- 1 -

Cast My Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene yawns for the nth time that morning, she isn’t supposed to because it’s her first day being assigned into a certain hospital, but it’s also not her fault that she’s nervous.

 

Who wouldn’t be? It’s her freshman year, as a doctor. Well, technically, it’s not fully out of nervous, she’s just scared. Scared that she might make any mistakes and becomes the main cause of someone’s death. It could happen though.

 

Nope, it’s not all downhills for the young doctor, she’s also relieved. Relieved that she no longer needs to stick her eyeballs on all those books about medic and all those necessary things she needs or have to obtain in order to treat her patient correctly for 5 God be damned years. All her hard works paid off, literally, her ambition is no longer a fictional fact in her book.

 

It’s hardly even in the afternoon for Irene as she tries to calm herself by twirling on her chair while cupping her own cheeks, a habit she always does to lay off her raging nervous system, like she once did once during her presentation back in her apprentice year.

 

Her train of thought is abruptly stopped when she hears a whine, a little loud for her liking and surroundings, from the other side of the wall.

 

“but I don’t want toooooooo” Irene would like to think it was a kid from the way she or he said it, it was a tad bit high-pitched that she can’t determine the gender.

 

“but you’re injured! You must be treated!” Irene’s assistant, Joy, whom she’s really familiar with (because they both got the same scholarship but under different takes) insist to this somehow stubborn patient.

 

“I DON’T LIKE BEING TREATED! I’M NOT IN THAT PAIN! I HATE HOSPITALS AND CLINICS!” Irene was very sure her assigned first patient ever was a down to earth stubborn goody two shoes. Just her luck.

 

A few moments of incoherent denials and demands later, Joy pops her head out from the door, she seems to be struggling as how she’s trying to calm a beast held unseen from Irene’s sight

 

“Kang Seulgi here, for your treatment!” as soon as the last word came out of , Joy pulls back and pushes a figure into the room, shockingly not a kid, but instead a tall, hazel long-haired girl in what seems to be a football jersey came to her view. “Good luck! You’ll need it” Joy shuts the door before this ‘Seulgi’ girl could escape.

 

The young doctor could have sworn it looked like a very tragic drama on how her patient is wailing over the door, kneeling. She doesn’t speak a word, somehow scared that the latter might throw more tantrums, and so she waits.

 

When Seulgi finally gives in, she stands up before turning to her with her head hang low, no eye contact or words yet.

 

Seulgi seems to be familiar with the room as she walks to the patient’s chair next to Irene’s desk, never mind the fact that she wasn’t actually paying attention on where she was walking.

 

“Please make it quick, Miss Yura, I don’t like this place and no offense, you.” The patient mumbles perplex.

 

“Miss Yu- Excuse me?” Irene shouldn’t be offended because the name wasn’t hers but that was rude to say to anyone especially to a doctor. She assumed that this Miss Yura used to treat her.

 

It didn’t take a couple of blinks for Seulgi to look up to her with a confused face, making their first eye contact ever. That’s when Irene realize that she injured her nose. There was a poorly cleaned cut across the bridge of her nose.

 

Seulgi unexpectedly gasp making Irene flinch, then started a staring game while the latter tilts her head.

 

“h-hi” the patient stammers, bringing her seat closer to Irene’s. “you’re not Yura” she states the obvious.

 

“o-of course I’m not, I’m new here and maybe she has been moved somewhere else” Irene pulls back a bit when Seulgi came to close to her.

 

Irene once again turns into an awkward turtle when Seulgi kept staring her, she wonders if this patient really is in a condition to be here now. That’s when until blood came out of Seulgi’s nostrils.

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

The staring game didn’t end there. When Irene was caring Seulgi’s scratch, the said girl locks her eyes into her. Every once in a while Seulgi would smile. This kid is weird, a few minutes ago she was screaming her hates for hospitals out, now she’s all rainbows and unicorns.

 

“t-this one is really bad,” Irene breaks the ice, not wanting her first treatment to be a negatively memorable one. “how did you even get this?”

 

“ah this little thing? This is nothing, hohoho” Seulgi smiles proudly but Irene knows better. There was once advice back in the days she got that if your patient starts boasting themselves, the chance is high that he or she is embarrassed to tell.

 

“that’s a lie”

 

“you’re so pretty”

 

Irene was taken aback, well that she’s complaining but it was sudden, goody two shoes must be teasing.

 

“you know you can just say that you don’t want to tell me, it’s fine.” The young doctor is beginning to get annoyed. From the way Seulgi was grinning from ear to ear, eyes disappearing, she resembles a bear. A thing or two she had learned just by looking.

 

But Seulgi seems to misinterpret her words that her grins turned into a frown, shaking her head rather vigorously, “oh no! It’s not like that!” Irene wanted to stop her from shaking because she just finished treating her nose.

 

“actually, I’m in a soccer club…” Seulgi brings both of her pointy fingers together, looking down “and I got hit by a soccer ball…” she pouts and Irene honestly thinks she’s cute for being clumsy. “I didn’t expect it…. to… happen…”

 

Irene couldn’t help but to chuckle, “that’s cute” she nonchalantly said it out loud but regrets it afterward because the next thing she realizes is that Seulgi is (again) staring at her but this time, with an amused smile.

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

“take care!” Irene says, waving at very young patient, a kid, rather enthusiastically because he is yet another success result to her occupation. It is a couple of days later since she started working yet there’s no mistakes yet, thankfully.

 

For the fifth time that day, Joy pops her head like she’s assigned to, to inform her next patient’s name to Irene but when she does it time, her eyes were squinted, lips pursing as her assistant is literally trying to dig something.

 

“what?” Irene throws a question because Joy literally looks like a judging weasel right now.

 

“Patient Kang Seulgi” Joy keeps her face like said and pulls back slowly, Irene swears she looks like a some sort of dog meme. Oh but Kang Seulgi?

 

“HELLO MY GORGEOUS DOCTOR BAE THIS POOR BEAR NEEDS YOUR TREATMENT OHO” Seulgi twirls into the room with a flower in her hand. She had only been there one time, excluding today, but she looks like she had been there for decades.

 

“Oh it’s you again” Irene says amused. “hi” the latter takes her seat before showing the flower to Irene.

 

“what?”

 

“this is for you!”

 

“for what?”

 

“for treating me oh so nicely before!” Irene thinks it would be rude to decline a gift if appreciation so she took it and smiles awkwardly.

 

“is this what you’re here today?”

 

“yes and no, I’m actually injured,” she points at her lips and there’s a cut on the edge, “see?” Seulgi exclaims happily, poor child.

 

“woah! How-“ Irene gasp, holding Seulgi’s chin gently not to make it worse.

 

“I got hit by a ball” the doctor somehow doesn’t think it was cute anymore but she’s really clumsy. “again?” Seulgi nods shamelessly.

 

“But I don’t mind if you’re treating me because you’re really pretty.”

 

The rest of the treatment went the same as the last one, Seulgi stares at Irene while she’s doing her job unaware of how hard Irene is blushing because of her last comment. How can’t she? Seulgi is really bold. Being an attractive one is definitely a bonus.

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter