Not A Crush

Sound of You

The sound of clicking enters the small recording booth and papers shuffling can be heard. The clicking then stops and a deep breathe is taken before the word START is pressed.

“Welcome to Happiness, Delight, Hallyu, you’re bi-weekly podcast for current idol trends, I’m Byunster—”

“—and I’m DJ PCY.”

“And onto this episode’s news.” Baekhyun ends the intro and grins at his partner.

Chanyeol leans forward and looks at Baekhyun. “IU’s set to make a comeback soon, isn’t she?” He asks.

Baekhyun nods, confirming the question. “Yes! Her last album was really good, wasn’t it? I liked Zeze a lot.”

“Same here.” Chanyeol agrees. “But I wonder if she’s going to be promoting this time around? She didn’t do it for her last comeback.”

“I saw a rumor floating around on the internet that she’s only going to be promoting for about 3 weeks before leaving the country to film for her first major film! IU on the big screen finally.” Baekhyun supplies.

Chanyeol hums in surprise. “I wonder how her boyfriend Chang Kiha will feel being away for so long.”

Baekhyun lets out an exaggerated sigh. “Ah, the struggles of being in relationships.” His voice perks up suddenly. “Speaking of relationships, a new idol couple has been revealed just yesterday!”

“For our listeners who don’t know, Exo member Kai and f(x) member Krystal are revealed to be dating! The joy of young love.” Chanyeol says whimsically.

“They’re same age friends that have known each other for a long time, isn’t that nice?” Baekhyun says, voice sweet. “Young love, though? They’re only two years younger than us.”

“It’s still sweet.” Chanyeol states.

Baekhyun looks amused for a moment before making his next move. “Exo’s the group with the singer you like, right?” He asks, obviously waiting for this moment. “Chen?”

“I just think he has a very nice voice.” Chanyeol tries to say nonchalantly, but his eyes are screaming Is now really the time, Baek?

Baekhyun smirks, the smugness evident in his voice. “Yeah, among other things. You see, lovely listeners, I caught DJ PCY here looking up video compilations of Chen the other day—“

“For his voice!”

“You were looking up videos of that time the paper screen fell down and the fans could see him shirtless.”

Chanyeol stutters for a moment and mentally apologizes to Minseok for having to edit it later. “My hand slipped and I accidentally pressed it, okay? Now, onto the next segment—“

“I’ll update you lovely listeners on the next episode—“ Baekhyun injects quickly.

Chanyeol glares at the older for a second before proceeding. “Here are some of the comments from the last episodes release! HDH_Holic writes, ‘Byunster~ What color is your hair this time around?’”

Baekhyun reaches for his hair, “Ah, last episode it was pink, now it’s blue. I’m trying to go through the rainbow.”

“More like kill his hair.” Chanyeol snickers.

“Like you’re one to talk, grandpa.” Baekhyun shoots him a look, eyes training on his hair. “With your gray hair.”

Chanyeol rolls his eyes. “It’s stylish.” He states before continuing. “TaeNy07 commented,’ I really wish you guys could do regular live shows ㅠㅠㅠ.’ We’re definitely working on it! Byunster’s schedule is a bit hectic at the moment with school, but as soon as he’s free we’ll try to broadcast live a bit!”

Baekhyun agrees before moving on to the last comment, grinning. “Finally, from a favorite of ours, FunkyJD writes, ‘DJ PCY-ah. You’re so cool. I really liked your commentary on Zion.T’s new track, I feel the same way. Hope you’re doing well.’ Isn’t FunkyJD cute, PCY?”

Chanyeol smiles. “I’m glad you liked my comments, FunkyJD! It’s nice to hear feedback like this.” The sincerity evident in his voice. He looks at Baekhyun and then points at the time stamp on the screen to call for the song of the week.

Baekhyun understands the gesture and nods. “Now, here’s the song of the week lovely listeners! ‘My Star’ by Lee Hi. After this we’ll discuss the latest idol couple on We Got Married and the rumored Shinee tour!”

Baekhyun pauses the recording button and makes a note to have Minseok enter the song at the time slot. Chanyeol leans back on his chair, and scrolls down the webpage reading other comments that they didn’t read out loud.

“Yah, Chanyeol.” Baekhyun says, pushing Chanyeol’s swivel chair a bit with his foot. “Do you want to keep recording or take a break for a bit?”

Chanyeol yawns and looks at the outline for the episode in front of him. “Take a thirty minute break. I need to read over the WGM news again because I haven’t seen it since yesterday. Maybe there’ll be updates.”

Baekhyun nods. “It’s only the Monday update. Should we talk about it again for Friday’s upload?”

“Sounds good to me.”

The sound of the door opening causes their heads to turn. Joonmyun enters the room, greeting them as he sheds off his jacket. “You guys started recording already?” he asks, finally walking up to them.

“Yeah,” replies Baekhyun, handing him a copy of the topics for the day. “We’re just taking a break because we already recorded about five minutes’ worth of material.”

Joonmyun hums as he looks over it. “You already talked about the Kai and Krystal news?”

Chanyeol nods, “We touched on it briefly, but then Baekhyun got off track so I had to move it along.”

“I mentioned his crush on Chen, hyung.” Baekhyun grins as he says this and Joonmyun an eyebrow in Chanyeol’s direction.

“It’s not a crush!” Chanyeol groans, leaning back in his chair. He moves forward again to defend himself. “I just really enjoy his voice. I would have barely known about him if it wasn’t for it.”

Baekhyun laughs, “You would have known about him anyways.”

“Don’t you have a friend in Exo?” Joonmyun asks.

“Kyungsoo!” Baekhyun and Chanyeol say at the same time.

“We went to high school with him.” Baekhyun clarifies. “Though we’ll never tell that to the viewers. He does know about this show though.”

Chanyeol looks at him, confused. “He does?” He hasn’t been able to message the younger recently due to the idol’s busy schedule and his own university life.

“Yeah, he mentioned a few weeks ago when I was trying to get some insight on a comeback for them. He didn’t tell me anything about a new album, but he did mention that he recognized our voices when someone from his company was playing it.”

Joonmyun claps his hands. “Maybe they’ll sponsor us! So we can stop relying on listener donations half the time.” His eyes sparkle and Chanyeol can feel the business major’s excitement as he thinks about the opportunity to use his degree.

“I’ll talk to him about it?” Baekhyun considers.

“Maybe you’ll even get to meet your crush, Chanyeol-ah.” Joonmyun says and ignores the taller’s protests. “Now, what’s the plan for the song this time? Minseok told me to give him specifics on the time marks since we can’t insert the entire thing.”

Baekhyun begins pointing out different options to Joonmyun and Chanyeol pouts because he most definitely does not have a crush on Chen. Not even a little.