Mr. Lunatic In The House

Midnight Madness

Joonmyeon was a lot of thing. He was a brilliant student, who could always be seen assisting the teachers. He was a diligent citizen, who couldn't bear seeing a single rubbish in the street. He was a good son to his parents, always fulfilling his duty without any complaints. He was even a devoted follower to his God, never missing a beat in attending the church weekly.

However, it seemed like all of those efforts were rather useless all along as he stared at the ceiling while pondering in the back of his mind just what exactly had he done so wrong in his life to deserve this kind of punishment.

"What are you doing here?" The other repeated his words yet again, unaware of Joonmyeon's internal monologue.

" me backwards with a telegraph pole." Joonmyeon muttered to himself before looking up to face the other. "What are you doing here, Yixing?"

Yixing promptly raised an amused brow. "I was practising, what else?"

It took a few deliberate seconds for Joonmyeon to comprehend his words as he slowly shifted his gaze all around. Realisation finally dawned upon him when he caught sight of himself in the mirror behind Yixing. It was the dance room, and it was definitely foolish of Joonmyeon not to realise that any sooner since the whole place was like fully decorated with mirrors. Joonmyeon instantly wished for the floor to swallow him whole already by that time. 

Yixing was infamous in their school for his spectacular dance. He, along with Jongin and Sehun, made up the school's best dance team. They had been representating the school in all things dance-related for years, and Joonmyeon had heard this crazy rumor of them being able to skip class for two hours per day whenever they felt like practising for their dance. It seemed like the rumor was nothing, but the truth after all.

"I'm leaving." Joonmyeon announced, deciding right away that he had rather faced his angry friends than his unwilling roommate. He spun on his heel, and quickly attempted to pull the door open while Yixing watched without a word. Except that it won't open. Joonmyeon's brows instantly knitted itself together as he struggled to twist the doorknob all around to open the door by force.

"What's wrong?" Yixing finally asked while inching closer after watching him struggling with the door for a good two minutes.

"Now, you decided to ask." Joonmyeon rolled his eyes. "I can't open this stupid door."

Yixing quietly stepped next to Joonmyeon, and attempted to twist the doorknob as well. Alas, he wasn't having much luck with it either. "What did you do?" Yixing asked in panic when he finally realised the severity of the situation.

"I did nothing!" Joonmyeon defended himself. 

"It can't be nothing if the door is suddenly not working like this." Yixing argued back.

"Well, I really did nothing and that's the truth!" Joonmyeon insisted. "Did you do something instead? I wouldn't know since this is your turf after all."

Yixing snorted loudly. "What for? To trap a worthless rat like you? That would be a waste of my precious time."

"R-Rat?" Joonmyeon's eyes widened tenfold as he stared at the other in disbelief. "You take that back, you brainless turnip!"

"Brainless turnip? Really?" Yixing chuckled in amusement. "That's the best insult you can come up with for me? I thought you're like the best student of the year and s."

"Shut up." Joonmyeon replied, looking red in the face. "I never said I'm good at making up petty insults like that."

Yixing responded with a quick roll of his eyes. "It still doesn't change the fact that you have conveniently locked us up in a room together like this."

"Excuse me, but that will be wasting my precious time too." Joonmyeon said with annoyance before slapping Yixing's hand away, and twisting the doorknob himself again. He strained to put as much as force as possible, but the door still won't budge. It was almost as if there was someone else holding the door back from the other side.

"This is ridiculous." Yixing muttered under his breath as he gave up, and headed back to the farthest corner of the room, where he had placed all of his stuffs.

"Hello? Can someone hear me? Help!" Joonmyeon began pounding the door and shouting on top of his lungs when he still failed miserably to open the door. "Baekhyun? Tao? If you can hear this, open the goddamn door! I'm not playing, you crazy es!" 

Meanwhile, Yixing casually took a sip from his water bottle as he fixed his gaze on Joonmyeon. The other kept on spouting nonsense relentlessly that it was almost amusing to watch. He kept going at it for a considerable amount of time before he finally grew tired, and slowly slid down against the door. Yixing hesitated for a split second before he cautiously approached the other.

"Water?" He asked while offering the water bottle in his hold. Yixing doubted the other will accept it at first, but Joonmyeon surprisingly took the bottle without a word before chugging it down mercilessly. 

"Thanks." Joonmyeon muttered lowly when he returned the now empty bottle back towards Yixing. 

"No problem." Yixing replied back while chucking the empty bottle into the dustbin. Then, there was only silence between the two students. The awkwardness was so thick in the air that you could almost see it. 

"So..." Yixing broke the silence first as he hesitantly took a seat next to Joonmyeon. "Are you completely done with your shouting spree?"

Joonmyeon shot a pointed glare towards him, but he was too tired to argue anyway. "Yes, I'm all done. Would you like to go next?" He responded sarcastically. 

"No thanks, I'll pass." Yixing said without missing a beat, but there was a hint of a smile tugging the corner of his lips.

Joonmyeon shrugged. "Your loss."

Yixing stared at him, looking rather thoughtful all of a sudden. "You know, I never get why exactly are we even fighting with each other."

Joonmyeon's head snapped up faster than you can blink an eye. There was a mix of surprise and confusion plastered all across his sharp features as he digested Yixing's sudden statement. He was obviously caught off-guard by the other's randomness, but it was clear as the day that he had thought of the matter before.

"It was because of Kyungsoo and Jongin." Joonmyeon answered at last, though he didn't sound as much confident as he tried to exude. "You know what happened."

"Yes, but that didn't explain why are we fighting each other." Yixing raised a brow, daring the former to argue with him. "Why all of us are fighting each other, in fact. Whatever happened between Jongin and Kyungsoo, it honestly has nothing to do with us if you think about it. We have no real issue with each other, so what's with the endless fights?"

"Sehun and Luhan do have an issue with each other though." Joonmyeon countered back. 

"Which is made a whole lot worst than it actually is just because we're already fighting with each other." Yixing stated as a matter of fact. "So, what exactly is the reason of us fighting for real? Why are we even divided into Jongin's side and Kyungsoo's side?"

"Because we are their friends, and that's just what friends do for you?" Joonmyeon suggested hesitantly. You could almost heard the gears turning in his head as he unwillingly considered the matter.

"There's a limit to that , and you know that." Yixing said dryly. "Our fight has led to so many s to happen over the past few years. Not to mention, it is also bringing some noticeable trouble for a few of us."

Joonmyeon furrowed his brows. "What kind of trouble?"

"In case you haven't noticed, Jongdae had been crushing on Minseok since like forever, and there is such an obvious between Sehun and Luhan that it almost hurt to watch." Yixing explained. Then, he paused for a moment before adding, "And, I don't want to fight you either. It feels wrong to be honest."

Joonmyeon blinked once, twice. He was genuinely speechless at the moment if he were to be honest. It wasn't everyday you get the chance to talk about this kind of matter with the very same person that had been fighting with you at every given moment for the past few years.

"Wait," Joonmyeon suddenly realised one thing. "Did you just indirectly trying to imply that Sehun and Luhan have the hots for each other?"

"Oh, come on. You would've to be blind to not see that." Yixing's eyes nearly rolled all the way back into his head. "Sehun is particularly bad at expressing himself in words and noticing someone else than himself. It's all about his glorious self when it comes to that little dip. So, for him to personally notice Luhan and even go so far as to antagonize him at every given chance is a miracle really."

"Weird flex, but okay." Joonmyeon said with a clearly judging look.

"I could say the same about Luhan, but you clearly know him better." Yixing smiled smugly. "Think about it. Don't you find it weird that the two keep on going after each other's sorry despite not having real issue with each other?"

Joonmyeon didn't reply right away. He bit his lower lip as he raked his mind in search of a plausible explanation to counter the other's attack. Much to his surprise, he found nothing. 

"So, what exactly is your point?" Joonmyeon asked, purposely trying to avoid from having to answer the other's question. 

"My point is we should totally get them together!" Thankfully, Yixing bought it without a second thought. However, his suggestion nearly made Joonmyeon died of a heart attack right then and there. 

"W-What?"

Joonmyeon looked plainly scandalized currently. His eyes were almost at the same size with a saucepan, and there was horror plastered all across his face.

"It's a brilliant idea, don't you think so?" Joonmyeon gave an almost impercebtible shake of his head, but the other was too busy being proud of his so-called brilliant idea to notice. "We should totally do this because that's the only way to end all of these useless feuds. Let's play cupid, and help all of these bumbling idiots. It should be much easier since we're living together right now."

"W-We?" Joonmyeon's left eye twitched critically. 

"Yes, we will make such a great team!"

"Oh God, I think the only bumbling idiot here is you." Joonmyeon mumbled lowly under his breath. 

"What was that?"

"Oh, nothing."

Yixing blinked, but didn't argue further. "Now that I think of it though, I'm almost 100% sure that the God is already sending help on our way."

"What help?" It was Joonmyeon's turn to look confused as he stared blankly at Yixing.

"I meant, the anonymous testator!" said Yixing eagerly. "Haven't you noticed yet? When we first moved into the house, Siwon had assigned us into our respective room by pairs. All of the pairs just so happened to be the very same one that had the most potentials to end up together. So, in a way, he or she is already a step ahead of us!"

"I have exactly two things to say about that." Joonmyeon interrupted while holding up two fingers. "One, you do realise we're one of those pairs, right? And two, it was Siwon who had assigned us the rooms so logically speaking, shouldn't he be the so-called help instead?"

Yixing instantly waved him off dismissively. "There's always an exception for everything, and we are obviously that exception. Since they already paired everybody else up, we are the only one left so they had no choice but to pair us up as well due to the lack of room in the house."

"And, Siwon?" Joonmyeon raised a brow skeptically. At this point, he wasn't even sure why he was still listening to the other's rambling. It was the first time they ever had such a long conversation with each other though, so that's probably why. Yixing was right in a way. They never had any real issue with each other so while their friends would literally tried to tear each other's face off whenever they met, Joonmyeon and Yixing in contrary, will usually just throw a few casual insults towards each other at most before totally ignoring the other person.

"Siwon is an attorney." Yixing simply said as if that explained everything. "I meant, he was obviously acting on someone's order. And, that someone had to be the testator." Yixing elaborated further when he noticed the look of confusion on Joonmyeon's face.

"How would you know that?"

"Because why else would he had a written note detailing on who was supposed to room with who? He doesn't even know us before that day!" Yixing stared at Joonmyeon expectantly, urging him to see the logic behind his words. Unfortunately, Joonmyeon remained plainly unconvinced. 

"You're a lunatic."

"What? Why?"

"L-u-n-a-t-i-c."

"Excuse me, but I do know how to spell that ."

"Good." Joonmyeon deadpanned. "Because you're totally one."

"Now, I know why we are fighting."

"It took you that long? Wow, you must be extraordinarily stupid."

"You take that back, you worthless lettuce!"

"You insulted my brainless turnip earlier, but look who's talking now."

"Y-You.."

"Oh wow, he ing stuttered too." Joonmyeon clapped very slowly. "My fabulous presence must had bothered your teeny weeny little mind so much."

"... ."