CHAPTER 1

The Music Box
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Leiyang, Hunan, China 1997

With trembling hands, Mia withdraws the packet of cigarettes from her pocket taking a stick and lit it. In each inhale she felt the nicotine rushing through her lungs and to realize she was already in her fifth cigarette. She had managed to fill the room with smoke that can suffocate a person. Even though she had finished several sticks of cigarette it did not help her in relieving her anxiety, she eyes the clock that it made her grew more anxious as the second hand moves around.

It was half past eight in the morning, Mia was still standing near the window which she manage to open to let the smoke escape from her room, the room that she shared with her husband whom she haven’t heard or seen for a very long time. It is also the main reason that made her feel uneasy. Her thoughts were distracted when her 7-years-old daughter came in and greeted her a pleasant morning. ‘Good Morning Mama’ says the little girl. Her name is Katy, she has black silky hair that reaches her shoulders, her skin is pale yet her cheeks are pink as a rose. She was skinny yet it fits her very well and when she walks she brings sunshine along with her which she inherits from her father. Mia can see her husband in their daughter that it added to the hurt in her heart. ‘Mama, Is it true that Papa is coming home today?’ asks the little girl, her eyes were full of hope. Mia nods putting out her consumed cigarette in the ash tray next to her. ‘Yes sweetheart, He will be here around lunch time.’ It made her daughter’s eyes sparkle in excitement and tells her that she will prepare his father’s favorite dish before she skips her way out of the room to the kitchen. Mia was once again left all alone with her thoughts.

Mia had always seen how her daughter adores her father, Yixing despite his absence in her life. She cannot understand that no matter how long Yixing is gone Katy still welcomes him with open arms and her love for her father grew even bigger. But for Mia her heart is tired of waiting and be neglected, she wants to discuss this later when her husband arrives. She is tired of pretending that everything is alright in their marriage which is not.

Katy was already in the dining room eating her breakfast that Ching had prepared for her. A Chinese woman that came from Xiangtan which Yixing had hired as their housekeeper. She was in her late forties yet works sufficiently. Katy was quick in finishing her meal and takes some of the things she needed for the dish she will make. ‘Xiao Mao’ means kitten ‘what are you going to do?’ ask Ching as she watches the little girl taking some bowls and spatula from the cabinet. ‘Papa will be coming home later at lunch, so I will prepare him his favorite dish Dong'an chicken’ she smiles happily already imagining how her father will enjoy the food she had prepared very well. Ching supervised Katy as she takes all the ingredients she needed, she also reminded her to be careful in handling a knife. ‘Your papa would not be very happy is he comes home with his princess losing some fingers.’ Katy kept that in mind and been very careful in everything she is doing.

Mia had made her way down her room to smell the aromatic scent of the dish her daughter was making, she knew immediately it is her husband’s favorite dish which she used to cook for him, now it was Katy’s turn to make it for her father. Mia walks her way to where her daughter was and Katy instantly acknowledges her mother’s presence. ‘Mama, can you taste if the flavor is okay?’ Mia took the ladle from her daughter and tastes the dish. ‘This is delicious sweetheart.’ She praised, Katy’s cheeks burn from her mother’s words knowing when she approves it her father would also love it. ‘I want it to be perfect for papa’

‘It will be sweetie, just do your best.’ Mia gives her daughter a soft kiss on her head before she left the kitchen going to the veranda of their house which gives her the view of her garden. This is how

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter