Admiration?

Sound of You

“Jongdae-yah,” Kyungsoo calls from his position in the living room, “that one show you like is on.” When he doesn’t hear a reply, he continues flipping through the channels.

Soon after he hears a thump, as if something – or someone – had fallen. He considers getting up for a moment, but realizes he doesn’t care that much and carries on.

A few moments later, Jongdae comes casually into the room, trying all too hard to look like he hadn’t just fallen from his bed.

Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow, questioning, “What’s up?”

Jongdae opens his mouth for a moment before closing it, as if contemplating the answer. Finally, “Just watched a really funny video,” is all he says and the topic is dropped. He settles next to Kyungsoo as the younger returns back to the original channel, and feigns interest, but his mind is elsewhere.

Prior to coming into the room, he heard DJ PCY mention his, Chen’s, name. DJ PCY. Of his favorite podcast show. Not that he would ever admit it to anyone. While everyone in Exo had at least one slightly out of normal interest, he didn’t really want to admit his was a podcast dedicated to discussing idols music and personal lives. Especially considering he was one of those idols. And the fact that he frequently commented under the username FunkyJD and becoming a sort of inside joke amongst avid followers and the two hosts.

However, this was the first time DJ PCY and Byunster mentioned him as Chen. Sure they mentioned him every other episode or so because of his comments, but they’ve never referred to Jongdae’s idol persona.

He may or may not fallen the moment he heard Byunster mention that DJ PCY had been looking at videos of him shirtless. And he definitely did not pause the podcast and leave the room during the music interlude in order to stop himself from fanboying. Nope, he surely did not.

Jongdae sighs, burrowing himself into the couch cushions and tries to lean on Kyungsoo’s shoulder, but is shrugged off shortly after when the other’s phone rings.

Kyungsoo reaches into his pocket and scowls at the name, before getting up and answering. As he’s walking away, Jongdae grabs the remote and lowers the volume, partially to not be rude to the person on the phone and also because he wants to know who was able to make Kyungsoo look so irritated so quickly.

“What do you need, Baekhyun?” He hears Kyungsoo ask. The characters on TV are at school and are looking at magazines. One of the girls looks vaguely familiar and Jongdae wonders if she worked with Kyungsoo before.

He can hear the amused hum that comes from Kyungsoo. “I’m not sure I can help you with that…” he hears Kyungsoo trail off. Jongdae thinks he could almost hear Baekhyun’s voice, but that would be near impossible. No one could be that loud, right? He thinks.

“I see,” Kyungsoo states after a moment. “Look, I don’t think I can help you completely, but I might be able to get you guys and your manager at the right place at the right time?” Jongdae’s focus is completely off the television now and he turns to look at Kyungsoo looking at the calendar that lists all their group and individual events.

Kyungsoo notices Jongdae and Jongdae raises his eyebrows, inquiring. Kyungsoo shrugs and turns back to the schedule. “We have an event two weeks from now in Incheon.” He pauses, “Yeah, Saturday.”

Now Jongdae is sure he can hear Baekhyun’s voice.

Kyungsoo smiles into his phone. “Just text me your address and I’ll send you tickets and passes. How many? Four? Got it.” After another few seconds he says goodbye and hangs up.

“Who was that?” Jongdae asks.

Kyungsoo makes his way back to the couch and flops down on the other side. “Just an old classmate and friend from high school. He just wanted to see if he could promote his radio show or something like that.” He waves his hand flippantly. “I can’t guarantee anything so I just gave him and his crew an inning to talk to our manager.”

Jongdae tries to lean over and ruffle the younger’s hair but his hand is slapped away. “You’re so nice to your friends, Soo. Why can’t you be nice to me?” He pouts.

Kyungsoo glares at him. “I’m only nice to Baekhyun because I’ve known him for so long and I know he would never quit nagging me until I give in. But pair him with Chanyeol and I might have just ended the conversation at no and hung up.”

“Who’s Chanyeol? Do you not like him?”

“Oh, I like both of them just fine. But together they’re hell.” Kyungsoo says, groaning a bit. “He runs the show with Baekhyun so you’ll meet them both in two weeks. You’d probably like them.”

“Anyone who can make you emote like that is a friend of mine,” Jongdae laughs. He feels confident enough now that he could return to his room and listen to the rest of the podcast without completely freaking out.

He gets up and has Kyungsoo record the show so he can fully enjoy it later.

Some twelve minutes after, Jongdae’s already writing his comment on the webpage. Just for his own personal amusement, he’s commenting “DJ PCY and his crush on Chen ㅋㅋㅋ I prefer D.O. more, but Chen’s still a solid choice. Their vocals are very good. Kai and Krystal fighting!”

He’s just posted the comment when his phone chimes from a notification on his private twitter.

@Byunster92: Guess who got tickets to see Exo in two weeks! There'll be other male fans for sure ㅎㅎ so don't try looking for us!! PCY is way more excited

Jongdae is surprised that they were able to get tickets since the event was pretty much sold out to the general public. Byunster was right in that there were male fans that came, usually sticking together, but Jongdae couldn’t help but get excited at the thought of possibly seeing the two. (Especially DJ PCY with his deep voice and witty comments, though Jongdae would never admit that out loud).

A second chime catches his attention.

@DJ_PCY61: Don’t listen to whatever Byunster may have said about me this week. I told Xiumin to cut it out, but he must have forgotten.

@Byunster92: @DJ_PCY61 I was with hyung when he posted it and he said “Why would I cut it out when it’s true?” ㅋㅋㅋ

@DJ_PCY61: @Byunster92 ㅠㅠ

Jongdae laughs at the exchange before closing his phone. DJ PCY’s little crush on him made him feel happy. It was nice knowing someone he admires also admires him. He fell into a light sleep, his final though wandering to Kyungsoo’s friends he was bound to meet in a few weeks.


A/N: but why couldn't Jongdae just connect the dots right then and there LOL. Thank you to everyone who has subscribed! I can't promise super regular updates (especially since finals are soon) but I hope you'll stick along for the ride!