5. Smoke

Pieces

A/N : Yes, I know it has been a while since I updated this story. I have been very busy and couldn't get myself to work on this story more. But it has been a year since the accident that took my best friend away from me and I think I owe it to her to at least try and move on and finish this story.
Updates might still be slow but I'll try. Thanks to everyone who is still with me, even after all this time. I love you all.

---

Jeonghan yawned as he walked up to the gate, early saturday morning.
Most of his friends had already gone home on Friday. Seungkwan and Jihye because it was their parents hosting the party, Joshua because he had friends coming over from America and Jihoon had just left without a word.

The Hansol kid, that seemed to hang out alot with Seungkwan had left with Joshua, much to the surprise of Seungcheol and his friends.

Turns out he knew the youngest of the family that had come over to visit Joshua’s family.

 

How he knew? Since the detention on the first day after summer break, their groups of friends seemed to spend more time with the people they met there.

 

Well. Just the people with the 17 mark. The others seemed to have friends of their own, but he suspected he would see a few of them at the party tonight.

In the end, it turned out that detention, and the marks were not the only thing they shared. Apparently, Hansol was pretty close knit with Seungcheol and his friends before he met Seungkwan, and now they alternated between the groups, much like Chan and Jihye did.

 

It puzzled him how the groups didn’t get mixed up sooner.


 

A black mercedes pulled up in front of him, a honk breaking him from his thoughts.

“Hey there dreamer, need a ride?”

 

Jeonghan looked inside the car, to find his sister smiling at him from the passenger seat.

He frowned. It was not like her to sit in the passenger seat. She either drove the car, or would sit in the backseat when the car had a driver.

 

A sudden hand on his shoulder made him jump up, causing his sister to burst out in laughter. Low chuckling rumbled next to his ear. Looking to his left, he saw Seungcheol leaning over as the chuckling transitioned into full blown laughter. He still had his hand on Jeonghans shoulder for support. The pressure had him leaning to his left a little, but he managed to keep standing.

 

He patiently waited until Seungcheols fit of laughter subsided, ready to say his goodbyes, when the boy let go of his shoulder and walked straight towards the car.

Jeonghan stood, watching in confusion as the older boy slipped into the back, his dark hair being the last thing to disappear from sight.

 

“Jeonghanniee, you coming?” His sister asked expectantly.

Seungcheol had left the door open, and Jeonghan climbed onto the back seat as well, sitting down in the spot behind his sister.

He closed the door behind him, and the faint smell of cigarettes wafted towards him.

Fastening his seatbelt, he looked over to the drivers side.

 

He knew his sister and Seungcheol didn’t smoke, so it had to be the stylish man behind the wheel.

The two of them also seemed rather comfortable with the man, leaving Jeonghan even more confused than he originally was.

 

The car took off and he shot a confused look at Seungcheol, who in return, gave him an equally confused look.

 

“How do you know my sister?” Jeonghan asked. At the same time Seungcheol asked “How do you know my brother?” The questions were perfectly in sync.

 

“I don't, I thought you knew her!” Jeonghan answered at the same time Seungcheol answered “I don't, I thought you knew him!”

Their replies were again perfectly in sync, causing the two people in the front seats to laugh.

 

“ So, what is your sister doing in my brothers car?”

Seungcheol asked Jeonghan, who shrugged in response.

“I don't know, you should ask her.”

 

Seungcheol turned to the front of the car, facing Jeonghans sister. She already looked his way, sending him a bright smile. It made him wonder how the two were related. At first sight, the two seemed nothing alike.

 

“I was actually on my way to pick up Jeonghan when my car broke down. Luckily, your brother happened to pass by and he waited with me while we waited for the tow company to take the car to the garage.

I was just about to call a taxi, but he asked where I was going. So I told him I was headed to Hallyu academy to pick up my little brother, and he offered me a ride because he was headed here for the same reason.”

 

It was silent for a while as the engine purred smoothly. Jeonghan took the time to study the man behind the wheel for a bit.

As he glanced at Seungcheol, he could clearly tell the two were brothers. Despite the fact that Seungcheol had dark hair and his brother bleached white hair, the resemblance was still striking.

And if he were to be honest, it made him feel a bit jealous.

 

People often weren’t able to tell Jeonghan and his sister were family. Sometimes, when they smiled. That was about it.

It was still weird that people were actually shocked to hear the two were family. It's not like they could help that his sister looked like their father, while he very much resembled their mother.

 

“Have you been invited to the Boo family dinner party as well?”

 

The deep, rumbling voice from the man behind the wheel pulled him from his thoughts. He had not expected such a deep voice on him.

He did not know what he did expect, but it certainly wasn't this.

 

In the time that Jeonghan kept silent, his sister had already answered and was now babbling away about who knows what. He just tuned her out as he slumped in his seat, yawning.

Seungcheol sent him a confused look.

 

“How can you be tired? We got to sleep in!”

 

Jeonghan stifled another yawn.

“Maybe you did, but Yejin, Chanhee and Taekwoon kept me up till late at night. And then Mingyu dragged me out of bed at 7:30 to play basketball. Apparently he needed an ace to beat Jooheon and his friends.”

 

Jeonghan turned a bit towards Seungcheol, looking at him with sleepy eyes.

“Why didn’t they ask you?”

 

Seungcheol shot a nervous glance in the direction of his brother, before turning back to Jeonghan.

“You remember that fight I got in?”

 

Jeonghan nodded. How could he forget that fight? It was the first day after summer break. He had gotten detention for giving the teacher attitude. Seungcheol for fighting on school grounds. The fight was one of the reasons they'd met.

 

Seungcheol continued. ”I actually tried to protect my friends at first. So it was 4 against one. I got beaten up pretty bad, that’s when the rest stepped in. More people from both sides.
I, however got the worst of it. My ribs are still healing. The nurse said they're bruised, but okay otherwise, i just have to keep my rest for now.”

 

Jeonghan now faced Seungcheol with new found admiration. During detention he had passed it off as nothing special, but it seemed like he really tried to take care of his friends.

 

“So that’s why you needed another player. But why me?”

Leaning his head to the side, Jeonghan found himself in a rather comfortable position.

 

Seungcheol shrugged. “Seungkwan told us you were pretty good. I guess that’s why. Did you win?”

 

Jeonghan murmured something inaudible, eyes closed. Seungcheol didn't ask again, knowing that the long haired male was close to falling asleep. And he didn't plan on disturbing the younger when he was looking so peaceful. So instead, he mimicked Jeonghans position, falling asleep soon after.

Their siblings exchanged smiles as they continued the journey home.

 

---

 

Jeonghan woke to Seungcheol softly poking his shoulder. He lazily tried to swat away the hand, and temporarily succeeded, before he was poked again.

 

“Go find someone else for your team, I am tired!” Jeonghan refused to open his eyes as he tried to get Seungcheol to stop poking him.

 

“Jeonghan?”

 

“What?”

 

“We’ve arrived at your house.”

 

He kept silent for a bit, trying to get his sleepy brain to remember what had happened prior to falling asleep.

“Oh.”

 

Unfastening his seatbelt, he waved his goodbyes at Seungcheol before leaving the car, gathering his luggage from the trunk.

 

Seungcheol’s brother rolled down the window, leaning out of it, an unlit sigarette dangling from his lips. No matter what he did, it looked cool to Jeonghan. Even if it was being a bad example. He started wondering what his name was. He never caught it because he wasn’t paying attention.

 

“Should I pick you up for tonight? Since your car broke down…”

 

His sister smiled. “That’d be lovely.”

 

“Actually hyung, is it alright if I hang out with Jeonghan for the day? I have my tux with me anyway..”

Seungcheol leaned out of the window as well, looking to the side.

 

“At least, if that’s okay with Jeonghan?” he added.

 

Jeonghan looked at his sister. It was her house after all, even though he practically lived there too during the holidays. It beat living with his dad and his new wife. The only reason he stayed at his dads house during summer break was because his sister was overseas for business, having swapped houses with a business partner for the same duration of time.

 

Seungcheols brother stepped out of the car, lighting his cigarette as he leaned back against the hood.

“What do you think, Mi Rae?”

 

Jeonghans sister smiled. “Fine by me. You can take him back home after the party right, Seunghyun?”

 

Seunghyun. So that was his name. Even his name sounded cool.

No wonder Seungcheol seemed to look up to him.

 

The tall man seemed to be in thought for a little bit before nodding.

 

“You sure you don’t want to stay the night?” Jeonghans sister suddenly asked, catching the two boys off guard.

 

“Euh, euhm, no thanks, maybe another time. I’m sure Jeonghan already has plans…”

Seungcheol was quick to answer, giving Jeonghan a meaningful look. Obviously, everyone apparently already knew about his date with Jihoon tomorrow.

 

“That’s fine, just let me know, okay?”

Mi Rae smiled brightly at Seungcheol, who shyly returned the smile.

 

Seunghyun retrieved an ashtray from his car, killing the cigarette before dropping the in, putting it back in his car. It earned him an appreciative smile from Mi Rae.

Seungcheol got his tuxedo from the trunk, carefully draping it over his arm before closing the trunk.

Within seconds, one of Mi Rae’s servants was at his side, gently taking the tuxedo from him, while another one tended to Jeonghans luggage.

 

Jeonghans sister just clacked her tongue at how late they were, earning her apologetic glances from the staff as they carried the luggage towards the mansion.

 

Seunghyun got back in his car, leaning out the window again.

 

“i’ll see you tonight then.”

 

Seungcheol smiled brightly at his brother. “Bye!”

 

They all stepped back as the engine purred to life, the car smoothly rolling down the driveway. Seungcheol and Mi Rae waved the car goodbye, Jeonghan joining in a little later.

With a honk of the horn, the car drove around a curve, disappearing from sight.

 

“Well, who wants drinks~?”

 

Mi Rae clasped her hands together in delight as she practically floated back to the house, her step light and airy as she went back inside.

The boys looked at each other, shrugging as they followed her in.

 

---

 

The Boo mansion was impressive, to say the least. It was big, and spacious. It had a lot of windows as well. Jeonghan felt sorry for the people in charge of cleaning the windows every time he visited.

Which was a lot.

 

Exotic art was strategically placed all throughout the house, most of it from other asian countries.

Dinner parties at the Boo mansion were always a big deal. All socialités who were someone, had these parties on their bucket list.

 

Seungcheol trailed behind Jeonghan as he weaved a way through the people gathered in the mansion. He seemed awfully skilled in doing this, clearly familiar with the house as he found his destination with ease.

 

Seungkwan and Jihye seemed to brighten up considerably when spotting them. Seungcheol was just about to walk up to them when he was gently pushed aside by Hansol and Soonyoung. They weren’t with them, which made Seungcheol wonder if they had followed them.

 

Jeonghan lightly hugged Jihye, who looked surprisingly sophisticated in her black velvet dress. A sparkling studded choker hinted at her normal every day style, but the piece was a classy accessory with this outfit. Her silver hair was an intricate updo with a lot of braids and curls, and Jeonghan knew he was gonna hear complaints about tangled hair for days.

Seungkwan looked equally dashing, in a suit that was of course, fitted to perfection by the family tailor. He looked slimmer, taller, and somehow more muscular. The deep, burgundy red color complemented both his hair and eyes.

 

Seungkwan critically gave his friends a once over, as if checking if his tailor had done a good job. Of course he had done a good job.

Seungcheol looked more handsome than ever, in his sleek black suit. Vernons eyes seemed to have gathered extra sparkle as he smoothed out his dark grey suit.

Sooyoung's light blue suit stood out, but he somehow managed to pull it off as it matched his blonde and blue hair.

 

Suddenly, Seungkwan let out a squeal of delight, just as someone poked Jeonghans side.

He turned his head, only to be met with pink hair in his face.

Jihoon seemed to be doing this to him a lot nowadays.

 

It was then that he noticed the suit.

 

“Seungkwan?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Did you have Jihoon and me match suits on purpose?”

 

“...maybe”

 

Jihoon looked at Jeonghan. “You do look very handsome though…”

 

Jeonghan looked at Jihoon in surprise. This was not how Jihoon usually was. Compliments were rare from the smaller male, especially on nights like these, when there were a lot of people around.

The other boys stared in shock too, before quickly complimenting them both on their midnight blue suits.

 

Then distraction came in the form of Jun and Minghao. Both looked stunning in their chinese style jackets. Delicate patterns were embroidered in the silk with golden threads and the material shimmered subtly in the light whenever they moved.

 

Yejin, Chan and Chanhee stared at their suits in silence as they joined their little group.

Yejin was wearing a flowy, emerald green dress that very much complimented her eyes. There were sparkling elements subtly woven in, giving the illusion the dress was glowing.

 

Chanhee wore a purple dress, with a pearly shine on it, which made the dress a stark reminder to a peacock. But if you’d ask her, she would say the dress was rainbow, justs like her hair.

 

Chan looked playful in his purple suit, the color a match to his sister's dress.

It had Jeonghan wondering if Seungkwan and Jihye didn’t secretly plan on this. But the smug look on their faces said enough. They definitely had a conspiracy going on.

 

When Namjoon walked by in an emerald green suit, he knew for sure.

The other day Taekwoon had entrusted to him that he and Jihye were trying to set Yejin and Namjoon up.

 

He just watched as Jihye called Namjoon over, who casually sauntered over as 2 of his friends trailed behind him.

His attempt to look cool failed horribly however, when he tripped over his own feet. The friends just barely managed not to get taken down as well by his flailing arms.

Yejin rushed over to help him. Jihye just sent him a wink as she excused herself to get him some ice.

Taekwoon busied Chanhee while the rest diverted their attention to the rest of the gang arriving as well.

 

Jeonghan was surprised at how casual they made it all look.

 

Mingyu and Wonwoo of course wore matching black suits, even having matched their blue bowties. Seokmin also wore black.

Joshua looked dashing in his grey suit, having accentuated his cat-like eyes even more with make up.

 

Yejin was properly blushing by now, in the corner still trying to take care of Namjoon. His friends had disappeared, probably looking for the rest of their friends.

He could just spot Taekwoons back as he was headed for the garden, Chanhee by his side.

Jihye returned empty handed, just a devious smirk on her face as she hugged the 4 boys that had just arrived before darting off to who knows where.

 

“What time tomorrow?”

Jihoons voice interrupted his thoughts and he looked at the smaller male next to him.

 

“What?”

 

“The date. What time?”

 

Jeonghan thought for a bit. It was true they hadn’t set a time for the date yet and it was tomorrow.

 

“How about I pick you up for lunch?”

 

“Ok.”

---

 

Lee Jihoon Woozi
Hong Jisoo Joshua
Choi Seungcheol S.Coups
Lee Seokmin DK
Kwon Soonyoung Hoshi
Wen Junhui Jun
Xu Minghao The8
Lee Chan Dino
Jung Taekwoon (VIXX) Leo
Kim Namjoon (BTS) Rapmonster
Choi Seunghyun  T.O.P
Choi Yejin OC
Lee Chanhee
OC
Boo Jihye
OC