Orange

Our Rainbow Days
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It seemed like yesterday to Ha Young when she went to school for the first day. Everyone was wearing uniforms with bright colored backpacks on their backs, there were sounds of cheering and crying at the same time. Ha Young was so excited to meet her old friends from kindergarten that she couldn't sleep until midnight. She stepped out from her father's limo and her parents waved her goodbye. Ha Young walked inside wearing an orange scrunchie with much confidence of a series of happy days waiting ahead of her. She was this kid who always wore her hearts on her sleeve and smiled like a little dork, and everyone was fascinated with her delightful personality. She easily made friends with all of her classmates and became popular for being rich and beautiful just after the first day.

Ha Young was walking around and looking at the view. Gura Elementary School sure wasn't small. She got lost after crossing the bridge and walking into the garden. She saw a little boy falling from an orange tree and hit on the ground. The boy looked up to see her staring at him curiously. She gave him a hand to help him stand up. 

"Thank you." - He said. He immidiately remembered her, because she was showing her "rabbit" smile again.

"What are you doing here?" - She asked, wondering if he got here then he could show her the way out.

"Picking oranges. You want some?" - The boy took one that fell from the tree and placed it on his other hand to give it to her. His face was covered with scratches and blood pouring from his nose. Ha Young covered with her hands and widened her eyes as being surprised.

"Are you okay?" - She said while trying to clean the blood on his face with her hands. She then realized it was not a solution because his face was still dirty and her hands were full of blood.

"It's fine. I'm always like this. Nobody would care anyway." - He looked at the ground while tears were running out of his face slowly as he was suffering the pain from falling down. Suddenly Ha Young grabbed his hand and held it tightly. He turned his face towards her and she nodded lightly. His sad face was replaced with a smile as they were walking out of that place.

"My name is Kim Tae Hyung."

"I'm Cho Ha Young."

They became best friends ever since.

  ..........................................................     It was another dream about their first encounter she had ever since Kim Tae Hyung was returned to her life, approximately a month ago. It was not the first time she realized that the roles had been switched either. Back in the days, Ha Young had always been the popular one, and Tae Hyung was the lonely kid, but now it was vice versa. She rolled her head a few times on the pillow, struggling to wake up for school.

"Wake up sleepyhead, time for school!" - She heard her grandpa's voice from downstairs, doing what he usually did everyday.

"Not going!" - The girl pulled the blanket over her head and her face located on the pillow, pretending to be asleep.

"That same boy is standing at our door waiting for you!"

Everyday since she wore that red cardigan, he waited in front of her house and threw his lollipop stick through her window in order for her to go outside and together they walked to school. Ha Young rolled out off bed and looked out of the window to see Tae Hyung sticking his tongue out, his eyes was closing. "Silly." - Ha Young thought. After 15 minutes of doing the girly routine, she went downstairs, said goodbye to her grandpa and left the house.

Ha Young saw her best friend leaning on the wall waiting for her while playing Angry Birds patiently, the game she hated the most because she couldn't play it. He turned his head left side to see her looking at him, frowning.

"What is it that I do to annoy you at this time of day?" - He asked, still playing.

"Nothing. Let's go." - She shook her head and started walking, leaving him behind. He saw her walking away, then hurrily ran to her and put his arms around her shoulders. "Let's go."

"I've been thinking. What are the things you bring if you're stuck on an island forever?" - Tae Hyung started the conversation.

"Um, probably clothes, my travelling kit and a pillow. Ah how can you ever think that we can get stuck on an island... Well how about you?"

"My MP3 player. It's enough for me." - Then he took out the iPod shuffle from his blazer's pocket, plugged one of his earphones and gave one to her.

To listen to the song, click here.

"Feel it in the sunrise, even in the night time

It's hard to adjust now cause you ain't around"

"Are you sure that's the only thing? You obviously need colorants as well. You dyed your hair again. Aren't you afraid you're going to be bald in the future? Then no girls will like you." - Ha Young said while looking at the streaks of sunlight shining on his new orange hair.

"Every girls like me. Except for one."

"Who that lucky person might be?"

"You. You're my best friend, you're not supposed to like me." - He said. After that it was awkward silence. Ha Young noticed that a man wearing all black was following them, but she didn't care much.

"How long was the Joseon dynasty?" - Tae Hyung attempted to break the silence.

"Hmm 200 years who knows who cares?" - Ha Young was walking and looking at her shoes.

"The answer is 505. Too bad, you're gonna fail the oral test today." - He took out a candy from his pocket and put it in his mouth after uncovering the wrapper.

"There is an oral test today? Damn." - She closed her eyes trying to remember what the teacher had said that day, but all she'd done was dreaming on cloud nine. She had failed Korean History in the second year so she had to attend the class again this year, and of course she didn't want to study that the third time. Ha Young punched her head a few times, being upset for not paying attention.

"Kidding. Haha." -  Tae Hyung bursted into laughter.

Ha Young knelt to untie his shoelaces and ran away as fast as a rabbit. She didn't forget to turn around and stuck her tongue out at him. He chase after her and pulled her backpack in order for her to stop. He put his arms around her shoulders again, this time tighter. Then they talked about every topics possible.  

Since their houses were just 10-minute walk from the school, they were in front of the school already after a long chat. They parted ways to go to their classes.

"Who's that chick with you?" - Ji Min (another popular boy) asked Tae Hyung and threw the basket ball to his stomach. He quickly caught it.

"Just a friend."

"I saw the girl with you for about a month now. Any special feelings?" - Ji Min gave him his signature mischievious glance.

"Very funny. You know who I like." - Tae Hyung threw the ball back at Ji Min. Together they went to Math class.

 

......................................................

 

English was Ha Young's weakest subject ever. She never imagined having a C on any English test. The highest that she got was a B- with the help from her genius ex boyfriend Jung Kook (from the basketball team). She tried to open her eyes and pay attention to the lesson but who couldn't help falling asleep when Mrs. Han was the teacher. Ha Young opened her left eye and leaned half her face on the books. She unlocked her phone and clicked on the conversation of her and Tae Hyung on Messenger. All this funny conversations they had about the recent Biology projects they had done together about rare species and sharing random vines. Suddenly there was a part about a plan to see Hyukoh performing at a local bar and the date was today. How could I forget this? It will be so embarrassing for me if he remembers, but I'll be so upset if he doesn't. Hmm let's see it for ourselves. Ha Young scrolled down to the white bar where she could write.

Ha Young Jo:

Hey what are you doing right now? 

Tae Hyung Kim:

Busy at the moment :(

Ha Young Jo:

Do you remember what plan we have today? ;)

Tae Hyung Kim:

Wut?

Ha Young Jo:

Solace Bar, 5PM :?

Tae Hyung Kim:

...

Seen 9:08AM

What the actual did he just "seen" me?

Ha Young put her phone on the table and yawned. Tears made her big eyes watery because of sleepiness. She turned her head to the other side and saw her ex's table was empty.

"What might happen to him?" - She held that thought and it brought her to sleep.

The bell

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter