Vexed

You're my Muse

Hyungwon was struggling. A lot. He had planned to write a new poem about the nameless man as that's all he had been thinking about since he woke up that morning, but it was now nearing 5pm and here he was still sitting on the living room couch with his laptop blank text document open in front of him. He had typed some lines out earlier only to delete the whole thing. And then do so again 6 more times following that. Mediocre. It seemed as though he had completely exhausted his ability to write, not a single clever word coming to mind. 

Despite his lanky appearance and constant state of fatigue due to mild insomnia, he was rarely ever clumsy. So he knew that today would be difficult the minute he spilled his freshly brewed coffee on his phone that was now sitting on his cluttered coffee table, in a bowl of rice to absorb the liquid. He really hoped it would still work after this because, although he could afford a new phone, he was rather pleased with the one he currently had and he didn't want to have to go out of his way to transfer everything onto a new one. Troublesome is what he thought about having to do that.

Now he sat, squinting at the white page on the screen, the whole thing suddenly too bright and empty for his liking. Than again, it could just be his bias showing, never having been all too fond of white to begin with. He just didn't like it. It always seemed too sanitary and lonely and mentally draining to him. Uncomfortable. That's how white made him feel. He considered for a minute, changing the page colour to a light mint green or a subtle lavender hue, both colours being known to inspire positivity and creativity among people, but decided against it, not willing to risk messing with his long standing routine. 

His stomach growled and he realized that he hadn't eaten anything since breakfast. He took his glasses off, placing them on the table and rubbed harshly at his bleary eyes with a sigh of annoyance. Knowing it wouldn't do his writing any good if he passed out from a lack of sustenance, he rose to his full height and made his way to the small apartment kitchen, dragging his feet along the hardwood floor. He glanced briefly out the window to see the empty nest on the sil. Normally he would catch a glimpse of the robin that the nest belonged to, but not today. Today, it seemed, the chicks had finally learned to fly, leaving the artfully woven home vacant. Melancholy. He would miss the quiet chirping that had become background music to his day to day life. 

Turning away from the window, he opened the fridge and shoved a few condemants aside. Empty. He had opted not to go shopping yestereday because of the heavy rain, assuming he had enough to last him one more day. He knew he shouldn't have assumed. He scoured the cupboards above the counter and found a couple packages of instant noodles and frowned, lines etching themselves onto his face. He had already had a rough morning and he didn't feel like ingesting anything that wasn't very nutritional on top of that, so he made his way to the front door. He jammed his feet into a pair of tan loafers and slipped a baby blue, knee length trench coat over his floral sweater. Fixing his collar in the mirror, he grabbed his keys from the ceramic bowl sitting on the tiny table below it and left his apartment. 

He made his way down the front steps of the building, careful to avoid the puddles, with only one word on his mind. Vexed

When Hyungwon was on his way home from the store 30 minutes later, grocery bags in hand, his mind was no less clouded then when he left but he was no longer as frustrated. He had gotten a text from his friend Minhyuk while he was checking out, asking if he could come over tonight, to which he agreed, so he was beginning to let the stress of the morning roll off his shoulders. He figured some days were easier then others and he could always try again tomorrow.

He arrived to his apartment to find Minhyuk already waiting for him on the front steps. He was tapping his foot to the beat of whatever song was flowing through his headphones when he noticed the shadow suddenly appear above him, blocking what little sun was trying to peak through the clouds. 

"Yellow." Hyungwon said in greeting. 

Minhyuk smiled brightly, fully aware of what his tall friend was referring to. Yellow was the color Hyungwon associated with him since the first day they met. Hyungwon had been in the middle of writing an essay in college when Minhyuk had entered the classroom, a new student at the time. He heard hushed whispers and giggles wash over the room of high school student and looked up to see what the source of the sudden atmosphere change was. When he did figure it out he was almost overwhelmed by the aura surrounding the blonde male.

Bright. Optimistic. Pure energy. All words that he used to describe Minhyuk at the time.

Hyungwon smiled back at his friend. Not much has changed since then. 

Minhyuk stood up and offered to carry the bags for Hyungwon as they made their way to his apartment door. It was a small building, only two floors and Hyungwon was on the lower one which meant they only had to walk down a short hallway before they reached it, so carrying his bags wasn't entirely necessary. However, the locks in a lot of the smaller building in this area were known to stick and Minhyuk knew that it took both hands to jostle the doorknob into submission. And as luck would have it, Hyungwon needed to do just that today. Typical. 

A long sigh fell from Hyungwon's full lips when he finally manged to get the lock to work and reached to grab the bags back from Minhyuk. He pushed the door open, dropped his keys in the bowl where they belonged and kicked his shoes off before heading to the kitchen. Minhyuk slipped out of his shoes and dropped himself onto his friend's couch. Graceless.

"Whatcha workin' on this time?" he asked from his seat.

"Another poem for the series." came the response from where Hyungwon was putting away groceries.

Minhyuk tilted his head, brows coming together in confusion. "But...it's blank?"

Hyungwon closed the cupboard, hands landing on the counter as his head fell forward. "I know."

Knowing Hyungwon hasn't had a serious writer's block since he started writing about this guy months ago, Minhyuk was by his side within seconds. He wrapped his arm around Hyungwon's shoulder and looked at him with questioning eyes.

"I don't understand it man." Hyungwon said turning around and leaning against the counter, arms crossed in front of his chest. "I've never had trouble writing about him. Just this morning I woke up with a dozen ideas in my head but as soon as I sat in front of the computer, they were just gone. Vanished. Into thin air. How does that even happen? No matter how hard I tried to remember them I couldn't and when I thought I finally did recover some of the basic ideas of what I wanted to write, I couldn't find any words to adequately describe them." Hyungwon slouched as he finished explaining his troubles from this morning.

"It's kind of odd how you're having trouble writing about him but yet you can still pull words like vanished and adequately out of your ." Minhyuk commented.

"I know!" Hyungwon shouted, throwing his hands into the air. Exasperated.

Minhyuk pondered for a second before suggesting, "Maybe you should meet him. But like actually meet him this time, like, sit down and talk kind of thing." 

Hyungwon gave the shorter male a deadpan look.

"I'm serious!" Minhyuk defended. "Maybe if you actually meet him your inspiration will come back ten-fold. You've probably imagined up everything you can about him and now the only thing that will help is writing about what he's really like. And who knows, maybe he might even ask you out, I know I would, except you're not my type." He threw in a playful wink, trying to draw a laugh out of his tall friend.

"You don't have a type. You'd date anything with legs." Hyungwon smirked.

"Hey! I take offense to that." 

Hyungwon laughed at blonde's antics that never failed to raise the moods of those around him.

"But honestly though, you know that's almost impossible to make happen. I don't even know the guy's name for godsake. Even if I wrote down every detail of what he looked like that I remember from the 10 seconds that we looked at each other, it still wouldn't be enough to find him." 

Minhyuk pouted knowing the other was right as they migrated back to the living room, Hyungwon quick to return to his earlier task. Persistant. Minhyuk sat beside him as he tried to think of some way to help his friend. It wasn't long before he was struck with an idea. It might not solve the overall problem at hand, but it might refresh Hyungwon's mind enough to write something. Anything. Even if it wasn't directly linked to the nameless male. 

Hyungwon had a giant love of photgraphy. Oh, no. Hyungwon never took photos himself. He was far better at creating beautiful images then he was at capturing them. He tried once, back in high school. It didn't work out well. Upsetting was the word attached to that memory. Hyungwon would get so frsutrated that nothing he photographed ever looked as good as the real thing and eventually he would give up. There had been a few times where he almost threw the camera he was using across the room. He never did though. Being the rational guy that he was, he knew his lack of photography skills were not worth paying hundreds of dollars to replace a quality camera. So he would instead just hand it over to a classmate that knew what they were doing and retreat to his desk to do what he knew he was good at, writing. 

However, that didn't change the fact that whenever Hyungwon needed inspiration he would find himself buried in mountains of physical and online copies of photographs. He always admired the way different angles could completely alter the feeling of certain subjects. Perspective. Or how specific colours somehow managed to evoke such raw emotions in him. Shades of blue that reminded him of days at the beach. Warm oranges that ignited a passion within him, burning hot enough to easily complete with the heat of a forest fire.

Of course, this was basic knowledge to Minhyuk and being the type of person and friend that he was, he wanted to do his best to help Hyungwon out of him slump. So, he gently took the laptop from Hyungwon, who gave an indignant cry, before realizing what Minhyuk was doing and growing silent once more, and began searching the internet for something of value. 

Hyungwon busied himself with making dinner, well aware that he wouldn't be getting his laptop back until Minhyuk was certain he had found something worthy of showing him. He smiled softly to himself, silently grateful that he had become friends with the other. Sunshine is what he brought to people's lives, always eager to aid those in need.

Dinner was just about done when Minhyuk practically slid into the kitchen, seemingly over the moon with joy. 

"I found something! And it's toally your style, almost freakishly so! I swear every picture in this series reminds me of you in some way and I don't even know why. It's crazy!"

Hyungwon took one look at Minhyuk's excited state and bursted out laughing as he turned off the stove and made a signal for the other to show him what he was talking about.

Minhyuk placed the laptop of the counter in front of them, tilting the screen for better viewing and proceeded to show Hyungwon a series of photographs.

"I see him in everything?" Hyungwon read, voice raising slightly at the end in question.

"That's the title." 

"I know. How...cute." He said with a small curve of his lip.

Minhyuk arched a brow. "Really? The master of words and you picked cute?" he asked unbelievingly.

"Hey! I'm having an off day, cut me some slack." He said with a smack to the other's arm.

Minhyuk raised his hand in defeat.

"But seriously, look at these, they're incredible. Like, I don't know who this guy is but he's really good at what he does." Minhyuk commented.

Hyungwon slowly scrolled through the photgraphs, taking the time to admire each one individually and finding himself being rendered speechless the more he looked. The series was full of images of expensive clothes in shades of grey and navy blue. There were photos with filters to make it look faded and old, these ones seemed to have an arcitectural theme to them, buildings from places that Hyungwon recognized as European countries. Well traveled. Sunsets melting in the background of some pictures, producing a romantic feeling. There were a lot of those. Deserted beaches where the early morning sun reflected of the green tinted water. Stunning. Pastel pinks and macro images of simple everyday objects, clearly meant to highlight the texture and varying degree of colors you don't normally take notice of. Something Hyungwon did take a big notice however, was that most of the photos of places were of ones he often frequented like coffee shops and record stores, as well as other places in his town. Fascinating

He continued through until the end of the series, commenting on the photos that stood out to him the most. He noticed the date that the series was started and was surprised to see that it was very close in relation to when he started writing about the man who was the root of his current predicament.

He nudged Minhyuk and pointed it out, "Look."

Minhyuk's eyes and mouth widened, making him look like something akin to a fish out of water. They looked at each other and as if reading each other's minds, spoke in unison. 

"Weird."

They laughed to themselves before grabbing their plates and once again went to the living room, putting the laptop aside while they ate, dinner having already started to get cold.

When they finished eating and the dishes were cleaned Minhyuk asked how Hyungwon was feeling with a hopeful look.
Hyungwon looked back at his friend and smiled widely. "Inspired."

Minhyuk gave a loud cheer that left Hyungwon rubbing at his ear, and excitedly handed Hyungwon his laptop and watched as the tall male started typing with renewed energy. The words were finally starting to flow easily again and Hyungwon was more than pleased to finally be able to update his own series after such a taxing day. Elated. That's what he was feeling as he spent the next hour writing, what he considered, one of his greater poems.

Minhyuk left shortly after, giving Hyungwon a congratulatory cheer for getting past the mental block. Hyungwon brushed it off, giving Minhyuk all the credit. They said their goodbyes and Hyungwon went to his bedroom, laptop in hand. He laid on his side on the bed, laptop sitting open on the comforter beside his head, the photographs still displayed on the screen. He scrolled through them again, this time taking notice of the small captions that some of them had. He concluded that the guy wasn't the best with words. He wasn't bad by any means, just...bordering on cliche and cheesy, but Hyungwon won't deny that he was a er for that at times. It seemed whoever this photo series was about, the guy who created it was well and surely enamored with. 

And yet, there were no pictures of the actual person, not even a hand holding a cup or the retreating back of them as they walk ahead of him. It practically forced you to get to know the person based purely on things that the photographer associates them with and not what they actually look like. Refreshing, was the word that carried him to sleep that night.
 

 

 


Okay, so originally I was planning on making this one giant oneshot but then I realized I would be bouncing back and forth between Hyungwon and Hoseok's povs and I don't really liking doing that if I don't have to so for the sake of readability, this will probably be uploaded in 3 chapters. The first being Hyungwon's pov, the second, focused on Hoseok and then the final one focused on both of them together. Anyway, thank you for reading!