Final

Just Once
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jihoon stayed up later than the others tonight, though he usually does this still he finds it odd to still be in the practice room when everyone had left. He had thought of finishing a song with the tune he kept on repeating while they were performing their recent title track along with their sunbae Super Junior’s song, though both were in some ways alike he could particularly hear the differences in it. One was sweeter and smooth while the other might be ragged still it was powerful, enough to keep his mind pre occupied that he didn’t notice someone enter his workroom until he tapped his comparatively dainty shoulders.

“Hyung,” was all he managed to say as Seungcheol came to sit beside him in the rather small stool adjacent to the piano he was trying to play but the older one merely nodded his head and proceeded to rest his head on the smooth black cover of the piano.

His mere proximity sent his awareness rocketing sky high seeing finer details about him that were not as noticeable, like the purple bags under his eyes that even the amount of concealer the stylists use cannot fully cover, or the fine lines around his eyes an unspoken evidence of the stress he’s in because of being a leader and at the same time eldest in  a group of thirteen chaotic children and most of all the tightening in his cheeks caused by the constant weight loss he seemed to be going through and though he knew these were the consequences of being an idol, Jihoon couldn’t help but feel worried which was why he always try to lighten his burden.

“Will you play something for me?” he almost choked when Seungcheol suddenly spoke, not only had he been thinking so much he also kept staring at his face which he found awkward, so much for your consuming thoughts.

“Well, I can’t play if you’ll keep your face buried in that cover.” he joked lightly but as he expected the other didn’t laugh, why can’t he be funny like Seokmin or Seungkwan anyway? Lifting the lid a few dust particles flew next to him and apparently on Seungcheol too for he sneezed a little too loud he almost let go of the lid, he apologetically made the peace sign at him rubbing his nose along, such a cutie.

“What song?” he queried noticing the way the other seemed to be dozing off.

“Hmm, the one you’ve been humming since dinner.” the older said casually, eyes still closed both hands tucked on the space between his knees and thighs.

“Did everyone hear? I’m planning to write that as a surprise for our debut anniversary but if everyone–

“No I just listened more closely since you seem to be enjoying it.” Seungcheol cut him off before he could even finish his sentence and as much as he hated being interrupted he was glad the others didn’t hear but then …

“Hyung how could you!” he exclaimed, what’s the point of giving out a surprise if one of the members already knew there’ll be a surprise and to make matters worse, the specific person he was meaning to write it for is the one who knows.

“Well, it seemed like a really good one so I eavesdropped.” The other scratched his nape a little, making him look damn attractive and adorable at the same time it made his heart pound annoyingly. So he glared at him instead not wanting to show how such actions from him affected him in every single way possible, but instead of catching on the meaning of his annoyed looked the older one made it a point to continue his aegyo outburst.

“Stop that.” he protested in the most angry resembling manner he could muster because truthfully he just wanted to wrap his arms around the other, as what happens everytime he tries to act childish.

“Come on just one verse, our Woozi.” again his thoughts soaring on its own, on the alternative universe where Seungcheol would actually call him, his.

“Fine fine just stop acting so atrociously.” he sighed defeatedly and shaking his head at the older one who did a little happy dance at his response.

Setting his hands on the piano, he envisioned the melody that was playing inside his mind transforming them into visible patterns forming along the keys, the little minimal differences created by the alternating presses on the black and white surface. It had always been like this for him ever since he started writing music, it had become a feeling coming out from the depths of his mind reverbating from his heart to his nimble fingers its output transferred either on a piece of paper or like right now, on the keys of the piano.

As the song went on, Seungcheol realized that it was about the night, its wonders, beauty, the calming sense of it and well its darkness. He remembered the first few months of being a trainee, everything he had thought it would be turned out to be something that wasn’t what he had expected, yes he knew that the trainees were supposed to be doing everything they can to hone their God-given talents or otherwise create something out of their nonexistence but what he didn’t expect was that they had to do menial tasks for the company as well. Sweeping the floors he could take, but scrubbing the basement off of shoe prints, polishing the mirrors in the practice rooms and heck even repainting some peeling paint jobs in their dorms rooms proved to be just too much.

He remembered calling his mother about it and how she dismissed it, saying that as far as success is concerned hard work must be seen in all its aspects, though of course being the rebellious teenager he had been back then he didn’t listen he even stopped participating in the assigned tasks and contented himself in locking away in the sanctuary of the piano and the music that was playing so loud in his ears to ward off everyone.

But then everything had changed when Jihoon came in, he overheard some of the staffs saying they’ve finally recruited someone who has a shot to finally change the game for them something that piqued his interest, the Korean music industry isn’t actually known for having artists who self produce their songs yet here they are bragging about the new trainee. Though he was curious he held himself back, its not like he’s not going to meet the guy in group dance practices or weekly evaluations anyway and of course where is the fun in meeting a new person so early when they’d be seeing each other for so long since debuts are not as frequent.

The first time Seungcheol truly saw the famed guy was when he decided to run away, of course you wouldn’t really lose that rebellious streak until you’ve realized that it would get you in no place closer to your dreams but that night it felt immensely satisfying to finally be able to run and feel the night breeze from the Han river beat his face, liberating to let out all his frustrations into a scream that would surely hurt his throat in the morning but he couldn’t care less for he felt unstoppable. After exhausting himself he lay on the grass, his body shivered as he did so an indication that if he continued to lie on the dan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter