Mental Picture

You're my Muse

Click. The soft sound resonated off the walls of the lower level aquarium. Hoseok had decided to take a trip with his friend Hyunwoo to one of the neighboring countries to visit a few places that they missed out on the last time they were there. One of the places on that list was the well-known aquarium he was currently standing in the middle of. Of course, he brought his camera along and was now taking pictures of some of the more exotic fish. He loved how a lot of them had striking patterns and bright colors, obviously meant to ward off bigger creatures and potential threats. For Hoseok however, it only ever made him want to get closer.

He definitely couldn't be described as a risk taker though, only tempted to get close, never actually taking the extra step to do so. In fact, he had quite a few fears, heights being the biggest. You'd never know this from his photos alone because many of them featured high angles and wide shots overlooking skylines from the tops of buildings. But as terrified as he was, he was almost never willing to miss an opportunity so he always made sure to have medication with him to soothe his anxiety if need be. Click. An angelfish just poked its head outside of one of the fake coral structures, taking attention away from the surrounding fish with it's electric blue and yellow stripes. 

There were very few times that Hoseok missed a photo opportunity in his life ever since his parents bought him his first camera back in the early days of high school. He could actually count those times on one hand. When he started taking photography really seriously, he also started saving up for more and better equipment. These days he was never seen without both his DSLR and his modern, white polaroid camera, among other acessories. He had a vintage polaroid at home too but modern ones were so much better weighted for consistent carrying. Focus. Click. A speckled box fish spotted swimming amidst a group of clown fish was now captured in a still image. So, missing an opportunity was never due to not having the equipment on hand. It usually just had to do with poor timing, being a second too late. He was pretty lucky so that was a very rare occurance but it still happened from time to time. Or, in the case of his current muse, it came down to having the chance slip through his fingers when he lost all thought process upon seeing him. 

Normally, when it came to people, he would see them going about their lives and he would go over and kindly ask to photograph them. More often then not they would say yes and all would go well. But when he looked up from taking a picture of his latte at the cafe he was having breakfast at, his eyes locked with the handsome stranger and all thoughts of taking a picture were gone. The only thing he was capable of doing at the time was drinking in the other's appearance. 
Judging by the bags in the stranger's hand, he had just finished purchasing a couple books from the tiny bookstore across the street from where he was sitting. He wondered what kind of stories he liked. Or maybe he was into factual books? No. No, he definitely looked like the romantic type. Hell, he looked like practically belonged in a novel himself with his blond hair parted to the side, obviously not his natural color but pleasant all the same.

He stood tall, not exceptionally so, but definitely taller than Hoseok himself. He guessed somewhere around 6 feet but the long grey coat the male was wearing was making it hard to distinguish. He was also noticeably thin with a somewhat angular face. Strangely enough, no single facial feature stood out more than another like most people Hoseok knew. Quite the opposite actually, it seemed as though all of his features were prominent. Like his nose that was neither pointed upward nor straight out, but rather curved off in a unique way. And his full unsmiling lips that, even from a distance, looked soft. To be honest, Hoseok was happy he didn't get to see the man smile because he had a feeling he would have lost his breath. He didn't have much time to observe the other before he started walking away, assumably back home, but it was enough for Hoseok to blink and take a mental picture.

Hoseok was broken from his reverie by a tap on his shoulder. Hyunwoo suggested they take a lunch break which he happily agreed to and they took off in the direction of a nearby restaurant. They ordered their food and fell into an easy conversation while they waited, Hyunwoo inquiring about some of Hoseok's recent projects.

When their lunch arrived, Hoseok was quick to pull out his camera once more. Click. A new addition to his traveler's log under the food category. They ate in comfortable silence, before paying for their meal and taking their leave. It was beautiful out, warm sun shining down but with a slight breeze so they decided to lounge around in a nearby park. They layed on the grass, Hoseok scrolling through some of the shots he had earlier in the day while Hyunwoo took out his phone to play the same he always played in his spare time.

Hyunwoo's phone vibrated as he recieved two texts from one of his friend, Kihyun. 

2:14 PM: I came across this collection of poems while on my lunch break. The way the person is described in here sounds a lot like Hoseok. Didn't he mention something about seeing someone while he was at a cafe?

Hyunwoo read the text and quirked his brow, because yes, Hoseok had mentioned that. He scrolled down to the second text and saw a highlighted link. Clicking on it, a page was brought up that showed 3 poems of varying lengths and forms.

You don't know me, nor do I know you, but I can however, assure you I'd like to. You looked so at ease with the world with the way you were sitting there. You probably don't realize that and it was probably rude of me to stare. I think you think we looked up at the same time. You finished taking your photo and I walked out of the bookstore, And as if being pulled together like magnets, we locked eyes. Oh, but my dear, you couldn't be more wrong.

I caught a glimpse of you through the dirty window while searching the shelves. But your head was bent over your plate and then my books fell. I wonder if you looked up when I was bent down, while I was collecting my books and heavy heart off the ground. I dusted them off and paid for them on my way out. And when you finally looked up, there was not a shred of doubt. Oh, my dear, your face reads like a song.

Hyunwoo tilted his head slightly, thinking how the first poem was fairly vague so realistically speaking it could be about anyone. 

Beautiful stranger,
I saw you outside my favorite cafe.
Beautiful stranger,
You took my breath away.
Beautiful stranger,
With your light brown hair and simple style.
Beautiful stranger,
I was so entranced that I forgot to smile.
Beautiful stranger,
I noticed you had a camera with you.
Beautiful stranger,
Would you show me your point of view?
Beautiful stranger,
Alll day you've been on my mind.
Beautiful stranger,
The you that I can't seem to find.
Beautiful stranger,
Will I ever see you again?
Beautiful stranger,
If so, can I talk to you then?

Now Hyunwoo was curious as this one actually desribed the person a bit more. Sitting up, his eyes shifted from side to side as he read the last poem. 

Pink and grey
Colours seemingly without any relation
But I can't help but think
They'd make a perfect combination

The broad male made a confused face, not expecting the last one to be so short. He couldn't seem to figure out how it related to the previous two either, but he was never really one to understand poetry, that was definitely more Kihyun's thing. It was apparently a part of the same series so he wasn't going to question it. He did however feel like Hoseok should read them, agreeing with Kihyun that something about these somehow resembled the other.

"Hoseok."

Click. No response.

"Hoseok."

Click. Shake. Hyunwoo could see a robin appearing on the small piece of film and rolled his eyes at Hoseok's one track mind.

"Hoseok!" 

The sudden raised volume of his friend's voice scared away the bird. Hoseok pouted slightly as he turned to Hyunwoo.

"What?" 

"I think you should look at this." Hyunwoo said as he handed the other his phone after scrolling back up to the first poem.

"What is it?" 

"You'll find out."

Barely glancing at the screen, Hoseok whined. "You ruined a perfect moment to show me poetry? I love poetry, I really do. But do you know how hard it is to get pictures of birds without scaring them off or having them fly away right as you click the button?"

"Read. It." 

Hoseok noticed the serious tone in the other's voice and made the decision not to argue. His eyes roamed over the screen at a slow pace. 

Hoseok commented on how the first one was written really prettily and kind of reminded him of the guy from the bookstore.

Hyunwoo's lips curved in the form of a tiny smile. "Keep reading."

"Wait. Holy !" Hoseok voiced in disbelief as he finished reading the second one, noticing just how similar the poems was to that day. His hopes started to skyrocket, thinking he might have just found the person he'd been thinking of for the past few months.

"Mhmm. I personally don't understand the last one but it's still cute." Hyunwoo shrugged, highly amused at his friend's reactions.

When Hoseok read the short poem, he knew exactly why Hyunwoo didn't understand it. It was being Hyunwoo wasn't there to see what they were wearing that day. Hoseok had been wearing a pink sweater underneath his open black leather jacket and the guy was wearing a grey trenchcoat. 

Hoseok stood up in a flurry of motion that almost made Hyunwoo dizzy had he not been expecting it.

"Dude, this is him! This is the beautiful guy from the bookstore! It has to be!" Hoseok shouted.

"Are you sure?" 

"Of course I'm ing sure, man! I've never been so sure in my life!"

Hyunwoo laughed because, indeed, Hoseok sounded incredibly certain. "So, I'm guessing you want to find this guy?" he said with a grin.

"No, I just want to sit here and read the poems that my potential muse is writing while he goes on with his life without me in it." Hoseok commented, sarcasm dripping from his words. "Of course I want to find him man! Is that even a question?"

Hyunwoo found himself once again rolling his eyes at his dramatic friend. They decided they would call Kihyun in a few hours when he was done work and ask for his help. Hoseok readily agreed.

The two men carried on with the remainder of the day's sightseeing before retiring to the hotel they were staying at.

Hyunwoo pulled out his phone as Hoseok threw himself onto the bed in an almost dreamlike state.

"Kihyun? You know those poems you sent me earlier? Yeah, I'm going to need your help with something."

Hyunwoo looked over his shoulder and flashed a quick thumbs up in Hoseok's direction. The shorter male cheered loudly at the possibility of finally meeting the man who had managed to capture his heart with one look. 

He pulled out his phone, smile painfully wide with excitement. Press. And snapped a photo of himself. He uploaded it to his social media with the caption: I think my life is about to change.

 


Chapter 2 complete! I hope you're enjoying it so far! The second poem is a rehashed version of a poem I actually wrote back in August when I made eye contact (multiple times) with a really cute person at Starbucks and I couldn't stop thinking about it for days. Thank you for reading!