Act 12

Still

Author note: So the end of semester is approaching, and with it comes the exam period. :( I don't think I will be active at all during that period, but hopefully I'll find some nice ideas after the exam end.

Act 12

So, we have been living in this zombie-run city for quite some times now. We have decent jobs, housing, and living; much better than what you would expect for zombies. We are pretty established here, but the city never fails to impress me. After all, we’re living in an era where Superzombie and zombie pet shark exist.

Pop quiz: what is the political system of this city?

At first look, most zombies would guess that it is democracy. And so was I. But apparently I was wrong.

It is monarchy. Run by his unholiness the zombie king, whose real name is keep secret from the public.

He apparently is not interested in the mundane rotting world of everyday zombie, and instead assign the whole government thing to the selected ones. As the name suggests, the selected ones are selected by, well, us. This give the outward appearance of democracy, although the king can retake his power at any moment.

The election is happening soon, with it all the usual debate, discussion, and drama. All residential zombies are required to vote, and so are we.

“Do you find anyone interesting?”, Jinhwan asked while lying on his couch.

“Let see… candidate #1 promised to give us more… pet options? How is that supposed to help? And #2 promised to develop public friendly… blood wine? Like, alcohol for zombies?”, Hanbin said, analysing the candidates.

“I never heard of that thing before…”, I interrupted.

“Apparently, it is a new thing, just out of the lab these last couple weeks. Only a handful few got the chance to taste it so far.”, Jinhwan explained.

Chanwoo just stares at me the whole conversation, and from the way he looks at me, I already know what’s coming.

“Have you ever drink alcohol before, when you’re human?”, Chanwoo asked when we’re alone in our room.

I simply nod at his question and asked back, “You?”, even though I already know the answer.

He quickly shakes his head and stares at me with hopeful puppy eyes.

“Do you want to try?”, I asked.

He nods.

“Alright, We’ll see if we can get some tomorrow.”

“Yay! You’re the best!”, he said, leaping at me for a hug.

The next day, we go to the lab in hope of getting some of this so-called blood wine.

“Ah, you must be looking to get some blood wine.”, a guard said with a disinterested tone. “You can’t get any without a license.”, he continued, then proceed to look at his computer while ignoring us.

“But please… I just want to taste a little…”, Chanwoo tried to negotiate with his best begging tone, but the guard isn’t even looking at us.

“That’s ok, they can come in. I know them.”, a voice came out from behind the door.

“You’re lucky.”, the guard said while pressing a button to open the door.

Surprise, surprise. It’s Donghyuk.

“Donghyuk!”, Chanwoo quickly runs toward Donghyuk, jumping around. Obviously happy that he can get some of that wine.

“How can you get in?”, Chanwoo asked.

“I work for the government, remember?”, Donghyuk said proudly while pointing at his name tag.

When we’re inside, Donghyuk quickly lead us toward a very specific room on the second floor, telling us to ignore any weird sound or smell that show up from other rooms; of course with his mandatory flirting-with-my-Chanwoo act that I somehow get used to.

As soon as we enter the room, strong smell of alcohol quickly fills our whole nose. And we’re also greeted by an unfamiliar face.

“You’ll get used to the smell.”, he said. “I’m Yunhyeong.”, he continued while offering his hand for a handshake.

“I’m Junhoe, and this is Chanwoo.”

“Oh, so this is Chanwoo.”, he said while examining Chanwoo closely. “You’re indeed a cute one, no wonder Donghyuk is flirting with you.”

“Wha… What?”, Chanwoo asked with a confused expression.

“You didn’t even greet me, Yunhyeong. You broke my heart.”, Donghyuk interrupted with a dramatic tone.

“Hi Donghyuk.”, Yunhyeong said disinterestedly.

“Just that?”, Donghyuk asked.

“You see, I was a victim of Donghyuk’s flirt a few years ago.”, Yunhyeong explained. “But after you see past his bull, you’ll learn to ignore him soon enough.”

“What…!? I’m not that kind of person!”, Donghyuk protested. Yunhyeong harsh comments leave a big smile on my face. Past his bull, eh? But when you look at how they interact, they have this weird… chemistry, you can say. I bet they will make a great couple if Donhyuk isn’t already with Bobby.

“So, what is your relationship?”, Chanwoo bluntly asked.

“ buddies.”, they said synchronously, with a very chill tone, making me cough.

“ buddies!?”, I asked in disbelief.

“Yes.”

“And Bobby is ok with that?” I asked again.

“And Bobby is included in that.”, Donghyuk said.

“You can, too. After paying the administration fee, of course.”, Yunhyeong said jokingly.

“That’s it. I’m out.”, I said while faking leaving, making everyone laugh.

“Anyway, these guys…”, Donghyuk tried to say.

“I know.”, Yunhyeong quickly cut him off. He then produced 4 vials from a nearby cupboard. “1%, 5%, 10%, 20%.”, he said, pointing at each vial. “Which one?”

Chanwoo and I just stare at each other for a while, before Chanwoo says, “5%?”.

“Sure, here you go. Make sure you don’t drop it on the way home.” Then, Yunhyeong quickly ushers us out of his room, “Now go. I have work to do.”

On our way out, Chanwoo just jumps around happily with the blood wine vial in his hand, while Donghyuk and I walk behind him.

“Be careful with that thing.”, I said.

Suddenly, Donghyuk pull closer and whisper something to me, “Make sure he is inside your room before drinking it.”

“What, why?”, I asked also with a whisper.

“You see, there is a reason why it’s not public yet. It works more like a drug than alcohol. It’s going to make him a little… hot, you can say. You won’t believe what that thing did to Bobby”

“Let me guess, 3 rounds?”

“6. And that’s with 1%. God knows what will happen with 5.”

Ah… This is going to be a long night.

The next morning.

Hanbin enters the house after his grocery shopping, quickly noticing an almost empty vial on the dining table.

“What’s this?”, he said. There is a quick note that says ‘To our lovely Hanbin and Jinhwan Hyung. Drink this!’.

“Is this that blood wine thingy?”, he asked to himself.

“Hanbin~~~”, Jinhwan suddenly appears, , face red like a cherry. He quickly approaches Hanbin, calling him lewdly all the way.

“Did you… drink this?”, Hanbin asked.

“Who cares. Right now I want you!”

Meanwhile, from another room.

“How long do you think they will last?”, Chanwoo asked.

“I don’t know. But I’m sure they won’t beat our record of 20 rounds.”

He laughs at my comment, before approaching me. “Well, let’s make it 21 then.”


Moral of the day: Don't do drugs...