Not Just the Flu

1 Sick Kookie makes for 6 Worried Hyungs

Jin was overly worried when they arrived at BigHit studios. He had called Jungkook's cell phone over 20 times and had yet to receive an answer from the maknae. J-Hope pointed out that if Jungkook was practicing the choreography, the music could easily drown out the tiny sound of a ringtone, "or he could have put it on silent." He concluded. 

That didn't make him feel any better, so he kept gripping the steering wheel, driving as fast as he could. 

The 6 members arrived at the studio's staff parking lot at roughly 3:15 and once the car was parked, they had all jumped out of the car and started briskly walking towards the employee entrance, keeping in mind that if they ran and caused a ruckus, they might draw unwanted attention. 

The three of them split up once they got to their floor. Rap Mon and Suga would check the work studio, where they made lyrics in case Jungkook "had a half mind to actually get some rest." According to Suga. Jimin and V would go to the recording room in case Jungkook had wanted to practice vocals for whatever reason. And lastly, Jin and J-Hope would check the practice dance room where they last saw the golden Maknae. 

"What do you think he's been doing this whole time?" Rap Monster asked his elder as they headed towards the work studio. 

"If he had a brain, he would be sleeping." Muttered Suga, pushing the door open and finding darkness. "I swear, he needs to think sometimes before he kills himself."

"I know what you mean," replied Rap Mon, sighing. "But the kid just feels the need to prove himself, it's in his nature."

Suga flipped the light switch, turning on the overhead fixtures and showing them no sign of the aforementioned  Maknae. The leader sighed, louder this time. "Well, he isn't here" he said. "Maybe we should-"

"Guys!" The duo heard a frantic voice call "I found him! Come over here, quickly!" Jin shouted from the other end of the hallway. 

The two rappers shared a worried look and ran towards the door. 

"Aigoo, this kid" Suga said as he closed the door behind him while all the way thinking. 'Please be okay.'


Jin and J-Hope walked hurrily towards the practice room, both worried sick about their precious Kookie. 

"Do you think he's okay, hyung?" J-Hope asked his elder as they stopped in front of the door, slightly afraid of what was on the other side. 

"He's fine." Jin said, more to himself than to his dongsang. "He's fine." The eldest pushed the door open. 

At first glance, they didn't see anything. The room was mostly barren except for a few things and was eerily quiet. Regardless, Jin and J-Hope stepped into the dance studio anyways. 

"You get left and I'll get right?" Jin suggested so that they could cover more area. While the majority of the floor was empty and reserved for dancing, the sides of the room were packed with props, costumes, speakers, and other items. J-Hope nodded and the two fanned out and walked towards the wings of the room. A small part inside J-Hope wished that the maknae was playing a very evil prank on them, and would come popping out from behind the costume racks, scaring them, but they knew that their sweet dongsang would never do something that maniacal. Though the golden Maknae was imfamous for his mischief, he would never do anything that would make his hyungs worry for more than a few minutes. So with a heavy heart, he kept searching for his missing dongsang. 

Jin was scanning the ground when he found him. Just pushing the occasional pile of towels out of the way when he saw it, Jungkook's duffle bag and right next to him, Jungkook himself.

"J-Hope." Jin wispered and then raised his voice louder. "J-Hope!"

"Jin?" He heard V yell from across the hall. "What is it? Did you find him?!"

"Guys!" Jin yelled out even louder so that Suga and Rap Mon could hear him as well. "I found him! Come over here, quickly!"

There was a rumbling of footsteps and a collective gasp from the 5 new coming people. 

Jungkook was lying loosely on his side, body curled inwardly towards himself. His arms were hanging limply off of his shoulders as his entire body shuddered. Each breath the poor Maknae took was evident from the rattling in his lungs that reverberated through the room. His skin was a sickly, yellow pallor and not at all the smooth milky white that they were all used to. The loose shirt that he wore was drenched in cold sweat as was his hair. 

Jin knelt down beside Jungkook and pulled his body towards himself and gently feeling his forehead. His hands registered a drastic difference in temperature and he winced, looking up at the concerned members surrounding him. 

"He's definetly got a fever," he informed them, taking note of the alarming slightly blue-tinge lips. "but the rest of his body is cold as ice. We need to get him home as soon as possible."

"Poor Kookie." J-Hope said worriedly. "We should call manager-hyung as well. If Jungkookie is sick, he shouldn't overwork himself. That's what got him into this in the first place." 

"Agreed." seconded Suga. He felt like such a hypocrite saying that the maknae shouldn't be working too late when he himself usually was found more times in his studio than his bed, but that didn't mean it was a good habit. 

"I call taking care of him!" V proudly said as he raised his hand high and fluttered it around as if he knew an answer to the question before anyone else. The tension in the room quickly dispursed with the childish remark made by the band's second youngest, who was flashing everyone a boxy, wide eye smile.

"Actually," Jimin said, pulling V's hand out of the air and back at his sides, "I'm going to take care of my Kookie. Trust your hyung, V-ah." He smirked, pulling his seniority card against his dongsang. 

"I thought I told you, Jimin-ah," J-Hope added into the conversation "that he's my Jeon Jungkookie~! And he loves his Hopie-hyung the best~!" He sang out in a sing-song voice. 

"No~! I wanna take care of Kookie! We're nearly same age friends and so it should be me!" V whinned.

"But he loves his Hopie-hyung more~!" J-Hope sang again.

"Hey!" Jimin but in "I'm Jungkookie's favorite-"

"Stop, please" Rap Mon cut into their feud, rubbing the bridge of his nose in frustration. "You can all take care of him. Right now we need to focus on getting him home and resting properly." He derived their attention to Suga and Jin, who together had somewhat successfully managed to wrap their jackets around the febrile maknae and were trying to pick him up onto Jin's back. 

The rest of the maknae line gathered Jungkook's things and stuffed them into the duffle bag. Jimin had elected to carry the bag because "these muscles weren't just for show" and had wanted something to do than just stare helplessly at the suffering maknae. Rap Mon excused himself, telling the others to meet him in the van and he was going to call Manager-hyung to tell him the situation.

After the third unsuccessful attempt to balance the unconcious boy onto the eldest's back, Suga stopped. "Just give him to me, it's not going to work with all those jackets turning him into a burrito. He could fall." And, abandoning the entire idea of carrying the golden maknae on his back, Suga just picked Jungkook up at the back of the knees and his torso with his head resting on Suga's shoulder. "Let's go." he simply said as he silently lead the procession line out of the studio and back towards the van. 


The drive back home was somber.

Jungkook was still out when they reached the van, though his shivering had lessened considerably and his rattled breaths had turned into soft snores. He was nestled on Suga's lap, who had been to lazy to move him once he had gotten into the van so he just plopped down and refused to move. V, who had insisted he sit by Jungkook, had squished past Suga's middle seat in the back row and was mashed up aginst the window and his hyung. He was happy, though, playing with Jungkook's soft hair and brushing away any strays. Jimin and J-Hope sat in the row in front of Suga, Jungkook, and V. They neglected their seatbelts, though, and we're facing their Maknae, eyeing his sleeping form worriedly. Rap Mon sat next to Jin, who was driving and he had announced to everyone a few minutes ago that Manager-hyung had allowed them a few days off to rest and take care of Jungkook.

"How is he?" Jin asked. "Any better?" He called out to the back seat. 

"He stopped shivering around 15 minutes ago, but he still has a fever." J-Hope replied solemnly as he turned his body to face Jin in the front seat. 

"That's fine."Jin said as he parked the van and unfastened his seatbelt. "A cold I can handle. Suga, would you mind...?" He asked as he gestured at Jungkook and then motioned to the dorms.

"Yeah." Suga answered. "I got it. Dongsangs, get out first. I'll get out last. Don't wait for us, just go to the dorms and try and get some sleep. We still have 1 vocal lesson tomorrow and it's rude to be late."

The maknae line slumped their shoulders, but nonetheless started walking back towards the dorms. Very. Slowly. 

Once Suga got out of the car with Jungkook safely in his arms, Rap Mon slamed the door of the van shut, and they, along with Jin, started walking towards the dorms. It didn't take long to catch up with the youngers. They were walking dreadfully slow and their hyungs knew it too. Whenever they weren't tired to the bone, they would always race each other to the dorm door excitedly like the children they were. The "old people" would slowly make their way to the door, their dongsangs whining impatiently.

On the way across the street from the parking lot, a cold wind blew strongly on the 7 band members. All of them shivered and picked up the pace. Jungkook, who was still asleep, gave a faint whine and nuzzled his face into Suga's chest, trying to get away from the cold. The members all gave a noticable "Aw." at the adorable sight.


Once they got to the dorms safely, Suga deposited Jungkook on his shared bunkbed softly. Jin had busied himself in the kitchen and was getting some cold water and towels. While hurrying out of the room he had told his dongsangs to "Listen to your hyung. Go get some rest.", but he still found all 5 of them when he returned with the thermometer, medicine, cold water, and towels. 

"You aren't going to leave, aren't you?" He sighed as he set the water down and pulled up a chair to rest.

The maknae line gave him large grins.

"I thought not." Jin mumbled, sighing once more. "Go grab your blankets, but do it-"

"Yay!" V shouted with joy.

"...quietly." Jin finished his sentence in vain.

Jin brought out the thermometer and put it into the maknae's mouth. When it finally beeped, his temperature was 37.6oC. 

"That's a bit high..." Rap Monster comented while rubbing his chin worrily, his eyebrows scrunched in concern. He had read the thermometer from over Jin's shoulder "What should we do?" he asked turning towards Jin who was sitting on the chair that he had pulled next to Jungkook's bedside. 

"I'll just try getting his fever down." Jin replied. "If he wakes up, I'll make him take some cold medicine. If not, he can do it in the morning."

"Jungkook. Our Jungkook Willingly taking cold medicine?" Rap Mon pondered. "Now that is a day to be remembered."

Jin smiled softly as he changed the towel on Jungkook's forehead and the other members walked in, dumping their numerous blankets and pillows on the floor. 

The others quarreled for a bit, argueing over who would get to sleep closer to Jungkook on the floor. Eventually it was decided upon V going back up to the top bunk, Jin taking first shift and changing the cold towels, Rap Mon (who would take second shift) would sleep closest, and Suga (taking third) would sleep second closest. Jimin and J-Hope agreed to sleep the furthest (though there was only a few feet difference) from their precious Jungkookie.

At this time, it was nearing 4:15 in the morning and Jin and Rap Mon were switching shifts watching over Jungkook. 

Jin, being a bit careless, and also because there were blankets all over the floor, triped and landed on Rap Mon, who made a noise of surprise and woke the other members. 

"What's going on?" Jimin asked to no one in particular.

"Nothing." Jin answered soothingly. "I just triped. Go back to sleep."

"That didn't sound like nothing." V piped up. "Did you make a move on Rap Mon yet? Hold on, I need to tell the fans." he said mischeviously while reaching for his phone threateningly.

"V." Rap Monster said in a warning tone. While he was often praised for being level-headed and a great leader, it was late and he already had enough on his plate without a whole new surge of AMRYs asking about his 'dating' life. While their fondness of each other was purely a brotherly platonic love, they have on numerous occasions done bouts of fan service for the ARMYs' entertainment. The same thing went for all the other members as well. It was just one great, big pack of brothers. A crazy, disfunctional, hyperactice pack of brothers, but a pack of brothers nonetheless.

The leader got out of his makeshift bed and switched places with the eldest. "Get some rest, Hyung, we'll need it for vocal lessons tomorrow."

"No vocals." Jin yawned, "Practice was canceled, remember?"

"Right. Right." Rap Mon said, recalling the conversation with their manager just a few hours ago. He'd completely forgotten.

"Still," he countered, "it's not good to always stay up without sleeping. Go to bed, I'll wake you and the others if anything is wrong."

Jin gave another yawn in agreement and laied down. Within a matter of minutes, he was fast asleep.


It was at around 5 when things took a turn for the worse.

Rap Mon had done his best. He always changed the cold water on Jungkook's forehead whenever it had felt too warm, he'd always just dampened the towl so that he wouldn't be soaking the maknae's head in unwanted moisture, and he checked his temperature every 20 minutes. Nothing should have gone wrong, but something did.

At roughly 5 (4:58 to be exact if you were going by V's digital alarm clock on the bedside table) Rap Mon retook Jungkook's temperature. He had been pressing the freshly changed cold towel on his head for 18 minutes or so. When the small thermometer beeped it analysis, the leader's eyes widened almost comically. 41.2o C. Then, as he was trying to feel Jungkook's temperature for himself to make sure that the reading was acurate, the maknae started to cough again, waking everyone in the room. Upon hearing the hacking, throat tearing coughs rip from their golden maknae's throat, all the members looked to their precious dongsang concerned and worried.

"Jin." Rap Mon asked his hyung "What do I do?" he said, absolutely helpless as to what to do next. These were the times when Jin fully perceived Rap Mon as a dongsang and not an equal, if not, an elder. His smarts and leader position often make Jin think of Rap Mon as someone to look up to and not the other way around. Now faced with a situation that they could not think their way out of, Jin was now realizing how young he and all his dongsangs actually are.

Not fully aware of his surroundings and feeling absolutely miserable, Jungkook moaned a helpless "Umma." All the members froze. If Jungkook was so unaware that he did not realize that he was at the dorms, something was definetly wrong. Even if he wasn't halucinating, the thought of the young boy missing his mother was enough to pull at the heartstrings of all the other members. Jin perhapse felt worse of all. He was the eldest and therefore had the unspoken responsibility of taking care of all the members, regardless of whether or not he was the leader. As such, he became the group's mother figure and looked over everyone as any parent would. But even though he was the so-called mother, he could never replace the real mother that Jungkook was desperately seeking comfort from, which broke his heart.

As Jin was having his own remenicence, Suga, as second eldest, had tried to control the situation. V and Jimin were terrified at the sight of their normally playful and mischevious partner in crime being in so much pain. Suga had sent over Rap Monster, as leader, to comfort them and get them to calm down while he had J-Hope go call the manager and ask him if he could take them to the hospital.

"Jungkook. Can you hear me?" Suga asked as he waved his hand over the younger's dazed eyes, which were half lidded and on the edge of falling closed. "Jungkook!" Suga snaped his fingers. "Answer me."

"Hyung." the maknae finally answered in a raspy, strained voice. "What happened? Where are we?"

'Right.' The rapper thought to himself 'He wasn't awake when we brought him over to the dorms.' 

"You passed out while you were practicing the choreo, Kookie." Suga said softly while petting his head to calm both Jungkook and himself. "You have a cold or something and we're taking you to the hospital in a minute."

Not fully comprehending his hyung's words, Jungkook muttered a gratted "Okay." from his strained throat and fell back into the clutches of exhaustion, too tired to try and stop himself.

Soon after, Manager-hyung arived to 6 frantic hyungs and 1 unconcious maknae. They loaded him back into the van and drove off towards the hospital.