CHAPTER 3

The Music Box
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yixing glances at his watch while his daughter sat focusing her attention on the box he had given her. ‘We should go home for lunch Princess.’ He whispers in her ear, the soft skin of her white neck with his tender fingers. ‘Oh where is Snow?’ he chuckles, casting his gaze around the park looking for the dog. He stood up and stretched before he offers his hand to his daughter. Katy watches him and reach for his hand then calls Snow who came out from the playhouse. The dog rushes happily towards her then they start to walk back home.

‘That was a beautiful story, Papa.’
‘I knew you’d like it.’
‘I always love your stories, I love the box and it will be my most treasured possession.’ She said, clutching the box next her chest.

The worry clouded Yixing’s mind again as they were nearing back to their room. He can recall the emotion his wife had given him when he walked inside their home. He had a feeling that she had given up on their relationship but he tries to shake it off that it seems impossible. However he can see that there was a distant look in her eyes that hadn’t been there before. He is just hoping his thoughts are just playing with him.

They returned Snow to Mrs. Ho and the dog had settled down back in his house seems exhausted from his short play in the playground. ‘The poor thing seems tired. It seems that he had not bitten you so that means he likes you.’ The old lady smiles at Katy.
            Katy followed her father up the street. ‘Mama will be happy that I made a friend and I can now walk Snow anytime I like.’ Happy that Mrs. Ho was very happy to let her walk her dog. ‘Good job Princess.’ Yixing praises his daughter making the little girl’s smile proudly at herself.
            ‘Papa, I made your favorite dish with Auntie Ching.’ She added.
            Yixing grinned. ‘Is it Dong’an Chicken?’ he asked and she nodded. ‘Oh Princess I don’t deserve you.’
            ‘Of course you do. You are the best Papa in the whole world.’ Katy hugged her father showing her affection and admiration to Yixing. He knew that she meant it.

‘Master Yixing, Madam Mia is already waiting for you to have lunch. She sent me here to look for you.’ Ching says a bit tired from walking.
            Yixing strode up to her, disarming her with his smile. ‘You won’t have now Ching, I heard that there is Dong’an Chicken for lunch.’ He says as he walks to the hall with Katy holding his hand.
            ‘Yes Sir, Katy made it by herself.’ The maid added to give credit to the little girl, following them to the dining room.
            Mia was already sitting on her chair waiting for her daughter and husband to settle in as well. Katy kisses her mother before she washes her hands for lunch. Yixing also walks close to his wife, placing a kiss on her forehead before he washes his own hands and settles on his chair around the table.

‘Mama, Guess what.’ Katy says; taking her mother’s attention. ‘Papa told me the legend of the box he had given me. It was beautiful.’ Mia smiles at her daughter seeing the gleam in her eyes. Yixing’s stories have always this effect on their child, knowing Katy adores her father so much. Mia tries her best not to show the tense feeling she is experiencing with the presence of her husband. She tries not to look at Yixing’s eyes not wanting to ruin the happy mood that had filled their dining room. She reaches for the Dong’an Chicken, serving it to her husband. ‘Katy made this for you this morning.’
            ‘So I’m told, you are very good to me, Katy.’ He said truthfully.
            ‘She certainly is.’ Mia says dryly. She wanted to add that he is not worth to receive her love, but she restrained the impulse with a glass of juice. ‘She worked all morning to prepare this meal for you.’
            ‘Oh Papa hasn’t seen his room yet.’ Katy says excitedly.
            ‘What have you done with the room?’ Yixing asks curiously looking at his daughter
            ‘You’ll see.’ Katy says, looking at her father’s plate. ‘Try it now Pa. Is it delicious?’ Yixing then take a small part of the dish and hums in delight. It was delicious like it was not made by a 7-years-old child. He gave his compliment to his daughter that fluttered Katy.

They let Katy do all the talking while they have their lunch and it gave Mia some time to divert her attention to her emotions.

‘Also Mama, Remember the dog at Mrs. Ho?’
‘What about him sweetie?’ Mia smiles at her.
‘Papa and I took him on a stroll in the park. His name is Snow and we are friends already.’ She tells her happily. ‘And I can take him for a walk when I want to. Mrs. Ho was happy to let me do it.’
‘That’s lovely s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter