10- Universe

Book 2: Descendants of the Stars

10- Universe

 

A mix of colors were strewn everywhere. Pieces of clothing getting selected, put aside, re-assessed, and re-selected yet again before it was thrown into the open tangerine luggages at the side. She looked around, finally noticing the clutter she made, and had let out a sarcastic laugh realizing how similar her room looks to what her feelings are--a total mess.

She heard soft music playing, slowly getting louder as she heard her door cracked open and her older sister going in with a hairbrush in hand.

“All your bags are packed, you’re ready to go~”

“Ohgod” her sister dramatically walked forward, swaying with the music and placing her arms over her.

“I’m standing here, outside your door” Her unnie snuggled onto her and she let out a laugh.

“Yuri unnie! Stop it!” she giggled, pushing her sister gently. Yuri pouted, looking around the bear’s room and sighing sadly.

“You could just...stay?”

“....nahhh~”

“YAH! DON’T YOU LOVE STAYING HERE WITH ME?”

“Maybeee~~” she teased, earning a glare from her sister and she laughed some more, forgetting all about her mess of a feeling. After about five times of her unnie placing back all her packed clothes in her closet and her glaring at her unnie and taking back the clothes again, Yuri had finally retaliated and instead had positioned herself spread-eagle on Seulgi’s bed.

 

“Soooo...”

“Sooo?”

“The camping trip is next saturday” her sister paused, gauging her reaction before continuing, “Should we...”

“I’m going to book my flight on that day.”

“You’re so stubborn!” Yuri rolled her eyes, picking up a misplaced shirt by her side and throwing it at her sister’s face but barely reaching the target. Seulgi laughed.

“Loser.”

“YAH! STOP HANGING OUT WITH SOOYOUNG! I swear she’s influencing you badly!” Yuri glared but ended up laughing at the end, joining her sister who just continued picking up her things.

“You think I’ll need this pillow or should I just buy another one?” The bear asked an hour into packing, holding onto a bear-shaped pillow that one of her friends had given her. A few moments passed and when she didn’t hear any answer, she turned around and saw her sister spacing out, eyes glazing over again. She sighed, halting what she’s doing and placing down the thing on her luggage.

“Unnie, do you want some ice cream?” She asked, donning her signature bear smile that usually charms her sister, “We can go to that newly opened one just down the corner~”

“You don’t want to go to our favorite shop?” Yuri smiled, eyes back to normal.

“....Last time I went there, I bumped into Wendy...” she felt her sister’s eyes on her and she can’t help but look away, trying to contain her feelings before looking back up. She met eyes with her sister and she knew that it’s going to be okay.

 


 

She stared at her phone screen for the nth time that day, re-reading the message flashed across it— Please talk to me. She sighed, placing her phone down on the bedside table and laying down on her bed, eyes closed as she felt a dark feeling envelop her—a feeling that’s been constantly getting stronger ever since she last saw her bear.

“Are you all packed for the camping trip?” She heard Taeyeon’s voice from her room’s door. She took a peak and saw the older one smiling warmly at her with worry filled eyes.

“Should I still go?”

“Why shouldn’t you?”

“I...I don’t know...” she closed her eyes and sighed.

“It’d be nice if you joined us. I think we all need this...after” Taeyeon paused, stopping herself and Wendy doesn’t need to think of the reason why.

Jessica.

She stood up, walking over to the eldest and pulling her into a hug. It’s been hard for everyone but she knows it’s been the hardest for Taeyeon even if the latter doesn’t show it.

“Alright, aunt Taeng. I’ll go pack.”

“Seulgi unnie’s going to be there too.” Joy piped up from behind Taeyeon as she walked past and it’s like something in her lit up, pushing the dark feelings aside.

 


 

Her backpack has been ready for several days now. She’s feeling nervous and giddy as she got ready for the camping trip ahead. Joy had told her that they were going to get picked-up by Yeri and her sister in a few minutes and she’s been up and about a few hours now—can’t really sleep from all the different feelings that keep on invading her.

“Unnie, you ready?” Joy peeked from outside her room, already dressed and ready for the day. She looked up, finishing tying up her hair, and nodding. “You look cute? We’re just going camping, unnie.” Her sister laughed and she rolled her eyes, picking up her back pack and pushing her sister’s face away from the door as she exited.

“There’s nothing wrong with looking presentable!” She huffed and Joy bursts out laughing. They walked towards the living room and saw Taeyeon holding on to the folded up tent they’re gonna be using and looking like her legs are going to give in anytime soon. Joy quickly took the heavy thing and rolled her eyes at her aunt.

“Seriously,Aunt Taeng? Can’t you just wait for us to get here.” To which the oldest only laughed and quickly ushered them out.

“Sooyoung said she’s a minute away. We’ll pick up the others after.” Taeyeon informed, looking at her phone to check if she has any more messages. Just then a loud beep startled her, almost dropping her phone in the process to which the other two just laughed at. She rolled her eyes and glared at the culprit.

“Soo!!”

“Oh, so I’m Soo now?” The tall girl grinned as she watched the three enter her van. The smallest scoffed, settling in the comforts of the car seat. The tallest just grinned and checked her phone to see a dozen of messages from her other friend. She rolled her eyes at that before starting to drive again, “the pink princess is getting impatient. They said to just pick them up at the convenience store near their house.”

They drove in a somewhat silence and it made Wendy feel more nervous than before. There’s this unsettling feeling in the abyss of her heart that she can’t quite shrug off… like something is detaching from her. She shook it off and thought that in a few minutes, she’ll finally see her best friend and then everything will be okay, of course, after she apologize and everything.

The flashing of the bright 24/7 signage of the store made the two youngest squint their eyes before Joy was suddenly being shoved to Wendy’s side and shouts of ‘Hey!!!!’ ‘Move!’ ‘What tHE HELL!!!’s Filling the van. It took a few minutes before everyone settled down with Yeri sitting at the third row seat with her sister, Tiffany, while Joy glared at the youngest, Irene rolling her eyes on her right side, and Wendy fixing herself on her left.

“Everyone good?” Sooyoung asked, looking at the rearview mirror before zooming off. The sun was already rising, the once dark sky turning from indigo to a somewhat warm orange. The stars already hiding themselves from the sun along with the moon whose figure is slowly diminishing. The van turned left and merged into the highway and Wendy was confused.

“Hey, aren’t we going to pick-up Yuri unnie and S-seulgi?” The whispers from the van suddenly quieted and Sooyoung looked uncomfortable while she gave some side-glances to Taeyeon and Tiffany.

“Uhmm...” Tiffany hummed, not really sure how to break it to Wendy.

“Unnie, Seulgi unnie’s flying today.” Yeri piped up. Wendy looked back at the youngest, eyes furrowed in confusion.

“Huh? Are we going that far? I thought it was just a two hour drive?” Yeri shook her head, she wanted to strangle her stupid bear unnie right now.

“Seulgi unnie got accepted to universities in the U.S. and she’s leaving today. In like an hour to be exact.” Wendy blinked.

Once.

Twice.

Her mind has gone blank for a second trying to process that information before it began swarming with images of her bear’s face smiling and laughing and teasing her and then flashes of Seulgi’s face when she told Wendy that she feels something for her and Seulgi’s solemn face when was avoiding her, and Seulgi’s lightless eyes when she heard that she confessed to Irene unnie, and lastly Seulgi’s heartbroken face when she saw her for the last time in the ice cream shop. She feels her head spinning and vaguely registering the worried voices from the others. The disconnecting feeling finally making sense and she feels the dark matter enveloping her whole being before something erupted in her.

“TURN THIS VAN AROUND!!!” She shouted and almost gave Sooyoung a heart attack, the van swerving from the lane and honks and beeps from the cars around them chastising them.

“Wendy!”

“TURN. NOW!!!” She demanded.

“We won’t make it, Wen.” Tiffany tried to coax but Wendy won’t listen to anyone right now and the eldest knew this. Taeyeon nodded before Sooyoung sighed and made a death-threatening turn to go back.

She was praying to all the heavenly beings as she pushed her way through the crowded airport. Eyes searching and heart hammering in her chest. This can’t be happening. She ran and ran until she’s in front of the departure gate, chest heaving, and beads of sweat already forming the side of her neck. She stared at the signage where “CLOSED” is written in bold. Her eyes trained to the window beside it where a plane was currently taking off.

“No...” she whispered, eyes getting blurry with tears.

 


 

“You know how to get there, right? And where the building is?” A head popped up from her room door making her halt placing some of her books in her bag. She rolled her eyes and chuckled.

“You know, you’re worse than my sister.” The girl glared at her and she can’t help but chuckle some more as she continued what she was doing and closing her backpack shut. “And yes, Krys, I know already. We’ve literally been going there everyday for the past two weeks just so you’re sure I won’t get lost!”

“Can’t blame me for being too careful. You’re dumb.” Krystal stated, leaning on the doorway and crossing her arms.

“YAH!” Seulgi glared. “There is a difference between being dumb and being slow!”

“I see no difference.” Seulgi scoffed.

“Well, you’re the one who has fallen head over heels over my charm so who’s the dumb one now?” It was Krystal’s turn to scoff at that.

“Careful there, your head’s getting so big It might pop.” She laughed. This has been a habit of theirs ever since she moved here about three months ago. She’s thankful for having Krystal, it somewhat lessened her homesickness and missing a certain someone.

“Is Yuri unnie gonna be visiting this month?” Her friend asked. She nodded and picked up her bag before walking out of her room with Krystal beside her.

“She has been flying here almost every month. I told her that she doesn’t have to do that because it’s so expensive. Seriously, I don’t know how she can afford it!”

“She probably sold Sooyoung unnie.” She laughed at that.

“You might be on to something there. I better ask if that’s what happened. I’ll see you later.”

“Text me when you’re at school!”

“YES, MOM!”

“Remember, your roommate will be here later!”

“UGH, YES I REMEMBER! BYE KRYS DONT MISS ME TOO MUCH!” And with that she’s off to the bus stop.

 


 

The greens of the trees and the blues of the sky somewhat mixes together. Leaves are softly falling on the path she’s walking on. The old but architecturally beautiful buildings of her university is one of her favorite sight to see. She smiled, turning a right at the university fountain and walking just bordering the bushes and into a somewhat sanctuary for her. She closed her eyes first and breathed in the fresh air before slowly opening them again and taking in the beautiful shrubs and flowers of every variety, their colors mixing serenely and easily with each other. In the middle, there’s a small sculpture of a star and a moon. She touched the pendant of her necklace and smiled. This...this is her favorite place.

 


 

She sat down inside her classroom, sighing because she just ended a call from an angry Krystal whom she forgot to text.

“She’s so extra naggy today” she whispered to no one in particular as she started to busy herself and getting out her things from her bag. She was getting nervous for her first day of class and she really hopes she does well today. Her phone vibrated for the nth time today and saw that it’s a message from Yeri. She smiled before opening the text. She’s been getting messages from everyone since this morning.

“Goodluck today, unnie! Hope everything goes well and your heart is finally full!” She scrunched her eyebrows at the very curious message. She decided to reply later, noticing that the class is filling in already and her nerves were really getting to her.

“Nervous?” Seulgi looked up, startled small eyes meeting round ones and a spasm of familiarity enveloped her. The dimmed constellations from within her began to grow brightly.

“W-what—” the figure sat down beside her, setting her things down before looking back at her.

“I’m quite nervous myself.” The girl paused, “see, my best friend left without even saying goodbye to me. I ran to the airport but wasn’t able to get there on time. Then I heard she was staying with that exchange student she met back home.” A huff, “and i panicked a lot because what if I was too late!”

“Late for…?” Seulgi was confused. Wendy leaned in closer, the star pendant glistening. They both stared at each other, eyes searching.

“Late to say that I love you.” The constellations inside her felt like it’s burning now, exploding into a clash of supernova as her cheeks and ears turned a bright shade of red.

“W-what??” Wendy leaned back, looking away for a bit and releasing a heavy breath before looking back at the bear.

“Seul, I love you. Sorry it took so long for me to realize it. Sorry that you had to go through all of that because of me. I’m really sorry my Seulbear… Please forgive me?” There was fear in Wendy’s eyes and Seulgi’s heart softened. She smiled softly.

“Of course I forgive you, Wan. I love you too.” Wendy smiled brightly. Both of them felt like stars connected and a new universe was created between them. Seulgi reached out and held her soulmate’s hand, ignoring the vibration of her phone signalling another text message.

Naggy Princess KrysJung

How’s your new roommate treating you? That Wendy is really something!


 


 

She placed a framed photo of her and Wendy wearing their black toga and waving their diplomas while being surrounded by their friends and family down on the living room table. It was the most amazing five years of their lives. She smiled gently before walking towards the bedroom.

“Love, are you ready?” She asked, her hands covering her eyes as she bumped onto their bedroom door. Wendy chuckled at her dumb girlfriend.

“What are you doing, Seul?”

“Huh?” The bear tilted her head in question, eyes still covered by her hands. “I’m asking if you’re ready?” Wendy shook her head and walked towards Seulgi.

“I meant, why are you covering your eyes?” She gently pried the older one’s hands away only to see Seulgi’s eyes tightly closed.

“I might walk in on you changing you know!!” Wendy’s torn between being amused and exasperated.

“Seul, love, open your eyes.”

“Are you fully clothed?” Wendy looked down and shrugged before answering with a ‘yeah’. Seulgi finally opened her eyes, all smiles before her eyes widened again and she slapped her eyes shut with her hands, filling the room with a loud ‘SMACK’

“YOURE NOT CLOTHED!!!! YOURE IN YOUR UNDIES!!!!!!!! IM SORRY!!!!”

“Love, you’ve seen me . We’ve had se-“

“LALALALALALALLALALALALALALALLALA” Seulgi began singing loudly to drown out whatever word was about to come out of her girlfriend’s mouth. HEr cheeks and ears are hot enough, thank you very much. Wendy rolled her eyes before sauntering off.

“Help me get dressed or no kisses for you” and that seem to shut the bear off.

“B-b-butbut”

“Come on.”

“Okay...”

“Seul”

“Yeah?”

“Open your eyes”

“...”

“Open them...” she finally obliged. Wendy was giving her a soft smile, dress in hand. Her heart seemed to do a certain backflip before settling into a calm rhythm that makes the universe between them circle.

“What’s this party for again?” Seulgi asked, helping the love of her life put on the dress.

“Someone important returned, remember?” Wendy smiled, signalling her lover to zip her up.

“Hmm, Yuri unnie’s gonna flip.” Seulgi announced and Wendy chuckled, turning around to give the bear a kiss.

“Joy and Irene unnie flew back yesterday.” Another kiss.

“HmmHmm.”

“Irene unnie’s gonna propose, I think..” Another kiss.

“Wait-what?!” Seulgi pulled back, shocked, and Wendy laughed before diving in for another kiss.



 

A/N: Hello! This took quite a while to write and tbvh there are some times when I thought I couldn't finish it at all. But I promised myself that I would, no matter what.. I really just had to find my writing mojo back (it's still not quite there yet but it's slowly building again). 

This is the last chapter and most probably the end of this series. Idk if I can write the third and final part that I've planned/said before so I might as well just end it here, no?

To everyone who was with me throughout this story, I thank you for your patience and support. To the new readers, hehe, welcome!!

I hope I've evoked something from within you all. Till next time!

Hearts hearts hearts,
Bunny