Chapter 2

King-In-Waiting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The huge ballroom of the Grand Palace has been transformed into a venue fit for the most stylish festivities on the last weekend of Johnny’s stay in Siam. Silk curtains drape over the pillars illuminating the colours of the sun, as massive chandeliers twinkle like ethereal bodies in the depths of the high ceiling. The walls are decorated in rich velvet, the Royal Standard’s crest embroidered delicately in scarlet and gold, complementing the equally lavish dresses and robes of the party attendees.

 

Ten is dressed in a violet robe lined with simple gold patterns, his lightly tanned skin looking golden under the warm light. He has taken extra time picking his earrings before stepping out of his chamber tonight, he loves showing off his multiple piercings after all. He smiles as his fingers effortlessly find the diamonds and gold chains linking the studs in his ears. He didn’t put too much oil in his air, allowing a few strands to cover his eyes.

 

“I thought this party was for me?” a familiar voice comes in from behind.

 

Ten turns around and finds Johnny smirking at him in his white army dress uniform. The son of the United States General has his hair swept up, revealing his handsome forehead and flawless skin, a row of golden buttons and pins shining proudly on his shoulders.

 

“It is your party!” Ten exclaims with a laugh as he puts an arm around Johnny’s neck, pulling him into a tight hug. “Do you like it?”

 

Johnny chuckles, seemingly finding comfort in his friend’s company. “Well, you’re more like the celebrant in those lavish clothes. Why won’t you downplay your fashion style for once? I’m supposed to be the star tonight.”

 

Ten’s laughter comes out in breathless squeals, his eyes disappearing with mirth as he throws his head back. “Stop being so insecure and have fun. The night is yours, do whatever you want.”

 

“Mind if we join in on the fun, Your Royal Highness?” Yuta’s voice is easily recognizable with his accent. The Crown Prince of Japan is dressed in an ebony robe with a mix of gold and silver floral outlines, leading to the exquisite dragon embroidery on his back, the creature's tail forming the belt around his tiny waist. Right beside him, Hansol is wearing a white army dress uniform, similar to Johnny’s but with a different set of buttons and pins that glow in different colours underneath the ceiling lights.

 

“You’re late,” Ten mutters as he greets both friends with a smile. “Where are the others?” The room is literally filled with nobilities from all around Siam, sons of lords and generals as well as the royalties themselves. The ballroom has become so incredibly packed that they had to spill over some of the guests into the gardens.

 

“I don’t even know half of the people in this room,” Johnny says with a shrug as he takes a glass of wine from a passing phrai.

 

“Me neither,” Hansol says, his hands clasped behind his back.

 

“Hyung!” a small voice resonates from the thick crowd of guests as a dark-haired boy with small eyes and seagull-shaped eyebrows makes his way towards their group. “Hyunggg!!!”

 

Mark, first son of Canada’s Prime Minister, is smiling from ear to ear as he throws himself at Johnny, enveloping the latter in a tight hug. “Hyung, don’t leave me! I swear, I’ll be good and I’ll stop being a brat. Just. Don’t leave me. Please.”

 

Johnny laughs, his dark brown hair slowly falling over his forehead. “Your other hyungs will be here to take care of you, Mark. Stop being so dramatic.”

 

Mark raises his head to meet his hyung’s comforting gaze, his eyes a little red. “But you’re my favourite, hyung. You told me you’ll bring me to the United States with you when you return. I haven’t asked permission yet from my father. How could you live me hanging like this?”

 

The other boys join in on the laughter. “Mark,” Ten starts, his smile revealing his perfectly lined teeth. “Donghyuk and Jaemin are in the same school, and you rarely even hang out with us. I’m sure you’ll survive.”

 

Mark sniffs, wiping an arm under his nose. He is wrapped in a thick brown coat that falls right around his knees, his pants tucked in his high leather boots. For an almost 17-year-old noble, he could pass as someone in his twenties if only for his height. “I’ll miss you, hyung,” he chokes.

 

“I’ll miss you too, kiddo,” Johnny says, wrapping the younger noble in a tight hug.

 

“Well, well,” an older voice rises from the crowd, its baritone distinctive and his accent thick. “If it isn’t my favourite group of princes and young nobles.”

 

Ten smiles widely at the sound of the voice like it’s almost second nature. “Uncle Art!” Ten exclaims as he welcomes his godfather with a respectful bow. “Thank you for coming on such short notice.”

 

The older man’s heart-warming smile is palpable behind his thick gray beard as he shakes his head gently. “You don’t have to bow to me, Your Highness,” he says with a hearty chuckle. Arthit, the King’s younger brother and only sibling, is pretty much like a second father to Ten. When the King was out in the seas and voyaging towards wars, Arthit was the one who stayed beside Ten, keeping him in check with his schoolwork, and teaching him the colourful history of their Kingdom.  “Johnny, I’m sad to hear you’re leaving before school finishes.”

 

“Me too, Uncle Art.” Johnny bows.

 

“Ahh, but there’s no use for such a sombre mood. Let’s enjoy the party! Where are all the wines?” As if by signal, a group of phrais approaches them, each handing out a glass of wine to each noble in the group. “To a safe sail back to the United States,” Arthit says, raising his glass.

 

Ten smiles and looks at Johnny, raising his glass before clinking his with Johnny’s for a toast. “To a safe travel,” he says. His godfather downs the wine in one gulp before proceeding to greet other guests at the other side of the hall.

 

Johnny raises his own glass with a smile before downing the wine in a single gulp.

 

“Johnny!” Ten almost drops his glass at the sound of Jaehyun’s voice. “I’m sorry I’m late.” The Crown Prince’s smile was blinding, his eyes a reflection of the dancing lights in the chandeliers.

 

“Jaehyun!” Johnny cries as he pulls the Crown Prince into a warm hug. “Glad you could make it.”

 

Jaehyun smiles, and something inside Ten turns upside-down. “I wouldn’t have missed it for the world,” the Crown Prince responds softly.

 

Johnny takes a swiping glance at Ten before clearing his throat exaggeratedly loud. “It wouldn’t have been possible without Ten here. He’s the best! Right, Ten?” Johnny asks, wiggling his eyebrows at the Thai prince as he pushes him towards Jaehyun.

 

I hate you, Ten mouths before Jaehyun could see him.

 

Jaehyun looks at Ten with the softest smile, that light dimple still resting on his left cheek. Ten feels his entire world spinning. “Thank you for doing this, Ten. You really are… something else.”

 

Something else? Ten could work with that.

 

“Oh, wow!” Johnny suddenly exclaims, taking out his pocket watch. “Would you look at the time! I forgot I was supposed to show something to Hansol and Yuta tonight,” Johnny says with a nervous chuckle before realizing that Mark is still standing there with them. “Oh, and Mark, too, yeah.”

 

“Me?” Mark points at himself, a bit lost in the moment.

 

Johnny laughs awkwardly. “Yes, you kid!” he slings an arm around Mark’s neck before dragging him towards the other end of the ballroom. “Come along now, you two!”

 

Yuta winks at Ten with a playful smile before dragging Hansol along with him to tail Johnny and Mark.

 

Jaehyun watches them with a confused look on his face. “Hmm…” he hums before grabbing a glass of wine from a nearby phrai and taking a sip, small bubbles ascending towards the surface of the dark liquid.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter