Let Love In

Songs to Learn and Sing

On summer nights Wonshik would often come with Jaehwan on his late night walks around the area they lived in. It’s a crowded area, but close to it a big park with a manmade lake and few people ever entered there after midnight. Jaehwan always somehow ended up there in the end of his walks, but when Wonshik came with him Wonshik would drag him straight there.

It was an especially warm night this one, and not even the city lights able to make the stars disappear on the sky as they illuminated the many clouds wandering the skies in the slight, warm breeze. Their t-shirts clung to their backs, their palms sweaty as they held hands while they walked and the breeze feeling refreshing on their sweaty necks.

They lay down on a wooden table, the big ones where retired men gather every day and chat and play games as they talk about their youths as they criticize the current. But after midnight these tables were empty and Wonshik lead Jaehwan right to one and coaxed him to lie down with him and watch the sky in silence, side by side, hand in hand, soft music playing from Wonshik’s phone resting on his stomach.

"Have you ever noticed that if you look up at the sky like this, you can actually see the curve of the earth and how the clouds are moving?" Wonshik asked after a long, comfortable silence between them. "It's almost like I can feel the earth rotating when I see them move like that."

Jaehwan only hummed in answer, observing what Wonshik pointed out with new eyes. He could indeed see a slight curve. It made the world look so much smaller to him. He clenched Wonshik’s hand to show he understood. The music changed to a soothing acoustic melody by some western singer Jaehwan did not know, but he could recall hearing Wonshik play the song in their livingroom that morning as well. It’s nice, warming, and made him think of all the things he loved about the other; his gentleness, his protectiveness, his eternal love for him.

"This is it." Wonshik said then.

"What?" Jaehwan murmured.

"This is our song. Every time we hear it we will remember this moment."

"That's so cheesy." Jaehwan chuckles, but his stomach stirred with emotion.

"I know you like it, no matter what you say." Wonshik insisted

"What's so special about this moment?" Jaehwan asked and turned his head to look at Wonshik, but his eyes were trained on the stars.

"It's beautiful." He said quietly after a pause, voice uncharacteristically soft.  

"The sky?"

"Yes, but no; I mean the feeling. This moment is so simple, but I don't think I've ever felt more... comfortable. Light. Free." Wonshik answered, never looking away from the stars, but Jaehwan could see the joy in his eyes. He looked absolutely beautiful; so full of hope and joy – and he never failed to share it all with him. He was so damn lucky to have him.

Jaehwan stared at him for a long moment, eyes trembling with feeling. He was touched. Wonshik silently turned to look at him with shiny eyes and they stared at each other for a long while, the song eventually changing to a different one.

"I love you." Wonshik whispered.

"I know." Jaehwan moved closer, his hand reaching out to caress the other's face. "I love you too." He said tenderly, leaning in for a sweet kiss.