Quest for The Lost Truth : Part II

Midnight Madness

"Well, isn't this awkward?" Sehun broke the silence with an equally awkward cough. He sat up and slowly scooted away from Jongin.

Meanwhile, Kyungsoo was staring at Jongin with a look of mixed emotions. He was torn between murdering the latter with every single torturous way he could possibly find or just settling for a smack in the other's handsome face.. with a chair.

Jongin blinked while looking at Kyungsoo expectantly. "Well? Say something."

"Like what?" Kyungsoo finally spoke, disgust clearly written all over his face. "You just basically proposed for me to stick a finger up your !"

Sehun wrinkled his nose almost instinctively, wondering in the back of his mind just why exactly is he not out of here yet. He did not need the mental image of that very implication. 

"I didn't ask you to stick a finger up my !" Jongin retorted, looking offended. "Just a quick dab on the, you know.. affected area."

"It's literally the same thing." Kyungsoo said flatly.

"It's not!"

Kyungsoo glared at Jongin without a single trace of amusement decorating his face. He was clearly not impressed by Jongin's inability to take a hint that he was simply not interested in allowing his fingers to come anywhere near the latter's even with a ten-foot pole. 

Sehun cleared his throat. "Perhaps if you ask more nicely?" He suggested towards Jongin.

"It is still a big no." Kyungsoo answered before Jongin even managed to open his mouth to voice out his question.

"Why not?" Jongin whined. His face currently resembled a kid on the verge of throwing a tantrum to get his way. "You seem quite eager to inquire about it when you walked through that door just now!"

"That's because I thought you were talking about something else entirely!"

Sehun quirked a brow, his interest visibly piqued. "And what exactly would that something else be?"

Kyungsoo became quiet at once. He was quickly weighing his option, not exactly looking forward to having this coversation in front of Sehun out of all people. He knew just how judgemental and defensive the other can be especially where Jongin was involved.

"None of your concern." Kyungsoo decided at last. He knew whatever conversation happening between him and Jongin will eventually reach Sehun's ears anyway because Jongin confided pretty much everything to him. But, he had rather not let Sehun had the live chance of interrupting his confrontation against his bestfriend.

Sehun's brows peaked even higher if that was even possible. However, Jongin being the thickhead he was, simply was unable to detect the reluctance in Kyungsoo's words. 

"You can just say whatever it is now. I'll tell Sehun anyway later." Jongin shrugged. 

"I'm aware."

"Then, what are you waiting for?"

Kyungsoo sighed while lowering his gaze, feeling a headache coming on. "Alright, fine then. I met with Chanyoung just now."

Jongin remained clueless as ever from the way he stared blankly at Kyungsoo in response, not even a slight hint of recognizing the name. Sehun on the other hand, was looking slightly pale, which was barely noticeable since his skin was already so pale in the first place. He not so discreetly began elbowing Jongin.

"What?" Jongin asked, his dumb really shining through at moments like this. "Who's this Chanyoung guy?"

"Ryu Chanyoung." Sehun coughed, again not so discreetly. Kyungsoo almost felt like rolling his eyes at the conspicuous method that the other was using to warn his friend. It was just like watching a dumb and dumber skit. 

"Ryu Chan—" Jongin halted as the name finally rang a bell in the back of his mind. It was almost hilarious watching the look of horror slowly dawning upon him. "Where? Where did you meet him? What did he say to you? Did he even say anything to you? You didn't talk to him, do you? Tell me you don't. Even if you do, tell me it's only short and very, very brief."

He almost fell off the bed as he clumsily tried to get out of it in his hurry to shoot the non-stop questions towards Kyungsoo. Thankfully, Sehun managed to catch his leg just in the nick of time and so, Jongin was pretty much dangling at a very weird position right now. Not that he cared though because he was much more concerned of Kyungsoo's answer at the moment, waiting with his big, puppy eyes.

"Pull him first, Sehun." Kyungsoo instructed, disturbed by the way Jongin was inches away from kissing the floor with his face.

Sehun complied without further ado, pulling Jongin's legs and dragging his body back onto the plush mattress so he was not dangling like a carrot at the edge of the bed. 

Kyungsoo put a hand on his waist and tapped his foot lightly. "Why? What does it matters to you?"

"You're not supposed to talk to him!" Jongin's words were muffled since he was face down on the mattress as Sehun pulled him. He raised it slightly when Sehun stopped, struggling to keep the position for long due to the strain in his nape. "Don't talk to him!"

Jongin rolled over and sat up, but not before kicking Sehun a little bit in the shin. The poor lad glared in response, mouthing the word that rhymes with Seoul. Jongin proceeded to throw a glare of his own. Both of them seemed perfectly able to understand each other without speaking out loud, communicating only through their eyes almost as if they were currently having a mental conversation.

"Why not?" Kyungsoo interrupted, alternating his gaze between the two of them.

"He's an alien." Sehun deadpanned. Unsurprisingly, Jongin was eager to agree as he bobbed his head up and down with a satisfied grin. His dumb really be thinking it was a much better explanation than whatever truth that he was holding back.

Still nodding, Jongin looked up and met Kyungsoo's doubtful eyes. "It's true. He has this big, colourful tentacles and four arms with ten fingers each! All of his words are gibberish and not to be trusted. I heard he can even turn into a bat at night."

"First of all," Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes. "I have two perfectly functional eyes and as far as I can tell when I met him earlier, there's nothing out of ordinary with the guy. Two legs, two arms, ten fingers, just like the rest of us. And secondly, I'm pretty sure only Dracula can turn into a bat and he doesn't exist."

"Mavis can too! And Dennis too I think."

"Mavis and Dennis? Like the characters in Hotel Transylvania?"

"Yes?"

Kyungsoo facepalmed himself. "You do realise that's a cartoon movie and they don't exist either, right?" 

"Oh."

"Where exactly did you meet him?" Sehun asked in all seriousness. His tone had suddenly changed and all trace of sarcasm had vanished into thin air. 

"The cafe he's working at. Words are going around about him in the class earlier so I pay him a little visit."

"Why would you do that?"

"Again, what does it matters to you?"

"It matters.. a lot." Sehun glanced at Jongin, who had grown silent. The brunet had casted his gaze downward now while fiddling with his fingers almost restlessly. Sehun pursed his lips, seemingly deep in thought as his gaze lingered on his best friend. Then, he abruptly hopped out of the bed with a determined look. "Alright then."

"Where are you going?" Jongin asked, panic-stricken.

Sehun not so subtly motioned towards Kyungsoo with his head. "It's time. You know what to do."

"No, you wouldn't dare." Jongin shook his head, eyes wide in realisation. "No, goddamnit no—Oh Sehun!"

Whatever Sehun meant behind his words, Jongin wasn't given much of a choice unfortunately.  The former dashed out of the room at the first opportunity before Jongin even managed to finish his sentence, conveniently leaving only Jongin and Kyungsoo in the room. Jongin shifted uneasily, not knowing what to do.

"So?" Kyungsoo spoke first, looking at Jongin expectantly. "You're going to explain what is that all about?"

"Would you accept if I say no?"

"No."

Jongin groaned, leaning his back against the headboard while ruffling his hair. "Can we not do this? Whatever you heard from that stupid Chanyoung, can you just pretend like you never hear anything at all and we can just go back to being the frenemy that we are just the way you like it?"

"Just the way I like it?" Kyungsoo's brows quickly became drawn together. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Jongin bit his lower lip, hit with a late awareness of his terrible blunder. He opened his mouth to make some excuses, but was immediately stopped by Kyungsoo's raised hand. 

"If that's some bull that's about to come out of your mouth in your attempt to avoid the topic, you better stop. Think carefully before you say your next words because I'm just seconds away from smacking you in the face with this pillow." He proved his words by grabbing the nearest pillow, raising it to chest height and ready to attack at a moment's notice. 

Jongin paused, rethinking his next choice of words as suggested. He bit on his lower lip while stealing a glance at Kyungsoo once or twice, unsure on how to proceed from there. Truth to be told, he had no plan of disclosing anything towards Kyungsoo. It was better this way for the other's sake. He was willing to risk practically everything if it meant Kyungsoo never finding out.

"The clock is ticking." Kyungsoo said, looking impatient.

"It's nothing." Jongin decided at last before bracing himself for the impact that's surely going to befall upon him once Kyungsoo's pillow come swinging into his face. He shut his eyes tightly while keeping his hands straight by his side as he didn't want to accidentally swing his own hands at Kyungsoo out of reflex. 

One.. Two.. Three..

He counted in his mind, waiting with bated breath. So, when nothing happened, he knew right away that something was not right. He carefully opened his eyes one by one in a very slow motion, only to find Tao standing in front of him instead of Kyungsoo. The former was openly staring at him with a judging look all over his sharp features and one hand on his hip. 

"I'm not going to kiss you if that's what you were expecting." Tao said first, looking disgusted at the mere thought of said action. "I'm not Kyungsoo."

"Where is he?"

Tao shrugged. "No idea. He looked kind of pissed when he stormed out of here earlier so I don't bother asking."

Jongin stood to his feet in an instant. "What the hell! Couldn't you have told me that much earlier?"

"I just got here!" Tao responded defensively.

"Urghh!" was all Jongin said when he found nothing to counter the other's words. He hurriedly made his way out of the room instead, desperate to find Kyungsoo. He was in luck as Kyungsoo was just making his way to their shared room when he caught up to him. He quickly grabbed ahold of Kyungsoo's hand, causing the other to spin around to face him as a result. Kyungsoo didn't look too happy when he was face to face with Jongin, clearly pissed off as Tao described. 

"Where are you going?"

"To our damn room obviously." Kyungsoo spat with venom lacing his tone. "I clearly won't be getting the answer that I want from you. Ever."

"No, that's not true." Jongin said desperately. "You don't understand.. I–I don't think it's a good idea for you to know."

Kyungsoo's eyes narrowed into mere slits. "I would be the judge to that, Kim Jongin. You have absolutely no right to dictate what I can and cannot know."

"You know that's not what I meant."

"That's what exactly it sounds like to me."

"God, stop making this harder than it already is, Soo."

"I'm making this harder for you?" There was an edge to Kyungsoo's voice now. His eyebrows were slammed together as he stared even harder at Jongin with a hint of irritation behind it. "You are making this harder than what it is, Kim Jongin. Just tell me and be done with it!"

"I can't." 

"The hell you can't." Kyungsoo snapped. "Chanyoung personally told me that he had nothing against it so I know it's not because of him so if you are so concerned that your lover is gonna—"

"He's not my lover." Jongin interrupted, unable to help himself. He was not going to let Kyungsoo kept on filling his mind with that horrifying misunderstanding.

"That's all you care about, of all things?" Kyungsoo asked through his gritted teeth. He blew out a breath that he didn't know he was holding, his anger nearly reaching to its maximum potential. "I'm so done with you, Kim Jongin."

"No, stop. Please don't be done with me." Jongin begged, probably already considering of going on his knees in the back of his mind. "In fact, be undone as much as you want with me like please, please, please with cherry on top? Wait, no that sounds really wrong but you know what I mean!"

"No, I don't!" Kyungsoo snapped back. "In case you haven't figure it out, I am not a freaking mind reader! I am not a freaking superhero with that kind of super power. I am not Edward Cullen or Goku. I do not know what are you talking about because I simply cannot read your mind, Kai!"

Jongin blinked. "You called me.. Kai."

"Well, that's your name, is it not?" Kyungsoo replied sharply, far too angry at the moment to realise what he just did.

"You haven't been calling me that in years." Jongin muttered lowly after a few seconds of silence.

Oh , was the first thing that immediately popped up in Kyungsoo's mind when his brain finished processing the other's word. He made a mental note to berate his own brain later for not watching the words that's coming out of his mouth, but first, he had to figure out real quick how to handle this like a pro. 

"Well.." Unfortunately, he never got the chance to finish his words since Jongin also decided to speak up at the very same time.

"I'll do it." It was barely above a whisper that Kyungsoo had to strain his ears to catch the words uttered by the taller one. Not that he immediately understood it once he caught the words though. 

Kyungsoo waved his hands around, an attempt of signalling his confusion. "Do what?"

"Tell you everything."

"Huh." Kyungsoo suddenly had the biggest urge of laughing out loud to express the feeling of disbelief churning inside of him. "That's all it actually take to make you give up? Calling you by your old nickname? Unbelievable. I would've done it a long time ago if I know."

Jongin only shrugged in response while Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. The former quickly muttered something about needing privacy, thus wanting to do all of the explanation in the security of their bedroom instead. He began walking before he even finished talking, expecting Kyungsoo to follow.

"Still don't understand why do you like that name so much." Kyungsoo commented as Jongin led the way into their shared bedroom.

Jongin paused momentarily in front of the door of their bedroom to throw a look over his shoulder towards Kyungsoo. "It's given by.. you."

"Yeah because of that dumb cartoon you like to watch so much when we were like ten. I didn't expect for you to like it so much that you even start telling the kids at school to call you that as well."

"It's a really cool name." Jongin answered nonchalantly while proceeding to enter their bedroom and taking a seat on the bed. Sitting cross-legged on the bed, Jongin kept his eyes trained on Kyungsoo as the other also made his way into the bedroom. However, Kyungsoo chose to rather sit on the couch situated near the wall instead of joining him on the bed. 

"So?" Kyungsoo said expectantly.

Jongin let out the loudest sigh he can manage while looking down. It took him a few seconds to gather the strength with Kyungsoo watching him like a hawk. 

"Are you going to start any sooner or—"

"I like you." Jongin interrupted, stating it rather plainly at last. "I don't know how did you not see it after all of this year but I freaking like you, Do Kyungsoo. I don't even remember anymore since when, that's just how long it had been. And I can't believe you really think that I'm going to leave you just for that good-for-nothing Chanyoung? We had been friends since like forever! You really think I would let him do anything to you, let alone hurting you? He would have to walk over my dead body first before I would let any of that happen to you."

"W-What?" To say that Kyungsoo was surprised would be an understatement of the year. The guy looked thoroughly shocked that he might be close to having a heart attack real soon.

"You want to know what happened? Ryu Chanyoung happened, that's what happened. And if I remember correctly, you were the one who insisted for me to befriend him in the first place when he tried to get close to me because you said I need to broaden my circle and find new friends instead of just sticking with you all the time. So, I did. I did befriend him because of you, which is like the biggest mistake that I've ever done. Because of that dumb move that I made, I nearly lost you forever and I still regret that very decision every single day."

Jongin's expression at the moment was a perfect mix of anger and distress. He carved a pained smile as Kyungsoo's eyes bore through his own, the latter being too stunned to speak.

"Imagine what it's like for me when I found out what happened to you on that day. I was kept completely in the dark about everything. It was hours later before somebody even told me anything and by the time I got to the hospital, you were thankfully out of immediate danger by then and wide awake. But, the look on your face when you saw me then.." Jongin shook his head slowly while squeezing his eyes shut. "Your eyes. It was so full of hatred and resentment towards me. I do not even understand it until days later when Chanyoung finally came to me to admit what he had done. I had long suspected it of course, but I can't do much about it until he confessed since there's no witnesses or evidences to confirm my suspicion. I made damn sure he is never going to come anywhere near you anymore after that by reporting him to the principal and getting him expelled from school."

Jongin opened his eyes back, but avoided from looking at Kyungsoo. He started tracing random patterns on the bed instead with his finger. "Did you know? Even after he was expelled, I was so mad at myself for even letting that happened to you in the first place that I went ahead and punched one of the mirrors in the dance room. I punched it so hard, it broke into tiny million pieces. Had to get quite a lot of stitches afterward on my hands and listened to my dad's nagging for days because he had to pay for the replacement of the mirror but it's nothing compared to what I'm feeling at the time. I felt like my heart was shattering into tiny million pieces too, just like the broken mirror especially when I kept on getting reminded of the look that you gave me at the hospital. I felt like it was all my fault. For not stopping them from the start, for not being there with you, for even letting it happened in the first place."

"Kai.."

But, Jongin won't let Kyungsoo interrupt him. He put a hand up to stop the other from interrupting him before resuming his words.

"You absolutely refused to see me afterwards and avoided me at all cost, which honestly made me felt even worse. It forced me to take a step back and reflect on everything. I began to wonder if you are better off without me. If it's best for me to stay away so I can keep you safe because I will only bring more bad luck and misery into your life. So, when the opportunity presented itself, I jumped at the chance. I accepted all of the blame when you finally confronted me. I know you will absolutely hate me after that and it hurts me more than you can imagine to go along with it but I decided that it's better to be the villain in your story than the cause of your pain."

There was a silence for the longest time after that. Kyungsoo kept his head down as he stared at his hands, not allowing Jongin to see the current look on his face.

"I.. I don't know what to say." Kyungsoo eventually said in a very low voice. When he raised his head and threw his gaze at the door longingly, Jongin was quick to notice the trace of tears in his eyes. 

"Take your time." Jongin quickly assured before hopping off the bed and walking to the door. Since the other was so clearly on the verge of tears, he felt it was much more appropriate for him to be left alone in the room. "I can wait."

"Hey, Kai?" 

Jongin looked over his shoulder with a questioning look. "Yeah?"

"Thank you.. for telling the truth."

Jongin's face visibly relaxed while his lips turned upwards into a little smile.  "No problem."

And then, he left without further ado, leaving Kyungsoo all alone with his thoughts in the bedroom.