- ; At last

Bright Smiles and Stormy Nights
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was only seven in the evening but the sky looked as though it was almost midnight. Judging from the weather reports from the morning news that Jungkook considered watching, there should be some storm rocking up some time soon, which wasn’t a good timing at all.

“Hey,” Jungkook’s roommate, Seokjin knocked on the door of his bedroom where Jungkook was currently in.

The younger out of the two twirled on the balls of his feet to face his friend who looked honestly handsome in his button up wine red button up clothes, dark dress pants and shiny leather shoes. His dyed chestnut blonde hair was gelled up and swiped to the side of his head.

“Is it time to go?”                                                                

Seokjin nodded and took in the younger’s outfit of the night, only to have a frown on his face. Jungkook saw his facial expressions and chortled softly. He knows that the event they were heading towards was a semi-formal party but he was in a simple white shirt with a washed out denim jacket, jeans and a pair of shoes that he first saw lying around.

He thought he’d spice up his varieties of hairstyles and even curled the parts of his hair. Even though it was something new which he liked doing, Jungkook thought he presented much of a poodle than intentioned.

“It’s my sister’s eighteenth birthday party and you’re wearing that?”

Jungkook shrugged a shoulder and switched off his bedroom lights and head down to the living room where he kept his wallet with Seokjin trailing behind.

“Well it’s not like it’s her wedding day or anything.” Jungkook responded with a cheeky grin on his face that Seokjin could only roll his eyes at.

 The elder checked if the windows were all closed and locked before the two of them went downstairs to the parking lot of the apartment complex they lived in and drove to where Seokjin’s sister was having her birthday bash in.

 

Hoseok, Jungkook’s beloved friend was already there when they came. The latter immediately jumped towards the younger the moment he strolled inside. Jungkook could only let him be since it has been around eight months that they last saw each other anyway.

“Alright you two, the guests are coming soon so we’ll need to hurry and make the place look pretty.” Hoseok’s older sister separated the two and gave them the decorations they needed to hang on the walls of the large building.

Jungkook was stuck with blowing up the blue and white balloon and set them up where Hoseok’s sister told him to, while Hoseok and Seokjin were moving the extra tables and chairs which was soon delivered in.

It was lucky that the party actually started at eleven at night or else the guest would be coming into a bare, undecorated and cluttered venue. It took a lot longer to set up than expected. Jungkook slightly blamed his roommate for taking too long into getting ready, because if they arrived sooner, Jungkook wouldn’t have to worry about hurrying up.

 

The birthday had officially started and Seokjin’s sister came with her friends looking stunning in the mix of blue and white which was the set colour theme that the party was going for.

The caterers were busy giving out food, the sound system group was already getting involved and even producing some fancy lighting along with electronica music to provide in the dance floor. Seeing how everyone was having a good time partying, Jungkook simply sat back and relaxed.

He was supposed to look out and help those that are in need since he was practically part of the family after knowing Seokjin’s family for so long, and the family members were basically hosting the whole event. However, the teenager decided that he’d leave Seokjin to also do his job, besides; the older was slacking off at the very start in terms of setting up anyway.

 

Jungkook closed his eyes as he settled comfortably on his seat, feeling sleepy due to lack to sleep the night before. He groaned at the blasting music and started to wonder why this party was supposed to be semi-formal when it was basically a disco.

He was glad that he picked a basic outfit rather than the set of suit he was optioning to wear. It was too heavy and stuffy so he placed it back. Jungkook silently praised himself in his mind.

The young male’s thoughts were interrupted when someone’s foot got caught on his legs that he had sticking out. He immediately sat up and cased a worried gaze down on the ground to see a figure struggling to get up on their own.

“Oh god, sorry.” Jungkook helped the person up. He couldn’t see them in the dim lighting.

The guests decided to let the lights set to low and the lack of moonlight outside wasn’t intensifying enough to provide much illumination to percolate through. 

The person was a male judging from their hands, their voice when they laughed and when they assured Jungkook that they were okay. Jungkook finally got to see the person’s face when they straightened up and stood properly while facing one another.

Jungkook smiled a little already recognising who it was, but of course, the other must not know him. Jungkook felt heat started to grow on his cheeks when he realised he was still holding onto the other’s hands. The other male however, didn’t seem to notice and Jungkook decided that he’ll let the male’s hand go when he notices.

“It’s not your problem really. I wasn’t looking and it’s pretty dark here.” The male before him gazed up and pulled a face at the absence of luminosity of the area.

“Thanks for helping me up by the way.”

“It’s no problem. You’re fine right?”

Jungkook saw the other’s head bob up and down before it seemed like his attention was on their inter-locking hands. The former immediately snatched his hand away from Jungkook’s and the latter had to pretend that he didn’t noticed it earlier.

Jungkook’s hands suddenly felt empty.

The male before him cleared his throat and stuffed his hands into his pocket. “Sorry, and uh, I’ll go now.”

Jungkook nodded and gave the other a tight smile. He watched as he walked away and towards his friends that he came with. Jungkook knew them too, just like how he knew the male that he was recently talking to.

 

“Hey…” Hoseok came from behind Jungkook and pointed at the boy that just left, “wasn’t that Jimin?”

Jungkook nodded yet once again and then turned away to grab himself a drink.

 

As he sipped his drink which was incredibly sour and bitter at the same time, Jungkook watched Jimin from the other side of the building. Jimin didn’t change at all, even if it has been two years that he has seen them. His voice was still the same; shy, soft and so calming to listen to. Jungkook couldn’t believe that he didn’t recognise it the moment he heard it.

Jimin eyes still twinkle brightly, making a massive contrast between the dark room. His mouth still curved into a tiny smile every time he talked which was what Jungkook loved especially about Jimin. He was always so easy to talk to because he just gave so much positive vibes that was so loveable.

Jungkook can’t believe that he let Jimin go without even getting a chance to introduce himself two years ago and he couldn’t believe that he did the same mistake by not taking the chance to talk to Jimin just then.

Jungkook has been eyeing on brunette for the longest time and every time they would be in the same room, Jungkook’s mind would just shut down and he would stay quiet and let his opportunity fly by.

 

Jimin and Jungkook went to the same school and Jimin graduated two years ago. Jungkook only graduating this year. Jungkook and Jimin had met a couple of times due to having the same mutual friends and links but not once had Jungkook talked to Jimin properly.

Since he couldn’t do it when he was a scrawny, immature sixteen years old, maybe his more confident eighteen years old self would make a move soon.

 

“Hey kiddo mind doing something for me?” Hoseok’s sister approached him with a camera in her hand. Jungkook already knew what she would want him to do so he placed his glass down and extended his hand out to gain the camera to his possession.

“You’re such a good kid,” she crinkled her nose teasingly while patting down his cute tiny coal-shaded curls. Jungkook waved her off, accepting her words cockily while twisting some words around about how amazing and extravagant he is of a person and Hoseok’s sister left him while rolling her eyes at his chosen words to describe himself.

 

Jungkook had always loved taking pictures so he would immediately take any opportunity given to him to snap some moments and turn them into beautiful memories that could be cherished for a long time. Since almost most of the guests were happy and dancing, Jungkook wouldn’t have a lot of trouble getting some smiley and light-hearted pictures into the camera.

He walked around and would stop somewhere just to snap some photos. He would even ask people to huddle into a group photo or take the request of getting other people’s pictures taken.

It warmed his heart knowing and seeing people have a great time. Even if it wasn’t his party, he was still part of the happiness that was oozing out of everyone even if it was basically nearly two thirty in the morning.

 

Outside, were sets of thunders and flashes of lightning happening and Jungkook didn’t even realised how stormy it was until he walked by a large window that faced the open background where it was blindingly dark.

After a couple of seconds later, Jimin came out from the right and gushed over the lightning that came in a row. His features looked so gentle and soft with the dull lighting illuminating the side of his face, in Jungkook’s eyes, he looked truly magical.

Jimin was wearing jeans and black shirt underneath a black bomber with the sleeves rolled up two-quarters of his arms. Jungkook wondered how someone could pull off such simple outfit and make it astounding.

 Jimin surely knows how to look dapper without trying or moving even a pinky.

As though his hands had a mind of their own, Jungkook suddenly took a photo of Jimin. Since the flash was on, Jimin found out and immediately snapped his head to face the frozen Jungkook who was caught in the act. The older gaped in confusion and Jungkook didn’t know what to say. He blinked thrice before thinking that running away was the best option, so that was what he did.

 

The boy with small curls reported what just happened to Hoseok, who obviously knew his little crush on Jimin. Hoseok only laughed and made fun of Jungkook, calling him a chicken for running away from the scene.

It wasn’t helpful at all so Jungkook chucked some profanity at Hoseok who chased him while telling Jungkook off for his lack of respect towards him. Hoseok was three years older anyway.

 

Without watching where he was going, Jungkook continued his little chase between him and Hoseok. Within moments, he was caught in a headlock. His strands of hair was pulled and knuckled down by older without any hesitation. 

He lifted his head up when he heard a bundle of hilarity coming from in front of them. It was Jimin who was chortling to himself, with his best buddy Taehyung aside of him. Jungkook felt humiliation fill his stomach up uneasily and shove Hoseok away.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter