Prologue

Shining Diamond [Love & Letter Series]

 

Jihoon strode from the room on shaky legs. The enormous doors of the council room slammed shut behind him and the bang of finality had Jihoon collapsing against the wall, unable to hold himself up any longer. He exhaled slowly, dropping his head into his arms and trying to slow his breathing to control his rapidly beating heart. What was he going to do?

 

“You will die at the hands of the Diamond.”

 

Standing under the scrutiny of hundreds of members of the Order, the proclamation had for once rendered him speechless. Death was not something he would have ever considered possible, not for someone with his abilities. But a prediction from the Order was not meant to be taken lightly. Jihoon’s life was in danger and it would not be an easy fate to escape from.

 

“What will you do, Ring Bearer?”

 

Jihoon raised his head to meet the black eyed gaze of his Guide. Mingyu stood in front of him, face shadowed by the long red cape that was draped over his shoulders. A cold smile graced his handsome features and a curious spark glinted in his eyes.

 

“What should I do? Isn’t it your job to tell me?” Jihoon asked sarcastically. He knew Mingyu liked to play games with him, Guides never gave out information for free.

 

His smile grew even wider. “You are lucky, there is a path. The Order has granted you permission to leave the Tower for the duration of the Festival of Crowns to deal with this, problem…”

 

Jihoon could only laugh in disbelief, the bitter sound filling the empty corridor. “And how did that happen?” He choked out. It was a well-known fact that the only thing harder than getting into the Tower was getting out.

 

“I’m sure Sir Seungcheol had something to do about that, we both know how devoted he is to your presence.” At Jihoon’s continued stare of doubt, Mingyu’s grin only grew. Jihoon was much smarter than most people assumed. It was the reason he kept him alive. “Though it may be in part that the Order is not ready to lose you yet. You come from a very influential District and to get Ninety-four as an enemy would not be pleasant.”

 

The pink haired boy looked down at his clasped hands, turning the silver ring on his pinky. “Politics, troublesome,” he grumbled and Mingyu’s deep laugh filled the air. In response a glare was to him and a rush of cold air filled the halls. “Tell me about the path,” he demanded. He didn’t want to dwell on the Order’s plans any longer, he knew how much of a pawn he really was.

 

“Kill the Diamond before he enters the Tower,” Mingyu told him, like the action was as simple as stating the words.

 

Jihoon’s words caught in his throat. He couldn’t have heard him correctly for what the Guide was suggesting was a death wish. “Are you crazy?” He gasped, “He’s not a Ring Bearer yet! I can’t just go around killing people outside of the Tower-”

 

“The Order has granted you permission.” The Guide locked his unflinching onyx gaze on the pink haired boy. To be questioned by a mortal was incredibly rude. “Kill the Diamond and you will survive, otherwise you will die at his hands inside of the Tower.”

 

Mingyu leant down and held out his hand, his red ring shining on his finger.

 

“Which path will you choose, Lee Jihoon?”