow her crying, Soonyoung pats her back and takes care of her in the only way he knows how. By taking her home.

 

▰▰▰

 

Boyoung keeps quiet walking beside Soonyoung. After discussing it with the nurse, he had managed to allow them the chance of leaving school early without dealing with repercussions. As for now, things are silent and overly awkward. The words she had said before, about her not wanting to lose them again, seems to weigh on Soonyoung’s mind as he keeps to himself a few feet separating them as they walk side by side. Boyoung doesn’t notice the weird vibe coming from her best friend as she merely focuses on the earlier conversation she had with Jeonghan.

She had really done it. She confronted Yoon Jeonghan. And, damn, he was harder to talk to than what she had imagined. She can only hope that he will talk to her more tomorrow. And this time, she hopes he won’t be as intimidating as he had been earlier.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Soonyoung’s dark eyes zigzag as he assesses her appearance. “You look a bit better.” He mumbles—more to himself than to her. Soonyoung is sweet, kind, and unbearably awkward as he shuffles beside her but keeps a good distance.

Boyoung nods, “Yeah, I think I’m better.”

“What happened? And why were you in the senior building? Juniors aren’t allowed there, especially at study time.” Boyoung nods her head at his dad voice. Sounding like an overbearing teacher with his serious tone. At the moment, she can’t figure out whether he’s concerned or angry with her.

Her eyes dart along the concrete path they walk on as her fingers tighten on the grip of her backpack. “I had to do something…something important.” The whole secret admirer plot doesn’t make sense if no one truly likes Chunja. Unless they’re trying to get under her skin. What better way to do so then to mess with one’s feelings? But Boyoung can’t remember what messing with Chunja’s feelings did to her. Because, after the events happened, Boyoung convinced her parents to send her to an entirely different school in upstate Seoul—away from her past. Meaning, she had no involvement with them during the end of the school year. And she doesn’t know what might’ve happened to Chunja’s feelings during that time and what it may have resulted in.

For now, she just has to keep at Jeonghan. If she can figure out what’s with him, then maybe he’ll leak one of his seemingly many secrets. Including who else is involved. “What do you mean important?” Soonyoung grips her arm, stopping her from walking any further. “Did someone hurt you?”

Yes, you did.

“No, nothing like that.” She laughs—hoping he’ll look past the way her voice slightly raises an octave and how she dodges eye contact with him. “I just had to talk to someone…” She pauses to glance back up at him. He looks a bit perplexed; nonetheless interested. “About school work, that’s all.”

He doesn’t seem to buy it. Of course, out of everyone, Soonyoung knows her best. And if Jun can figure out when she’s lying, then so can Soonyoung. Unsurprisingly, he doesn’t say he knows. He just gives her a look. His eyes narrow, he pushes his glasses up his nose, and he frowns at her. Telling her that he’s disappointed that she’s lying; but, he’s also not going to force her to say the truth.

The rest of the walk is silent. Which is normal for them. Soonyoung and her never talked that much. They were the type of friends who worried over each other in silence, and only talked when conversations were needed. Other than that, the pair rarely conversed. Only communicated through looks and nods—like their own language. The rest of the group never understood their silent conversations either.

“I’ll come over a bit later to help with your homework, alright?” Soonyoung pats the top of her head as he darts up the steps of his house before entering his home. Possibly to be greeted by his overbearing mother—his mother who, wholeheartedly, dislikes Boyoung. On the other hand, Boyoung grudgingly walks up the steps of her own house. Her mother’s new Mercedes (the one her father had bought her) sits in the driveway, signaling that she’s home.

Her parents, they’re interesting people. Her father was the type of man who worked constantly. She rarely saw him growing up. He usually left the house before she went to school, spent his evenings at his office, and came home late at night. Some nights, Boyoung was convinced he didn’t return home at all. That new Mercedes, it’s his way of showing affection. He substitutes real love with gifts—as if it’s supposed to compensate. She never minded, it always tended to work in her favor. Moving to a different school after everything went down was all in thanks to her father. But her mother on the other hand? It broke her; but, she never showed it.

Her mother was always great at being delusional (still is), often pretending everything’s fine when their family is slowly falling apart. But, even so, Boyoung wasn’t about to burst her bubble. If only her mother knew that when Boyoung turned nineteen, that her father would ask for a divorce—and when Boyoung turned twenty, he’d finally get his way.

As a child, she always wondered if her father was a cheater. He was always late for supper—sometimes he didn’t come home at all for it. He was probably with his secretary, always being holed up with her. No, it probably wasn’t his secretary. He wasn’t that tacky. He wouldn’t choose a working-class woman. More likely a bored housewife to fool around with. She shudders at the thought.

“What are you doing home so early?” Her mother emerges from the kitchen.

Boyoung in a breath. She forgets how graceful her mother had aged (this is nearly exactly as she looks in the future) partly due to a few surgeries and miracle creams. People always say Boyoung is a mirror imagine of her in her youth: with warm brown eyes, and short chestnut hair. She always thought her mother was beautiful, the corners of worn with smile lines from her wide grin that she used often. But her confidence had taken a nosedive when her father decided he preferred women under thirty. And it’d be ruined in the future when Boyoung decides she no longer wants a relationship with the woman. Leaving her mother alone, in a big house, with nothing but bottles of wine and a fake image to uphold.

Boyoung drops her bag to the floor as her mother comes to stand in front of her. Despite her appearance being the same, there’s an air of incorruptibility surrounding her. Her mother is naïve in this time period, not knowing that her father is wanting a divorce from the woman; but, also wants to wait until Boyoung becomes an adult.

The thought makes Boyoung melancholy.

The girl was so careless when it came to her mother. She distanced herself from the one person that always took care of her. From the woman who needed her in a time of dread. What her father did to her mother, was awful; but, what Boyoung did was worse.

“Mom,” She cries as she reaches forward and envelops the woman into a hug. “I’m so sorry.” Boyoung wears the most sympathetic look she could muster as she clings to her mother’s body.

Her mother carefully grips her as a hand comes down to pat her back. “What happened?” Boyoung never realized as a child that to her father, affairs came before family. As long as he showered them with materialistic affection, all was right in the Oh household. And she didn’t realize what that did to her mother, or how it affected her in the future. And how hypocritical Boyoung was (or would be). She treated her mother like trash (always ignoring her and telling her off) while she allowed her father to buy her anything she wanted. When she knew, she knew, how heartbroken her mother was over all the cheating and the divorce.

She always thought her friends were the utmost horrible people on the planet, who knew that she was right there with them.

“I’ll protect you this time, mom. I promise!”