Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes

    Jeonghan’s eyes shone like the stars.

 

    In them there were dreams and heartbeats and everything that Joshua wanted to be, and the latter would be damned if he didn’t think about drowning in those eyes of his every waking moment of his life. Now wasn’t the time for that, though, not with Jeonghan’s soft lips just close enough to nearly brush against his own and the heat radiating off of his body more than enough of a substitute for the blanket that had been discarded to the floor at one point or another in the night.

 

    It was a game, almost, to see who would give in and touch the other first. Their legs were close, collectively taking up the entirety of the bed in their sprawled out positions, though it was not quite enough for them to tangle together and keep the other tied to the bed. No, it was never quite enough. Jisoo felt himself inching forwards minute by minute, and he was certain that he would be the first to cave; though, of course, for pride’s sake, he told himself that he’d hold out for longer - always just a bit longer. With both lying on their sides, their hands were between them, though yet again, separated by a mere few centimeters of air. Not that they needed to touch, though; Joshua had long since mapped out every crease, every crack, every vein in Jeonghan’s hands. He knew exactly what they would feel like once their fingertips brushed together, Jeonghan’s soft skin an intoxicating contrast against Joshua’s own, slightly drier (though such a difference was evident only to the two).

 

    The taste of hot chocolate was resting heavily on his tongue in spite of the fact that it had easily been hours since the two had settled side by side on the couch, mugs in their hands and smiles on their faces. It tasted like Jeonghan, he thought passingly, the sweetness which allowed him to forget everything else for just a moment and the heat that burned his tongue but failed to deter him from going back for more. Yes, he mused, that was most certainly Jeonghan.

 

    “You’re staring, Jisoo,” noted Jeonghan, fairy like voice sending a shiver down Joshua’s spine - not that that was the most important thing to him at the moment, though, not with the subtle movement of those beautiful lips right in front of him.

 

    “Yeah,” he replied, head not clear enough to realize that he had spoken in English, “yeah.”

 

    Jeonghan scoffed but oh, god, it was music to Joshua’s ears. So ended their conversation, falling back into a silence which fell somewhere in the indistinguishable area between ‘comfortable’ and ‘awkward’.

 

    Joshua thought about Jeonghan. About his sharp features, about his endearing (or so Joshua found it) attitude, about his lips that were so damn close to his own that he could feel each and every hot breath that Jeonghan took, and, yet, they still weren’t touching.

 

    Joshua always got that look on his face, Jeonghan thought, when he was lost somewhere deep within his own conscious, his cat-like eyes narrowing ever so slightly and his plush lips parting almost indistinguishably.

 

    “What are you thinking about?” came the soft question, another attempt at a conversation - though both knew that it would eventually die out in favor of more silence, as the multitude of others had.

 

    “You,” answered Joshua, never once removing his eyes from Jeonghan’s own.

 

    “What a broad answer,” Jeonghan noted, though didn’t push any further. He was quite satisfied enough with that.

 

    “I suppose so, yes,” Joshua agreed faintly, his mind quite obviously not in the present. That was how Jeonghan liked him the best, though, with his head full of flowers and his eyes full of starlight.

 

    “And what if I told you I was thinking about you?” challenged Jeonghan, more eager than he intended to let on to hear Jisoo’s answer.

 

    Joshua hummed, deep in thought, before providing the answer, “That would make me happy.”

 

    “I’m thinking about you.”

 

    “I’m happy.”

 

    Jeonghan giggled, light and airy and so absolutely precious that Joshua swore he would give everything he had if he could just freeze that moment in time and never leave it, and he broke, reaching out and entwining his fingers with Jeonghan’s own. His skin was about as cold as ice, and Joshua held him that much tighter because of it.

 

    “Why are you so warm?” asked Jeonghan, running his thumb mindlessly across the back of Joshua’s hand.

 

    Joshua had no answer to give this time, eyes focussed on how perfectly Jeonghan’s spindly fingers fit within his own, as if they were two pieces of a puzzle just meant to be that way, no matter how utterly cliche the thought might’ve been.

 

    How many times had they done this, he wondered? How many midnights had they spent lying side by side, running careful fingers across each other’s skin as if the slightest of touches might break the other? How many four a.m.’s had they spent staring into each other’s eyes, both still awake just for the sake of the other despite how heavy their own eyelids felt? How many nights had they just been together? Certainly those moments were innumerable, and yet Joshua’s heart still fluttered as though each time was the first. He didn’t mind that, he decided. He didn’t mind falling in love with Jeonghan again every time that he saw him. No, not at all.

 

Jeonghan gave in, too, legs finally lacing together with Jisoo’s, and everything felt so right. Their hearts were pounding in their chests, their breaths were quickening, and their stomachs were full of butterflies - it was like they were teenagers again, bright eyed and hormonal and scared of everything but eager all the same.

 

    Just as Jeonghan’s warm breaths against his skin were about to drive him crazy, Joshua leaned forward - no more than an inch, certainly - and pressed his lips against the other’s, gently at first, though it quickly devolved into both kissing each other as though they’d never get the chance to kiss each other again, and they both might just die if they didn’t do it then.

 

    And, , it was so good.


    Everything was so good.