First Meeting : Chapter 1

First Meeting

The heavy drizzle didn't stop. But at least it wasn't pouring.It has been raining almost every other day. Strange. At this time of the season. Not that he cared anyway. He didn't care for much ever since that day he was called to office and handed the white envelope and the tags.

Since then, life was just passing by and he went on each day numbly. For the past 3 months, he found himself here despite the fact that he kept telling himself to let go. But seriously? What is there to look forward to? 

Yoo Young Geun swallowed the all familar lump in his throat and with misted eyes, he looked up to the grey skies, wondering for probably the 100th time if the Gods are cruel and if this is some sort of punishment for whatever he has done in his past life.

 

The memories kept coming back. Like being on rewind and replay.

 

Being a soldier, he always thought if anything, he would have left them both behind first. But no...In some twisted fate, his beloved wife ended up 6 feet under, long before him. A simple trip back to her hometown alone turned into a tragedy forever etched in his mind. He remembered the 3.48pm phone call that gripped his heart as clearly as if it was yesterday. He rushed over to the ER and was granted to hold her bloodied hands one last time as she whispered her final words and breathe her last. To say he was devasted was wrong because there probably isn't a word in the dictionary to properly put to it how he feels. That black abyss. But back then, he had his son. Thier son. For his sake, Yoo Young Geun pulled himself together and like father and son, they braved through her death.

 

Yoo Si Jin.

 

Their son. God, how he wished he listened to his wife. He should have insisted that Si Jin took the path of a lawyer or a doctor or whatever it is that decreases his mortality rate instead of being stupidly proud when a passionate 7 year old Si Jin declared, in the midst of a family dinner, that he is going to be like his appa when he grows up.

Oh, how his wife frets. And worries. And drums into him every single time he is at home and every single phone call he made to get that stupid idea out of his son's head.

Stop encouraging our son!

Then at 15, apparently and still, their son was very set on going the military path despite his poor omma's pleas to consider her heart.

Your son is going to be the death of me! Isn't it enough that I gave my husband to the country and now my son?! Do something!

And at Si Jin's graduation in West Point, he remembered his darling wife looking so proud and trying her best not to teared up while he reign in the smugness in him and marvelled at how his wife caved in to their son's wishes at the end.

 

Yoo Si Jin is so like him and yet like his omma. He had her smile, eyes and every good physical features. He is a determined kid, smart and is always good at what he does. Perhaps a little too smart, with words. He hears much from his son's military days. Albeit a little too much too. Thanks to a certain general who eyes him as a son-in-law. No surprise there. Si Jin is a perfect son and he couldn't have ask for more. So when a certain news reached him that he was being detained for disobeying commands, Yoo Young Geun sputtered and nearly choke on his morning coffee.

His son? His son, Yoo Si Jin?! To say he was worried is a given. But he trust his son. And just like always, he waits. Somehow, a woman was involved. A doctor. Or so Sergeant Choi accidentally spilled, somewhat bitterly.

Ah....Not the first time. He and his wife always pride themselves that their son is rather good-looking with brains and a good heart. If one could overlook that his job requires him to constantly put his life on the line, he is quite the husband material. Or so his wife believes. He cheekily assures his wife that their future daugther-in-law must really be something to deserve their son in which his wife retorted that THIER future daughter-in-law must really be insane for being with their son knowing the responsibilities he carries and his job nature. She added, Si Jin would be damn lucky if he first find such a woman and if the Gods smile on him, he would be smart enough to put a ring on her finger.

But you managed our marriage well. And I have no doubt our son would be able to find someone special for himself. She will definitely be a remarkable woman. Just like you.

His words to her put a full stop to the matter.

 

So he waited patiently for his son to bring it up. Nope. Not a single word. Not even when they were fixing each other up for their photo-taking session for his retirement, nor during dinners or breakfasts or lunches.

She must quite a woman. Because suddenly Si Jin wants to go fishing. Alone. The boy hates fishing. And since when he uses his vacation doing "useless stuff".  "Useless stuff" being running laps and working out. His vacation time, from what he gathers from Si Jin's team mates, is spent drinking with the boys and constantly going for blind dates. In his son's words to them, "Trying to get a girlfriend so I can get hitched and my father can hold grandchildren."

As much as he likes that, but really? He wished his son would tone down his playfulness a bit.

It wasn't until one fine day, or morning, that he woke up to a very drunk Si Jin on the couch. Very drunk judging by what? 14, 15 empty cans of beers littered around his living room.

God, he has resorted to drinking now?!

Somewhere in the midst of trying to wake him up and helping him to his room, his son slipped a few words. Among the mindless rumblings, a name. Repeatedly.

Kang Mo Yeon.

Ah, so this is the woman who put his son out of sorts and in such a state.

When Si Jin called back a week later, Yoo Young Geun thought there was a lift in his spirits. His heart leaped and swelled with much happiness when his own son wants him to meet someone very special. A certain, very pretty, doctor.

 

He never got to meet her.

 

Yoo Young Geun realized how his son will never experience this next part of life. Getting married to his doctor, waking up next to the love of his life, doing things a married couple do, having kids, being a husband and a father, growing old....Too young. Too soon.

His eyes sting with tears and no matter how hard he tried to blink them back, they flowed. With the back of his hand, he rubbed them away almost instantly. He felt so tired.

 

No.....Enough .Enough.

 

He has been standing here for what? A good 20 minutes? Just lost in time. Not that it is first. He is used to it now. The drizzle has mellowed down to a mere pitter-patter. He gripped the umbrella tighter and with a bunch of daffodils in his other hand, he set out with a heavy sigh and renew determination. Down and down the path to the cold slab that held no body.

A lone figure stood there today. It seemed Si Jin has a visitor.

He continued on. A woman? Squinting his eyes, yes. A woman. He had never seen a woman, not from the army, that is, at the "funeral". And Si Jin doesn't have much "civilian" women as friends. Quickening his steps just a little, he was eager to reach her and at least thank her when suddenly a thought dawns on him. He stops just a few steps behind her.

She held no umbrella. Her clothes were damp. Hair matted. God, how long did she stood under the heavy drizzle?

 

"Excuse me, miss...."

 

She turned. Wide bright eyes, puffy and red, b with tears...lips parted and confusion on her face. Possibly a tinge of irritation too at whomever that snapped her out of her reverie?

At that moment, he knew in his heart who this woman is. Even at his old age, and even though he is STILL in love with his dearly departed wife, he couldn't help wondering.

 

How could anyone look so beautiful when crying?

 

He could understand now why his son is so smitten. He is sure she is a spirited and lively one. Determined and definitely courageous. His wife would put in insane. Those eyes held that and the fact that she accepted their son.

He smiled. Perhaps for the first time in months. How could he have met her under such circumstances? Ah, she is waiting for him to continue. He ventured ahead.

 

"Dr Kang Mo Yeon?"