•Chapter One•

Breaking Solitude

" Take your seats every one! Class has started!" The 50 something  woman belts out from her small 5 foot 2 frame. Her pale slightly wrinkled skin paints an expression of ' I mean business' with a stance to match. Her arms covered in the maroon sleeves of her knee length dress are  stiff with her hands on her hips as she slowly paces the front of the room observing her class. Though her words and body language put off a vibe of 'my way or the highway' her eyes give away her playful spirit. Her eyes have a glint of mischief and a friendly sparkle, which can only mean she puts up this façade for the first  few classes to establish dominance over her students  before she ultimately  falls back in line to her natural attitude.

I take out my new lavender 3 ring notebook and place it on my desk along with a smooth black pen. I take a small glance around the room trying to gage the other students. The girl to the right of me looks nervous. She must be a new transfer student. She twirls her shoulder length dirty blonde hair around her perfectly manicured pale blue nails. She has a light tan that comes off orange which tells me that she's an avid self tanner.  There's two guys sitting in front me, one with a  siky looking messy man bun, and the other has shorter yellowish blonde hair. 

"Even though most of you had my class last semester, I'm seeing a few new faces in here, so I'm passing out this semesters syllabus. Read, study, and memorize it because next week there's going to be a test on it. I expect everyone of you to know all of my rules and expectations"  The professor spoke out in an authoritative voice.  I nodded along with her and pulled out my planner to write down the roughly when the test would be.  After a slight pause, the professor went on with her hour and a half long psychology lecture.

 

 

With 20 minutes left of the class, I was in my note taking groove to the point it was really like a trance like state; that is until the door to the lecture Hall slammed shut. I looked up, along with the rest of the class, to see a tall guy wearing a navy blue hoodie and tan slim cut jeans, along with black nikes to match his black hat and and dark grey backpack. 

" You're late. If you don't come on time then why come at all?" The professor questioned.

" Sorry, I missed my bus this morning," the guy replied back. His voice was deep and rich and instantly stole my attention, his voice playing over again in my mind.

" Find  an open seat, if there is one," The professor said as she gestured him off, and fell back into her lecture. I shook the voice from my head and started to take notes again, just to get inwardly frustrated that the groove I was in was ultimately broken. Seconds later I could hear a chair move across the floor and a soft thunk. I look to my left to see the once  empty plastic chair is now filled with a young twenty something year old male that smells like a mix of sandalwood and lavender.  I do my best to block out his presence and to continue taking notes.

A few minutes later the lecture is over and since I have some time to speae before the next class starts, I write the main points of the lecture at the bottom of my notes, sort of like a conclusion.

"Hey,"  A deep voice said,  I look to my left  to see the late Comer looking at me.

"Uhm, Hey.." I say in more of a question than a greeting, looking at him a bit unsure as to why he's talking to me at all.

"So I missed the beginning of class and was wondering if I could borrow your notes?" He said with a flirty smile. Is this guy forreal? He's asking me for my notes? It took years and trial and error to create the perfect note-taking system, and he wants me to just hand over my notes? And what's more he thinks I'll hand them over because of his flirty aura? 

"No, " I said as matter of factly, while putting my things away and slinging my backpack over my shoulder.

"No? Why..not?" He said, obviously not able to understand why I'd say no.

" Because if you really valued the class you would have been here on time," I said pushing in my chair

"But I missed-"

" When you came in you had blotchiness on the right side of your face, not to mention your multitude of yawns during the what, 20 minutes you were here? You weren't late because you missed your bus, you were late because you over slept, and considering your slightly bloodshot eyes and how much water you were drinking, I'm guessing it's because you're still slightly hungover." 

His jaw went slightly slack and his eyes were filled with awe and curiosity.

"So no, you can't have my notes." I said with a whisper of irritation, and walked past him towards the door.

"How did she know.." I heard him say quietly behind me. 

I looked at my phone to see the time. I had 40 minutes before my next class, and decided to get some food. 

"What to eat, what to eat.." I thought to myself as I plugged my headphones into my phone, and let the melodious  'The girl from Ipanema' flood into my ears and fight the urge to sing along. After a slight mental debate I ended up walking to the Thai restaurant a few minutes off of campus. Despite being a short walk from a university, it still managed to be a fairly unknown hole-in- the-wall place that made an unbelievably good thai food. 

I walked in  and took out an earbud. I made my past the tables to the small podium in the back, where you pay and pick up to go orders. 

"I'll have my usual today," I said with a smile as I placed my order with Rune.

"Of course," He said with a smile to die for. When I first moved here for college 2 years ago, I didn't know anyone. Rune was in my class, and offered to show me around campus and good restaurants that wouldn't break my college kids bank. Naturally the number one place he showed me was the restaurant his family owned. He became one of my few good friends, and is protective of me like an older brother.  A few seconds later Rune came back from the kitchen holding  a couple of fortune cookies, which we always eat while we wait for his older brother to cook the food. 

" How was the first class of the semester?" Rune asked while handing me  a fortune cookie.

" It went well. I have professor Riggers for Psychology," I said as I opened the thin plastic wrapper, and letting it fall on the dark wood table that separates Rune and I. 

"She gives out alot of surprise tests, so make sure you stay on top of your game," I flash him a look.

"Not that you're ever off of it," He continues with a smirk.

"After class this guy asked for my notes." I said nonchalantly, immediately followed by half of the yummy homemade fortune cookie.

"Oh so you're here to hide from the cops?" Rune said with out skipping a beat. I look at him a confused face, which he responds visually with a smirk,

" You're know, because you obviously killed him. I know how ridiculously over protective you are over your notes." He finished with a light laugh, which without fail makes me laugh airily. 

A few minutes later, Chai, Rune's brother, walks in holding two large plates of pad thai. He set them down infront of us  and lightly ruffled Rune's hair, which he hates, and sent a wink my way before going back to the kitchen to fulfill the other orders. 

●●●●●●●

After an early lunch with Rune, I made my way to my next class. I sat near the back of the lecture room on the end of the row. As the professor took his place, a small stream of students fled into the room. I busied myself with setting up my notebook for this lecture when I sensed someone sat next to me.  I didn't think too much of it until the scent of sandalwood and lavender wafted over, intruding on my personal bubble.  I let out a sigh in disbelief as I turn to my right to see the same guy from my last class sitting a chair away from me.  

"This is Human Ecology and I'm Professor Leightman, so if you're in the wrong class, don't waste your time and get out of my lecture Hall." A male voice boomed throughout the room. After the syllabus was past out along with a few strict rules made clear, he began with his lecture. Once again I was in my note taking trance, letting the information seep into my head, and letting my mind filter out the important pointment, then having my hands spill them out over the crisp pages of my notebook.  

Sooner enough my class was over. Ask quickly as I could I packed my things and walked out the back door, and headed towards the dorms. Partly because I wanted to be far away from the strange guy that keeps poping up in my classes, and partly because I have and hour  and a half to change and get my behind to work halfway across town. 

■■■■■■■■■■■

So this is the first chapter! I didn't proof read it, and my phone has a nasty little habit of autocorrecting to things that don't make sense.

I hope you like it! Please leave your feedback below in the comments!