The Heirs

Midnight Madness

The sun was shining through the slight gap in the curtains, striking a certain sleeping male directly on the face. He groaned as he rolled over to the other side and blindly reached out for his pillow. He instantly halted when his hand hit something hard and lumpy, recognizing it as something else than his pillow even in his sleepy state. Refusing to leave his dreamland just yet, he curiously began to feel it around with closed eyes. Until something harshly slapped his hand away and he instinctively jerked away at the following loud shriek.

"What—I have a gun." He muttered sleepily, holding out his stuffed toy like a weapon. He cracked one of his eyes open and immediately scoffed at the sight.

"He d me!" Tao dramatically wailed in a loud voice while seeking for comfort from Minseok's much smaller frame. "Why, Luhan, why? How could you do this to me?"

Minseok awkwardly patted his back. "Now, now, Tao, I don't think that is consider as groping."

"I'm no longer pure now!" Tao continued, shaking his head stubbornly.

"Tao—"

"And what if I have an STD?" Tao cut off with an even dramatic whimper. "Or even worse, AIDS! Do you know the unimaginable shame I would have to endure now before they find a bloody cure for it? You've doomed me, Luhan!"

"Tao—" Minseok coughed after choking on his spit at the taller's statement.

Tao cried even harder, "doomed me!"

"It's too early for this." Luhan mumbled incoherently, shaking his head in denial. He covered his face with a pillow and turned to his left side, hoping they would just magically vanished into thin air. He was not a morning person and entertaining their madness at this ungodly hour was certainly at the very bottom of his list currently. A few more hours of sleep was all that he ever needed right now.

But, of course those barbaric spawns of devil would never left him alone in peace. Luhan let out a loud cry of protest as he struggled to resist their attempts of pulling him out of his little cocoon of warmth.

"Luhan, come on, you lazy ." Baekhyun impatiently commanded while slapping the poor boy's hands away from clutching the blanket. He tugged on the blanket as hard as possible before successfully ripping it off, revealing a grumpy and sorely disheveled Luhan.

"What do you want?" Luhan spat in annoyance. He begrudgingly crawled across the queen-sized bed before sitting up on the edge of the bed. He ruffled his hair just as Baekhyun tossed something into his lap. It was a letter, adressed to him with an official-looking stamp on it.

"Read it." Kyungsoo was leaning against the wall with crossed arms, a strange glint flashing dangerously in his eyes. Luhan blinked momentarily before deciding to do as instructed. It was not wise indeed to mess with Kyungsoo when he was in such a foul mood. He instantly furrowed his brows in confusion as he began reading the letter, growing even more confused with every words.

"He looks like a deer caught in the headlights." Tao whispered, finally snapped into reality after a good slap from Baekhyun. "Get it? Luhan, deer?"

Baekhyun narrowed his eyes as Tao chuckled at his own joke. "I'll slap you to North Pole, Tao."

"Oh, oh, do I get to meet Santa Claus?"

"No but I'm sure there's a whole bunch of polar bears to keep you company."

"Can I name it Mr. Fluffy?"

"Just shut up." Baekhyun said frustratedly.

"But, I want to meet Mr. Fluffy!"

"I'll chop you off in pieces and personally feed it to Mr. Fluffy if you don't shut up." Thankfully, that shut him up.

"Real funny, guys." Luhan finally spoke. "This is a good one and I'm sure awake as hell now. Now, whose idea is this? Who came up with this prank?"

Everyone just stared at him and said nothing. There was only silence for a moment as they stood around the room and contemplated on ramming Luhan's head to the wall. Baekhyun rolled his eyes, unable to believe just how stupid Luhan can get at times.

Joonmyeon cleared his throat. "This is not a joke, Luhan."

Luhan looked up and blinked once, twice. Sighing, Joonmyeon fished out an identical white envelope from his pocket and extended it to the confused boy. The rest of them soon mirrored his action and Luhan stared in disbelief at the letters in his hands.

"But, what? How? Why? What?" The words came tumbling out of his mouth incoherently as his stare lingered on the letters.

"Exactly."

Joonmyeon took a quick glance at Kyungsoo in disapproval before focusing on Luhan back. "That's why we are here. We have to decide about this together."

"I vote on going!" Tao shouted out first, raising his hand up in the air.

"I'm with him in this." Baekhyun added, ignoring Kyungsoo's frown.

"How about you?" Joonmyeon prompted, nudging Luhan slightly.

Luhan scratched his head as he stared back and forth between the letters and his friends. Everyone was obviously itching to go due to the intense curiosity, save for Kyungsoo. If he were to be honest with himself, he was just as much curious as they are too. It wasn't a daily occurence for him to receive a sudden notice for a reading of a will.

"I guess there's no harm.. in going." Luhan said slowly. He sent a quick look of hesitation to Kyungsoo, but the latter was not looking at him. He was already turning his back to him, facing the window as if he already knew the answer beforehand.

"Ha! Take that, Kyungsoo!"

"Baek is not the only one who can send you in pieces to Mr. Fluffy, Tao."

"Oops."

~~X~~

"Why did you even have that with you?" Minseok stared weirdly at Tao as he held up the wushu stick in his hold and made some difficult movements with it.

"Show off." Luhan coughed not so quietly.

"Just in case." Tao asnwered as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.

"Baekhyun, get off the gate." Joonmyeon said in a tired voice while massaging his temple. Caught in the act, Baekhyun gave a lopsided grin as he reluctantly climbed off the gate. It was not his fault the temptation to peek was at its highest level. He was focusing on dusting off his clothes when Kyungsoo tugged on his sleeve.

"What now?"

Kyungsoo didn't answer, but kept on tugging at his sleeve instead. Huffing in annoyance, he eventually looked up and initially thought on giving Kyungsoo a piece of his mind, but he quickly found himself unable to do so. Kyungsoo was currently tugging at his sleeve, but his other hand was actually pointing at a direction in a distance. Baekhyun's eyes widened and twitched involuntarily.

"Guys?"

Luhan began screeching like a choked banshee when he noticed while the rest simply had a dumbfounded look.

"This is when my wushu stick comes in handy." Tao muttered quietly under his breath, but loud enough for his friends to hear. He tightened his grasp on the stick as he held it out like a sword. However, Kyungsoo immediately grabbed his arm and firmly held it in place.

"Why are you guys even here?" Jongin was the first one to speak out of all of the newcomers with his brows knitted together. He looked annoyed at the sight and that irritated Kyungsoo to no end.

"That should be our line." Kyungsoo deadpanned.

"No, it's not."

"Hell yes it is and don't argue with me because I won't hesitate to unleash Tao on you." He threatened as he pointed at his hold on Tao's arm.

"What am I? A dog?"

"More or less."

Tao immediately sent a death glare in Kyungsoo's direction, but the latter was too busy basking in his glory as Jongin raised his hands in defeat. Tao had been parading his wushu ability around the school for years after all and Jongin knew better than to mess with that. Unless he had a cockroach with him, in which he unfortunately did not.

"You're not here for the will too, right?" Baekhyun questioned hesitantly, dreading the answer.

"Unfortunately, yes, princess." Chanyeol responded almost instantly with a flirty wink. Baekhyun faked a gag in response, in which just made Chanyeol beamed even more.

"You too?" Luhan shrieked. "That's it. I'm so out of here."

"Not so soon."

Kyungsoo almost tumbled down as Tao suddenly clung to him and attempted to jump into his arms when another voice interrupted them out of nowhere. They turned around in unison to face the owner of the voice before wearing a matching look of confusion. The owner of the voice was a man in his mid 20's, dressed in a formal attire from head to toes. He was standing in front of the opened gates and smiled kindly upon all of them.

"Welcome to all of you." He greeted. "Please, do come in."

That's when the nudging and glaring began. None of them wanted to be the first one to step in despite the warm welcome. There was just something wrong with the whole deal especially with the underlying creepy vibe. Meanwhile, the oldest just watched in amusement with a small smile playing at the corner of his lips.

"You go first." Luhan hissed in annoyance, glaring at the mocking smile on Sehun's face.

"Scared, Barbie?" Sehun taunted.

The remaining of the group rolled their eyes. "Why don't you both go first?" Baekhyun and Jongdae announced before pushing the two forward, sending them staggering towards the waiting male. The culprits instantly did a quick high five with each other, ignoring Luhan's and Sehun's murderous glare.

"I don't bite, you know." The waiting male joked. They forced a smile before trailing after him as he turned around to lead the way. Everyone else hesitantly followed suit though they were unable to stop their eyes from wandering all around restlessly. They were brought to the living room and asked to be seated, in which they obediently did.

"I would like to thank all of you for your presence today because this reading will be impossible without all of the named beneficiaries." The formally dressed man began. "Before we begin, let me introduce myself first. My name is Choi Siwon, the attorney appointed by the testator."

Baekhyun abruptly raised his hand. "I have a question."

"Go ahead."

"Who exactly is this testator?"

"Unfortunately, that is confidential." Siwon flashed an apologetic grin as whining began to emerge from everywhere. "I was specifically instructed to reveal the name only after your 30 days are up."

"30 days?" Kyungsoo voiced out in alarm. "What do you mean by that?"

Siwon just smiled in response before rummaging through the briefcase in front of him. He pulled out a thick file and a few sheet of papers. They automatically quietened down at the sight, watching in anticipation. Siwon cleared his throat after gathering the papers in his hold and gave a quick glance before concentrating on the first paper. He began reciting the content out loud with the boys listening attentively in silence. The silence obviously didn't last for long especially when one particular clause came up.

"Hell no!" Luhan protested right away, shooting up from his seat.

"For the first time ever, I agree with Barbie." Sehun declared while scrunching up his face in disgust. "There's no way in hell we could ever stay in the same house in peace."

"True that."

Chanyeol nodded in agreement. "It will be a true disaster."

"Might as well be a World War III." Minseok added with a feigned thoughtful look.

Strangely, Siwon remained calm. He just shrugged and proceed to gather all of the scattered papers. There was only silence for a while as all of them exchanged looks with each other. Everyone was either deep in thought or plainly lost and distracted.

"What do you think?" Baekhyun asked with voice barely above a whisper after nudging Joonmyeon to attract the latter's attention.

"I don't know."

Baekhyun scowled and slapped the other lightly. "You're not helping."

"My bad, Your Highness." Joonmyeon said sarcastically. "But, look at those two and tell me how this is not going to end up with a bloodbath."

"But, the inheritance!" Tao interjected with sparkling eyes.

"Tao—"

"I could buy the whole Gucci store with it!" Tao gushed, not allowing Joonmyeon to interrupt. "Don't tell me it's not tempting to you, Baek."

"Don't bother, panda boy." Chanyeol interrupted out of nowhere. "Princess is a scaredy-cat."

Baekhyun's eyes twitched critically again. He narrowed his eyes and gritted his teeth, but said nothing. Instead, he turned to face Siwon and took a deep, calming breath.

"I'm ing in." He spat dangerously with Tao eagerly nodding in agreement. Chanyeol smirked and offered his willingness as well before Kris, Jongdae and Yixing followed suit. The rest was left to stare at them with a stunned look.

Jongdae raised a brow. "What? There's nothing to lose."

"Or, they are just too much of a coward for this." Yixing added lazily.

Minseok and Kyungsoo were usually unaffected by this kind of comments but surprisingly, they suddenly announced their willingness as well. His surprised friends stared in confusion at Kyungsoo, but he merely brushed them off and focused his attention on Siwon instead. Triggered by Kyungsoo's decision, the remaining boys hesitantly began to succumb as well. Luhan and Joonmyeon knew they had no choice because their refusal would only complicated everything for their friends while Jongin and Sehun were forced by the constant jab from the other.

"Very well then." Siwon concluded with a satisfied smile. "I'll see you tomorrow."

Oh, he had a very good feeling about this.