Warmth

Warmth
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The tiny café huddled despondent among the huge city buildings. Washed out under the overcast sky, it hunched in itself, fighting against the drizzle. Hundreds of people rushed by it, outside on the crowded street. The half a dozen customers glanced up as the door swung open, flogged by a blast of cold wind. Unlike the outside, the interior of the café was warm and cheery, with bright lights and colourful walls. The customers returned to their conversations as the door swung closed behind the new entrant and the cold breeze was forgotten.

It was 1am and it is the weekend. Seulgi headed to the counter and ordered her favourite Café Mocha and Raspberry Hot Chocolate before plopping down on one of the empty, square table at the end. It seems like she is the only person alone at the moment. All around were either a group of friends, couples or foreigners and here she is, all alone – but not for long.

The music speaker in the café puts on her favourite track from Honne and Seulgi feel such at ease as she stare outside the fogging window, seeing headlights from the street passing by time to time. Another jingle is heard and some heads turn, a smile forming at the end of Seulgi’s lips when the person she had been waiting makes her way towards her.

“Have you waited long?” Irene’s brown eyes shone brightly, giving warmth throughout the cold night.

“Hmm, maybe for an hour?” Seulgi joke and the girl’s doe eyes widen in surprise but narrows as a small laugh escapes from Seulgi.

“Ha ha very funny,” Irene pretended to sulk as she reach out her hand to pinch Seulgi’s arm, which earns a small ouch.

Irene’s sulking did not went far when one of the waitress brought the drinks that Seulgi had ordered and Irene’s eyes immediately sparkle when she saw her favourite Raspberry Hot Choc on the table. Like a child, she took a small sip and shut her eyes relishing the sweet taste and all Seulgi could do is just stare at the cute sight.

“Stop staring, start drinking.” Irene lightly slaps her hand, not missing the blush blossoming on her cheeks. Seulgi grins before drinking her own mocha, the sweet and bitterness on her taste buds such a delight, giving warmth through her body.

“You’re such a baby,” Irene uttered as she took out a tissue from her bag before dabbing it at the upper of Seulgi’s lips. “You’re 23, act like one.”

“And you’re 26 but you look like 5,” Seulgi retorts back only to have her cheeks squash between Irene’s palm and her laughter erupted earning a few looks from the nearby table.

“You’re making us gaining unwanted attention.” Seulgi whines as she rubs her cheeks, before continuing drinking her café mocha.

“But you got my attention.” Irene whispers cheekily, before she too sips her drink, while Seulgi’s cheeks redden.

 

“So did you or did you not had fun at the party earlier?” Seulgi asked as the both of them held hands walking around the streets, under the lamp post.

“Not really,” Irene pouts while her hand tightens around Seulgi’s own. “It was a business party. What’s so fun about that? Besides, you weren’t there so, nope.”

Seulgi grins at her girlfriend’s answer, “Did that dude—what’s his name again, Sogum? Boreum? Bo—“

“—Bogum.” Irene interjects with much dislike.

“Ah, Bogum, yes. Did he make a move on you again?” Seulgi asked, knowing that bothersome chap who doesn’t know the definition of ‘not into guys’.

“He tried to send me back home, but I quickly bailed and grab a taxi.” Irene answered in annoyance. “We should really meet him one day and tell him straight to his face that we are gay and we are dating, Seul.”

“Hmm, one day… perhaps.” Seulgi ponders for a second but she felt warmth shedding when Irene unclasp their hands and gave her the look. Seulgi knew that look too much. Seulgi always gets them if she ever slips up something Irene doesn’t like to hear.

“I don’t know why you still want us to be known as ‘just friends’ between my work colleagues.” Irene

Please log in to read the full chapter