Hot Night

Sound of You

It’s hot in the studio that Thursday night. Normally Chanyeol is unbothered by the heat of their small workroom, but he can’t afford to be sprouting a pimple a few days before a very important event.

He voices his concern to Joonmyun. “Sure, let’s just take out another loan, it’s not like we’re already barely scraping by every month anyways.” Joonmyun replies, shooting him a look.

Damn Joonmyun’s passive aggressive attitude.

Chanyeol raises hands in surrender, backing up from the topic. He’ll just make sure to wash his face extra well that night. Joonmyun only sighs, and turns to Baekhyun.

“You have the tickets for Saturday, right?” He asks. Baekhyun confirms this and Joonmyun takes the tickets for safe keeping.

Minseok comes into the room a few moments later, a few select comments from Monday’s show in his hands. “Chanyeol-ah, your favorite commenter mentioned your crush on Chen.” He says, snickering.

“Hyung, how many times do I have to tell you that it’s not a crush?” Chanyeol groans, laying back on the small couch in the studio. “What did FunkyJD say this time?” He looks forward to the comments from the avid listener, it was nice knowing someone enjoyed what he has to say.

“He laughed at your little crush and said that he prefers D.O. more, but Chen’s still good.” Minseok said, glancing at the sheet.

Baekhyun grins, “So FunkyJD is a Kyungsoo fan, how does that make you feel, Yeol?”

Chanyeol shrugs. He and Funky didn’t have to agree between everything. At least Funky still acknowledged Chen’s abilities. Not that he cared what people thought of Chen or anything.

Joonmyun claps his hands, catching their attention. “Alright, guys. It’s seven, if we want to be out by nine let’s finish recording the comments section and the announcement for Saturday.”

Chanyeol gets up from the couch and Junmyeon takes over the spot. Chanyeol and Baekhyun take their place at the table, mics set up. Minseok checks over the system quickly and gives them a thumbs up.

“3…2…1…”

“Now we move onto the comments section before our final announcement for today’s episode. Byunster, would you do the honors of reading the first comment?” Chanyeol starts.

Baekhyun nods, even though the listeners won’t be able to view it. “Of course! VIPKingz writes, ! Kai-oppa and Krystal-unnie? Very cute!

Chanyeol agrees with the comment, before moving on. “Here’s a comment from CocoMT, Honestly wasn’t expecting Eric Nam and Solar on WGM, but I’m excited. I think they’ll be good for each other.

“I think they’re going to do great, right DJ PCY?” Baekhyun starts. “They’re both great singers, I would love to hear them duet together someday.”

Chanyeol hums into the mic. “Eric Nam did a song with Red Velvet’s Wendy before, right? And Amber of f(x). He seems to work well with female artists.”

“You know who else works well with female artists? DJ PCY’s favorite… Chen!” Baekhyun says.

Chanyeol can hear Minseok giggling from the corny segue and groans internally.

“Speaking of Chen,” Baekhyun continues. “He’s mentioned in the returning listener FunkyJD’s comment!” Baekhyun reads the comment and Chanyeol takes it in good stride.

“D.O.’s voice is really great too,” he points out. “I remember seeing some pre-debut stuff from him and thinking, ‘Wow, this kid’s going to make it big someday.’” He leaves out that he saw all the pre-debut performances in person, but the point is still true. “Chen’s voice is just more my style.”

“Chen’s voice, Chen’s face, Chen’s body…” Baekhyun says quietly, but loud enough for the mics to catch on. Chanyeol shoots Minseok a look to cut it out and the older man denies him with a shake of a head and a grin.

He enjoys Chanyeol’s suffering far too much.

“You know what else about Chen?” Chanyeol decides to cut Baekhyun off, moving onto the announcement. “He and the rest of Exo will be performing in Incheon on Saturday!”

“Yes!” Baekhyun says, excitedly. “And guess who was able to snag last minute tickets for the show?” He pauses for effect. “Us!”

“That’s right, HDH will be at the concert!” Chanyeol continues. “Although, we know that you all don’t know what we look like, and at this point we would like to keep it that way.”

“But,” Baekhyun stops him. “If you do happen to figure out who we are, feel free to say hello, just no pictures. We’re trying to keep a low profile while we’re still in school and I know there are many fans out there!”

Chanyeol claps, making sure the mic catches on to it. “That’s all for today’s episode, we’ll be back on Monday! Rather than news however, we’ll be going over our experience on Saturday. We’ll see you then!”

“I’ll make sure to scream Chen’s name extra loud on behalf of DJ PCY! Bye bye!” Baekhyun stops the recording before Chanyeol can protest and saves the file. Minseok takes the USB and is out the door quickly, wanting to quickly edit the entire thing before noon tomorrow.

Baekhyun and Joonmyun decide to stay behind and discuss the plan for Saturday, leaving Chanyeol to head back to his shared apartment with Baekhyun alone.

He still has to finish his main song for his composition class, but he’s been stuck on the chorus, unsure of how he wants to proceed from there.

Chanyeol won’t mention this to anyone, but he listens to Exo so much because he imagines the song using Chen’s vocals. It’s not that Chen is his favorite vocalist ever, but he has the right vocal tone and attitude when singing that just sticks with Chanyeol.

When Chanyeol reaches his apartment, he kicks off his shoes, bee lining to his room and falls face forward on his bed. He breathes deeply before rolling onto his back. He looks at the guitar next to his desk and the keyboard off to the side, and replays what he remembers from the song mentally.

Chanyeol gets up to at least try to get something out for the song, and runs his hands across his face. He sighs, as he feels the beginning of a pimple. Maybe he’ll use one of Baekhyun’s facemasks before the concert.


A/N: Finals are upon me :'( I'm not sure if I'll be able to update next week. But the next chapter should be exciting! Please comment if you want, I enjoy reading what you all have to say!