Even the Bad

Songs to Learn and Sing

Wonshik was almost gone and asleep when he heard the soft click of their bedroom door opening and closing slowly and carefully. A little gone from reality, he blinked into the darkness and tried to remember if he had slept or not. What time was it?

Really late.

The bed dipped behind him as Jaehwan crawled under the covers and curled up against his back. Cold and shaky fingers made their way around his side and a shiver traveled across his body at the sensation. He can sense the mood from the other right away, the way his fingers weakly grabbed at his t-shirt – wanting to hold him desperately but not to wake him up.

But he was already awake.

“What’s wrong?” He murmured into the dark, resisting the urge to turn around and look at his face. He knew he didn’t want to be seen, so he would stay still and wait for him to turn him himself.

“Nothing.” Jaehwan lied, and Wonshik sighed.

“Did you have a nice walk?” He asked. Jaehwan often had trouble sleeping. Wonshik would often wake up to find the bed empty in the middle of night, Jaehwan out walking – hunting for sleep.

But sometimes it was not sleep he caught and brought home to their bed.

Jaehwan did not answer, but he came closer to him now that he didn’t have to worry about waking him. His entire body was cold, but Wonshik didn’t mind and let him embrace him – arms holding around his middle with an iron grip as if he would slip away if he didn’t hold on with all his strength.

He wanted to ask what’s wrong again, but he had learned the hard way that he had to wait.

So he waited while the other’s hand resting on his stomach and willed his body heat to transfer over and warm him.

“I’m worried.” A weak voice said into his back, barely audible. Once again he had to keep himself from turning around, instead letting his hand grip the other’s hand in comfort.

“About what?”

“Everything.”

He felt the other curl himself up even more, forehead pressing into Wonshik’s back and the warm breath from a heavy sigh warming his shirt. He frowned, wishing that sometimes Jaehwan’s mind would leave him alone.

“Are we going to be okay?” He said after a long silence, with a voice so careful it’s a wonder it doesn’t break mid-sentence.

Wonshik’s resolve broke apart at how Jaehwan’s voice sounded, turning around to face the other – who in turn tried to hide his face into the pillow – and Wonshik’s hand finds his chin and he’s forced to look at him with his wet eyes.

He was relieved to see Jaehwan had not shed any tears. Not yet at least, he was so close.

Looking him deep in the eyes with resolve he only found when around the other; he assured him.

“We’re okay.” He paused for effect, and the look in Jaehwan’s eyes almost broke his heart. “We will always be okay, so try to trust me and don’t worry.” He leaned in to rest his forehead on Jaehwan’s and Jaehwan closed his eyes. A tear fell as his eyes closed.

“Okay?” He whispered in the end, willing it to reach and grab hold. A careful nod from the other and Wonshik pulled him into a tight hug, cradling his head to his chest protectively.

If only he had the power to protect him from the mind.

“Sorry I woke you up.” Jaehwan murmured into his chest and Wonshik’s hand could no longer resist the need to his head. Careful over his soft hair felt just as comforting for him as the older. Jaehwan relaxed into him with a hum.

“I was already awake.” He said, but he knew he still felt bad. “Besides, I love it when you tell me what’s on your mind.”

“Even the bad?”

“Even the bad.”