Beautiful Moments

Blood of Flowers

Jimin leaped gracefully from one rooftop to the next, as steadily as a panther in pursuit of its prey. Though he could sense Joy’s presence somewhere among the dimly lit streets of the Dark City, he knew he needed to feed before meeting up with her, or else he would end up doing what he did last time. This time, I’ll be strong. I won’t give in that easily. The evil part of my cursed soul shall not tempt me around her…

            He swooped down from the rooftop of a nightclub and held his first prey of the night in his clutches. It was a middle aged man who wore glasses and carried a briefcase.

            “Doing business in a nightclub…?” questioned Jimin as he grabbed the man by his collar, his grip on him like an iron fist.

            “Just take what you need so I can go home. I had a feeling I’d get caught tonight, but my boss said the meeting was too important to skip. I’m carrying millions in my briefcase here, if you want money in-”

            “Money won’t get rid of the excruciating burning in my throat,” Jimin hissed, knocking the man’s briefcase to the pavement. “Shut up and stay still.” He dug into his victim’s neck, taking pleasure in his warm, untainted blood, and was unable to keep himself from gulping it down noisily. It’s too good…I wish I could drink it all. He shoved the man away when he was done drinking from him, watching as the weak human scrambled to pick up his briefcase and hurry home. A little bit of blood had spilled onto his clothes, but it didn’t matter because he knew Joy wouldn’t mind. He made his way over to where she was by following the trail of her flowery scent and found her on one of the swings at the park. She looked dangerously gorgeous in white, ruffled high-waisted shorts, a baby pink top, and white platform heels with white socks.

            Jimin sat down on the swing beside her. “You’ll get sick if you keep dressing like it’s July.”

            “That’ll give me another excuse to skip more school,” she replied, eying the blood on his white and black striped collared shirt.

            He laughed, but secretly he liked how she dressed up just for him. “You look beautiful.”

            Joy blushed. “A human’s beauty cannot match that of a vampire’s.”

            “When I first saw you, I almost thought you were a vampire. That’s how pretty you are.”

            “You’re too kind to be a vampire. Maybe we should switch places.” She let out a laugh too; it was a musical sound that made Jimin like her even more.

            He got off the swings abruptly. “Don’t joke around like that, Joy. You don’t want to be a vampire. My kind only lives to feast upon the blood of innocents.”

            She came up a few steps behind him and placed her hand on his shoulder. “J-Hope saved you from dying that day 122 years ago. Would you rather be dead or alive as you are now, living with your Bangtan family?”

            Instead of answering her question, he asked her one. “How old are you?”

            “Seventeen.”

            So I’d guessed right earlier. “I lived as a human for twenty-three years," started Jimin, again falling deep into his memories. "I can remember everything clearly, from the way my younger brother would cutely tease me and what my mother's perfume smelled like. It was the scent of cherry blossoms blooming in the springtime. I recall how my father tutored me in my school subjects with the utmost patience." He took a deep breath as if to steady himself before continuing. "After my transformation I couldn't control myself for years. It takes an average of four years as a vampire to finally regain self control and be able to feed without killing. Back then there weren't any laws restricting vampires, but with the immortal birth of the youngest vampire of the 4Minute clan twenty-five years ago, everything changed."

            "That's when the truce was called between humans and vampires," remembered Joy as she had learned about it in history class.

            "That's right. You've lived your whole life under the safety of the truce. But your parents were raised in a dark time when human bodies formed piles on the sidewalks and the streets ran with the crimson color of blood. Have they told you stories from back then?"

            She shook her head. "No...actually, they've rarely ever talked about those days because they didn't want to frighten me. But now with the truce basically broken, my classmates fear for the worst. It's all over the news, too. Everyone thinks a war is coming. People are afraid that more humans will be found dead soon. There's been a boy missing from our class since last week, and rumor has it he's also been killed by a vampire." She paused for a long moment before going on to tell him about her nightmare in full detail, wanting him to understand that Yeri’s spirit was guiding Joy to look for the answers in all the right places.

            He was stunned into silence for a few seconds that passed like an eternity to Joy, and then said, "Your kind already fears us though the truce hasn't been called off complete yet. We've been faced with a tough decision, Joy. We either help the human police force with their investigation of Yeri's death, which means possibly betraying our own clan members who could have been involved, or we go to war."

            She made Jimin face her and forced him to look into her eyes. "Tell me what your clan wants. Do you wish to help my people, or will you murder us by the millions?"

            He let out an exasperated sigh. "The other two vampire clans, 4Minute and Beast, would rather go to war.”

            “I just don’t understand…”

            “Hyuna went rogue from 4Minute last year and began living with the werewolves, which is a huge breach of vampire code. Our kind despises werewolves, but Hyuna seems to be plotting against vampires and humans with the help of her new friends. Even so, it seems that 4Minute is trying to protect their ex-member by not cooperating with the humans. They know that she had something to do with Yeri’s death, and the rest of us believe so too. Beast simply takes 4Minute’s side on most matters because two of their members are dating vampires from 4Minute, and another Beast clan member, Hyunseung, is quite close with Hyuna, even these days. It’s clear that 4Minute and Beast both wish to go to war against your people and take over the Dark City again.” He bit his lip anxiously. “My clan wants to help, all except for our oldest vampire Jin. He was the first vampire to walk upon the ground of this planet, and his views are very old-fashioned. He believes that vampires were supposed to rule the world and that it was our role to finish off the werewolves. To him, humans are simply food, and though the new law of our city states that we cannot kill a human when feeding or under any other circumstance, Jin puts his victims through the worst kind of suffering. He humiliates them, tortures them, them…but he never kills, and the last thing he wants is to betray other vampires, even if they did help kill Yeri.” Jimin decided not to add that before the truce between humans and vampires, Jin murdered more humans than any other vampire out there. “Though the three vampire clans live in different houses, we all still consider one another to be our vampire siblings and therefore we must treat everyone with respect. But our clan leader is Rap Monster, otherwise known as RM, and he wishes to cooperate with the police.”

            Joy ran her hands through her black hair. “It is possible for me to meet your clan tonight? I would like to discuss what I’ve found out so far and see if they have anything that could be of use to me and Jungkook’s investigation.”

            “I really don’t know how they’ll react to me bringing home a human girl,” Jimin hesitated. But looking into her eyes made it so difficult for him to resist her. “Okay, fine, maybe we can try. But the second I sense that Jin or someone else is about to lose their temper and harm you, I’m getting you out of there. So just trust me and stay by my side. Now, do you wish to bring your friend Jungkook along with us?”

            Joy’s palms grew clammy and her breaths quickened, but she tried to keep a poker face as she didn’t want Jimin to think she was regretting her choice to meet the rest of his clan. “Thank you so much, Jimin. Y-yes, I’ll go bring Jungkook. Actually, he’s staying at my house for a few days until my parents return from visiting my aunt.”

            “Hurry and bring him here. I’ll be waiting,” replied Jimin as he leaned back against the brick wall and lit a cigarette.

 

 

            Jungkook could hardly believe that he and Joy were about to pay a visit to one of the three vampire clan’s homes. It is really safe…? I won’t regret agreeing to this later, right…? As he tried to push his doubts away, Joy safely led him to meet Jimin. He couldn’t help but wonder if they were dating yet. Has a vampire ever dated a human before? After all, they can’t go out to places during the daytime like normal couples, so wouldn’t it put a strain on the relationship?

            “I’m Park Jimin,” the vampire greeted Jungkook as he smoked his cigarette. “You must be Jungkook. Sorry about your friend. It was a shame losing a human like her; everyone liked Yeri.”

            “Thank you, I appreciate your kind words,” responded Jungkook as he took in the vampire’s appearance. He was dressed in expensive designer clothes and had a slim yet muscular build with a jaw line so sharp it could cut into glass. No wonder Joy likes him. I know I was the one who pushed her to go through with the plan of making him fall for her to get information but I never expected her to actually fall for him like this…Ah, damn, I’m such an idiot…

            They headed over to the Bangtan home, both of the humans growing tenser by the minute and Jimin hoping that Jin wouldn’t overreact as he feared he would. But Jungkook and Joy both knew that they needed to talk with the Bangtan clan to get more information about who else was working behind the scenes and how they could get proof that Yeri was indeed killed by both vampires and werewolves.

            They stopped in front of a wrought iron gate that surrounded a white mansion with a red stucco roof and castle-like structure. There were at least three stories, and double French doors led to balconies on each floor. A marble fountain decorated the front lawn, sprouting clear water that reminded Jungkook of the ocean of which he had only seen in pictures and films. The three of them made their way to the front steps that were surrounded by rose bushes on either side and Jimin unlocked the front double doors. The inside was even more beautiful than the outside, which Jungkook hadn’t expected as he had thought vampires wouldn’t care much about keeping things neat or buying much furniture. Did they sleep? He realized that he didn’t know as much about the bloodsucking creatures as he had thought. Taking a deep breath, he slowly spun around in awe and absorbed in every magnificent sight.

            “This is…this is a-awesome!” he exclaimed, grinning widely. “You’re so lucky to live here…It’s like a castle…!”

            Joy seemed slightly embarrassed. “Ah, Jungkook, calm down,” she reminded him quietly. But she was impressed too. Renaissance paintings and marble statues were placed elegantly throughout the mansion, and glass chandeliers hung from every room’s ceiling. Wall candlesticks added a touch of sophistication to the sky blue painted walls and blue floral wallpaper that decorated the bathrooms and kitchen. Baby pink silk curtains led them to the main family room which presented a great display of flat screen televisions and solid gold tables that matched white and gold sofas and chairs. In the study there were ladders that touched the tops of bookshelves that towered so high they nearly met the ceiling. They kept a massive collection of more novels than Joy had even known existed, from every genre and every author all sorted alphabetically. A grand double staircase twisted and turned until it reached the second floor with a single trail of red carpet covering the middle of the wooden steps. One statue stood out in particular to Jungkook, a depiction of the Mary holding a baby Jesus in her arms, looking godlike and even somewhat terrifying to the boy as the statue was so tall. But before Jimin could show them the rest of the mansion, one of his clan brothers appeared in front of them at the speed of lightning.

            “Are you insane?” asked the vampire as he grabbed Jimin by the collar. “Who are these…humans?” he said the word as if it were a disease. Joy was frightened but also star-struck by his looks; his pink hair was the color of cherry blossoms and it gave him a prince-like aura full of dazzling authority that made Joy realize he could only be Jin, the eldest vampire in all of known history.

            “They’re my friends! Jin, please, calm down and at least give them a chance to explain their situation to you and th-”

            “I don’t want to hear a single word,” the eldest vampire spat, his fingers still closed around Jimin’s neck, squeezing until the younger vampire struggled to breathe. “How dare you even think about bringing them here! This is my home, understand? I was here long before you and the others!”

            “Jin!” shouted another vampire from somewhere upstairs before rushing down and shoving Jin away from their younger clan member. “What do you think you’re doing? You’re the oldest, yet you don’t even have a single ounce of self-control in your body. Get a hold of yourself, Jin.” He apologized to Jimin and turned his attention to the two humans. “Why are you here?”

            Jungkook gulped nervously. “I’m Jungkook and this is Joy. We’re Yeri’s friends, and we’re trying to find out exactly who was involved with her death. We have a few leads already.”

            The vampire nodded. “I’m RM, the leader of the Bangtan Boys clan.” His eyes were so black they looked like bottomless holes, and Joy could feel herself falling, falling deep…

            “RM, don’t do that,” snapped another man from behind Joy. She jumped, startled by the mysterious, glum-looking vampire who made his way to the middle of their little circle. He was also undeniably handsome, with black hair that fell a little into his eyes and pale skin that looked as smooth and spotless as the Renaissance statues in their home. “Our leader has a special ability to hypnotize humans by staring at them directly. That’s why he usually wears sunglasses around humans,” he explained. “I’m Suga, by the way.” He shook hands with Joy and Jungkook, but Joy noticed that he never smiled as he spoke. Instead, he seemed to carry himself in a very confident yet calm manner, as if he didn’t have anything to prove and didn’t care about impressing anybody.

            Two more vampires entered the room, and just like the others they were dressed in designer outfits that probably cost more than everything in Joy’s closet. One of them had golden brown hair and eyes so grey they looked almost silver, sparkling with interest and amusement. “Ah, this must b-”

            Jimin cut him off before he could finish his sentence. “V, purple suits you really well,” he said, referring to his friend’s dark purple and white striped suit.

            “Thanks, Jimin!” he laughed. “So, what are we all doing standing here? Should we party or something? Or shall I do a dance?”

            Joy couldn’t stop herself from giggling; V was really funny and eccentric to her. He didn’t even seem like a vampire because he fit the class clown type more.

            But the other vampire next to him was more serious even while flashing a bright smile for the humans. “My name is J-Hope. I’m your hope,” he said cheerfully, adjusting his black beanie that covered most of his chocolate brown hair. “We’re ready to hear your story, Joy and Jungkook. Please, don’t be afraid. We do not wish to harm the two of you. Any friend of Jimin’s is also our friend, whether they are vampire or human.”

            “This better be worth my time,” Suga grumbled from the corner. “I could be sleeping right now.”

           

           

            Awhile later, the eight of them sat at the dining table, Jin and RM at either end as those spots were reserved for the eldest member and the leader. Silver goblets filled with wine lay in front of them, and RM raised his in a toast to honor the two human guests and in remembrance of their late friend Yeri. After Joy and Jungkook explained their entire situation to the vampire clan, filling them in on Joy’s physic dreams and their visit to the werewolves’ territory, the clan took a vote on whether or not they wished to help the humans bring justice for Yeri and the boy who had gone missing at their school, and prevent the deaths of more humans. Five against one, the Bangtan clan was in favor of granting aid to Joy and Jungkook, with Jin being the only one on the opposing side.

            “These humans will end our clan,” foreshadowed Jin. “I’ve seen this for a long time coming. That’s why I didn’t want for us to get involved with their kind. And Hyuna…she used Yeri’s blood to create an invincible werewolf species. Hybrids,” he said, gritting his teeth. “But what does it matter that I’m the eldest vampire known to roam this cursed planet? None of you have any respect for me.” Jin shoved his chair back, the screeching sound hitting Joy’s ears painfully, and he stormed out of the formal dining room.

            Suga made a tsk sound, a disappointed look casted over his face like a shadow. “Jin created me, making possible the birth of my vampire form…so how can he doubt me like that? I owe him my life, but he’s so difficult to understand at times.”

            J-Hope forced a cheery smile. “He’ll come around eventually, guys.”

            “We won’t be able to defeat the hybrids on our own. We need to come up with a plan to somehow channel enough power and energy- enough to defeat those monsters. First let’s ask 4Minute and Beast again if they’re willing to help, although I’m sure most of them will refuse like last time.” RM tapped his fingers against his glass thoughtfully. “V, you mentioned once that a witch belonging to a different city gave you a spell book containing various chants and rituals for connecting to the DreamWorld.”

            V nodded. “Ah, yeah, she did, but we’ve never tried it and it may not even work. Still, I suppose it is worth a shot.”

            Joy frowned, totally lost as to what those words meant. “What’s the DreamWorld?”

            “It’s a link to another world, or perhaps a different dimension, one that exists and yet does not exist all at once,” answered Suga as he poured more wine into his glass. “Very few people know about it, so that witch must have been very well-connected and talented.”

            “She gave the spell book to me while she lay on her deathbed,” V said at last. “…I held her cold hands and stayed with her in the last few moments of her life, and she told me that she didn’t want the secret of the DreamWorld to die with her. So she handed that book over to me, and warned me to only use it in extreme times of need, like life or death situations. It’s power is too strong to be mishandled, and the potion which you must drink to enter the DreamWorld is so addictive that it’s made others before us die from overdoses while others stayed in the DreamWorld for so long they got lost, trapped there…only to never return back to our world. I can only imagine they either died there while being unable to leave or became crazy due to all of the hallucinatory agents that exist there. That is why it’s one of the darkest secrets of our world.”

            “Its power is taboo,” agreed J-Hope.

            Jungkook felt chills slithering down his spine like snakes. “What’s the potion called? The one you drink to enter the DreamWorld, I mean.”

            “Absinthe.” Jimin glanced around at each vampire. “I think it’s our best bet. Let’s see if the other clans change their minds and help us, but it still won’t be enough to defeat the werewolves and hybrids. Let’s do it.”

            RM sighed, running his hands through his chocolate brown hair, and agreed, “Let’s do it, then. But Joy and Jungkook; the two of you are humans and if we sense that this was some sort of trap to kill off our species or anything else, I’ll finish you. Is that clear?”

            They both nodded their heads with wide eyes.

            “Good,” the leader exclaimed. “I trust you. We’ll help you get vengeance for your friend and prevent those hybrids from harming anymore humans, or vampires, for that matter.”

            They filed out of the formal dining room, walking through the mansion’s long hallways, Jungkook admiring the paintings once again. He stopped in front of one, a depiction of fallen angels that looked to Jungkook like half-human, half-beast monsters. He thought of how human society labeled vampires and werewolves as monsters even though they hardly knew them personally. Are we really that different from them? Not all of them are monsters, yet they are all dangerous because of their abilities and needs…Ah, this whole situation is a lot more complicated than I thought…

            Joy placed a hand on Jungkook’s shoulder. “Do you mind waiting outside for just a moment?”

            He blinked, then nodded slowly. “Oh, yeah…sure, that’s fine,” he managed, hearing his voice crack and cursing under his breath. He stepped outside to wait alone, counting down the minutes as they dragged by.

            “Jimin,” started Joy, “Thank you so much for taking our side and bringing us to your home. I know it’s not easy to go against Jin, but you still did it for me.”

           He reached for her right hand and intertwined his fingers through hers, whispering, “We’re in this together, Joy. I won’t let you down.”

            Joy remembered the plan she had formed with Jungkook, the one about using Jimin to get information, and realized that she had him exactly where she wanted him. One way or another, she had accomplished her task of using him to her advantage, but if her feelings were real, was it really such a manipulative thing to do?

            “Joy,” he whispered again, this time into her ear, “Vampires are damned to spend an eternity writhing in bloodlust and being despised by nearly every other species on the Exo planet. Before you came into my life, I existed simply for the taste of human blood on my tongue, but now, more than blood, I crave for these moments with you.”

            Joy felt the blood rushing to her cheeks as Jimin leaned in and surprised her with a kiss. His lips were soft against hers, his touch so gentle as if he feared she would shatter into a million pieces like glass. “Can I call you…mine?” he asked hesitantly once he pulled away.

            “I’m yours,” responded Joy in a heartbeat, finding herself locked in his embrace.

            He pressed his lips against her forehead, closing his eyes for a moment, wishing she didn’t have to leave so soon. But he knew that Jungkook was her guest and it was rude to keep guests waiting for long, so Jimin sent her off with a wistful smile.

            Outside, Jungkook kept his gaze on the ground below his feet, his hair falling into his eyes. “If you’re done, let’s go home.” Joy kept the conversation light although he didn’t make eye contact even once with her, somehow knowing deep inside his heart that Joy was truly Jimin’s now, and he was no match for her after all. Last night was amazing, Joy…The last time I’ll ever sleep by your side, even as a friend… Just as he had suspected, Joy asked him if he wished to sleep in her room again, but he shook his head and politely refused, instead opting for the guest bedroom.

            “Sleep well,” said Jungkook.

            He didn’t sleep at all.