phase five; throwback.

Descendants of the Sun II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Alpha Team minus Shi Jin and Dae Young are fired up to make their successors stronger. Not because they simply have insight into Korea’s future defense department but because they can’t wait to retire and enjoy a decent time off on Sunday. But look at the used-to-be Capt. Yoo and always-stuck SM Seo—they rarely show their faces on weekend, as of today is no exception.

As far as the Alpha Team can tell, the recently promoted major is attending Dr. Kang’s ex’s wedding ceremony, making sure that his girlfriend won’t be freaked out at the party, to be exact. And for the poor second in command… who knows? Perhaps he’s still locking himself up in the office, dealing with the textbook-length report on his own because Maj. Yoo made him do so. Or he has not clued his partner in crime on the fact that Min Yoon Gi is getting married on this very day. Yeah, that Min Yoon Gi whose past they’re jealous of up to now.

But that’s none of their business, to be quite honest.

It is lunchtime. The seniors walk into the cafeteria first before letting the apprentices enter the place in a little while. In military, ranks undisputedly matter the most. To their advantage, the playful yet bored (yeah, everything will be possible out of boredom) Alpha Team make use of their seniority at this opportunity without a doubt.

“Everyone who ranks below me, come to attention. Now!” Harry Potter begins.

The unlucky juniors are left with no option but to drop their cutleries all together that very minute, paying close attention to what their senior has to say next.

“He’s out of his mind if he’s gonna do that here.” Comments Snoopy.

“Close your ears because I’m about to disclose some information,” Harry Potter continues, “Including your eyes! Don’t try to sneak a peek and read my mouth.”

“Idiot… What’s the point of declaring it then?” Hisses Piccolo under his breath.

Snoopy gives a chuckle, “Definitely a little throwback to that, huh?”

“To which event you mean?”

“You know,” Snoopy reminds quietly, “First Lieutenant Yoon was the first to do that. Sunbae said she locked lips with SM Seo. Well, it was too loud to hear a crashing noise—“

“No one asked for the detail!”

His eagle eyes scan the room to assure that no one dares to have a peep. Satisfied with how obedient these new Alpha Team members are, Harry Potter cries out a little bit too dramatic and a little bit too loud, “First Lieutenant Yoon is carrying Sergeant Major Seo’s child!”

To begin with, Harry Potter had the intention to provoke the clueless Sergeant Major so that he would come out of his office and scold him if worst comes to worse, anything he has in mind to make Harry Potter be of the opinion that he’s messing with the wrong person. After all, he sincerely wants to introduce SM Seo to the future Alpha Team and tells him to loosen up a bit in the midst of taking the paperwork in hand. Getting him into a new trouble is another story, if Harry Potter still has a say in this.

At the wrong time, in the wrong place, Lt. General Yoon aka Myeong Joo’s father sets foot in the cafeteria and has been listening in on the serious joke Harry Potter’s carelessly telling.

“What on earth did you say?” Is all the furious father says.

***

“Sunbae, we’ve agreed to come by ourselves,” greets Myeong Joo as she sees the man next to Mo Yeon, “Care to explain why are you bringing your dearest boyfriend along?”

Dr. Kang herself doesn’t seem in good spirits because her boyfriend has changed their original plan. She nudges Maj. Yoo in the rib, giving a sign so that he will give an excuse to their lovely hoobae. “Good day isn’t it, First Lieutenant?”

The army doctor eyes this couple from head to toe before rolling her eyes. Nervously, Shi Jin wraps his arm around Mo Yeon’s waist and brings her closer to his side. “Quit your lovey-dovey act Sunbae,” warns the younger doctor. She then mumbles, “It makes me miss Seo Dae Young even more…”

“Uhm, did you say something perhaps?”

“Whatever. I’m calling my boyfriend and ask him to come along—“

Just when Myeong Joo takes out her phone of her purse and sticks it to her ear, the former captain impulsively manages to touch the bottom of her phone, intending to tip the phone over and catch it before it reaches the ground. The last time he did so was a big success and he nailed impressing Mo Yeon in the end. But this unusual time, he fails to take hold of the phone and unintentionally let it drop to the carpeted floor.

The first lieutenant’s eyes open out in shock, parting for a split second as she becomes aware of what’s going on. She glances down to discover her phone has broken into pieces, scattered around the floor. Still in disbelief, she gives the man whom her father gave a blessing to in the beginning a black look. Tears glint out of the corner of her eye. “Seriously Sunbae? The money I’ve been saving up is not enough to buy me a new phone!”

“Listen, First Lieutenant,” the guilty major kneels and picks up the phone pieces by pieces. “I’m sorry, okay? I’m making up to you now and I’ll help you find a loan—“

“I don’t need a loan! I need a new phone!” She stomps off outside the ballroom, leaving Shi Jin and speechless Mo Yeon behind.

The doctor shrugs, “And who told you to perform that? Well, I’m feeling lucky now since you didn’t break my phone back then…”

“It’s working fine,” the major points out at the phone he’s restarted, “Should I call SM Seo on her behalf?”

“Maybe it’s better if you give the phone back first…”

***

Dae Young rivets his attention to the computer screen; proofreading the longest report he’s ever written in his entire life. Before he reaches the end of the document, the lieutenant general requires his presence to be in his office immediately. He’d only be lying if he said he wasn’t curious about what Myeong Joo’s father wishes to discuss. To all appearances, the topic he has in mind sounds serious in every respect. Is it relating to Myeong Joo, by any chance? He doubts that since he and his girlfriend are on extremely good terms at the moment—they rarely fight over trivial matters unlike in the past and let alone persuade Myeong Joo’s father to approve of their relationship.

Oh, but her father has given Dae Young his approval, hasn’t he? It’s all what matters now. For the rest, he can’t really picture anything putting their status at risk.

As he arrives at the lieutenant general’s office, Dae Young salutes.

“There is no need to be so formal right now. I’m addressing you as my future son in law here…” Myeong Joo’s father keeps a straight face. “Take a seat first.”

Without further ado, the Sergeant Major seats himself on the couch facing LTG Yoon. The atmosphere fills with uncomfortable silence for a moment before Myeong Joo’s father clears his throat, “Rumor has been spreading around the headquarters that my daughter, Myeong Joo is… pregnant. Are you responsible for it, Seo Dae Young-ssi?”

***

Simultaneously, before Myeong Joo walked off to the corner of the ballroom, she saw her way to grab an alcoholic beverage to keep her company. Under the artificial tree, she leans her back against the trunk and takes a si

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter