03.

Part of The List

He found himself going to the psychiatric ward once again, the afternoon after a laparotomy. The OR was at the second floor, and going down the emergency stairs he could easily go to the psychiatric ward at the far end of the hospital. It was located at the first floor, with its own garden. 
Minhyuk opened the ward's door just in time when Jung Soojung was exiting her room. A nurse was accompanying her, holding her hand and guiding her to the door. 
"Where is she going?" Minhyuk asked. 
"The garden. It's beautiful outside, and I think Soojung-ssi would love to see the cherry blossoms  and not stuck in her room." the nurse smiled. Soojung avoided Minhyuk's gaze and nodded, whispering. "Cherry blossom.."
"I can take her." before he knew it, Minhyuk was saying. Taking a step forward the girl with the white hospital gown and long brown hair. She was wearing bunny slippers, Minhyuk noticed, and was playing with her pink hospital bracelet. 
"Are you sure, dr. Kang?" the nurse asked, still holding Soojung's hand. dr. Lee did say dr. Kang was the one who saved Soojung's life, and last time they met, she was screaming and yelling at him for saving her life. 
"I am sure." Minhyuk reached out for her hand. "Let's see the cherry blossoms, Soojung-si. It's really beautiful outside."
She shifted her gaze to his face, her eyes were searching for his, and when she did, she held on and let go if the nurse's hand. 
Minhyuk took her hand and nodded to the nurse. "I'll take it from here." he smiled and guided Soojung to the door that lead to the garden. 
The psychiatric ward's garden was specially designed for the patients. The hospital planted a lot of flowers; from roses to morning glories to carnations and even a row of sunflowers at one corner of the garden. The cherry blossom trees were in full bloom that day, pink flowers were shown here and there and few petals were blown by the wind. 
Minhyuk took Soojung to a bench and sat down. The girl silently followed. She leaned her back to the bench and closed her eyes, probably taking the silence and calmness surrounding her. Minhyuk took out  two bottles of banana milk and offered one to Soojung. "Want some?" she nodded and took the bottle. Minhyuk sticked the straw and watched as Soojung take the bottle to her lips and drank slowly. "Thank you." she said. Minhyuk nodded and drank his own banana milk.
"Soojung-ssi.." Minhyuk said slowly. 
"Yes?"
"Are you okay?"
She drank her milk again before smiling and looking at Minhyuk. Minhyuk noticed that almost everytime Jung Soojung talked, she would always looking at his eyes. 
"I've been better."
He contemplated for a while, part of him wanted to ask her why she did it. It needs great bravery for jumping from a bridge. A great sadness too, and he wondered if her boyfriend's death was her reason. She must have loved him so much.
"I'm sorry, for last time.." she said, playing with her milk bottle. "I was... not myself."
"It's okay."
"Don't you want to know why I did it?" she asked.
"Huh?"
"Don't you want to know why I jumped from that bridge that morning?"
Minhyuk was taken aback by her sudden question. "Um.." he really isn't good with people, he rarely had long talks with his patients that's why he chose to become a surgeon. Apparently, his hands worked better than his mouth.
"dr. Lee asked me about it this morning." she said. "It's nice of him to asked me when I'm better. I think he's a good psychiatrist, don't you think?"
Minhyuk nodded. "Did you tell him?"
Soojung shook her head. "Not yet."
"Why?"
"I'm not ready."
"I remembered that night when I met you in Itaewon. You looked.. strange. And you told me.." he  hesitated. Was it okay to mention her boyfriend?
"Yes, because my boyfriend just died." she said casually. "You would feel the same way if your girlfriend died."
"Oh well..."
"He left me, doctor. He left me." 
Minhyuk turned to look at her and was expecting to see tears in her eyes, something he has seen so often he already used to it. Seeing Jung Soojung looked well, and calm, and healthy like this felt a little bit strange.
"How could he? We were a couple for four years now, and I thought he loved me." she blinked but Minhyuk could not see any tears. Her eyes looked gloomy, and she was looking at the garden. Hands placed on her lap, back straight and hair was blowing by the wind. Minhyuk wondered if she felt cold but it looked like she didn't feel anything, except sadness.
"I thought, if he killed himself. At least he would say goodbye.."
"Is that your reason to...." Minhyuk stopped and looked at her. She was also looking at him, raising her eyebrows as if to encourage him to continue. "Jump."
"Maybe." she smirked.
"There are a lot of things on my mind, dr. Kang. It's like my brain kept buzzing and working and I cannot make it stop."
"I'm tired."
She closed her eyes and sighed, and Minhyuk didn't know what to do or say.
"I wished he would said goodbye, or told me his reasons. No, a good bye would do. Just.. one last hug or one last kiss.. that would do." 
Slowly, Minhyuk reached for her shoulder and patted it. "It's... okay."
She smiled. "dr. Kang, this is why you're not a psychiatrist. You cannot deal with damaged minds."
Minhyuk laughed. "Yeah, I guess."
"Tell me, dr. Kang. Are you good at what you do?" she asked.
"I think so.. I'm the chief resident for two years now. I'll graduate next year." 
"That's good."
"Yeah."
"I envy you. You know what you wanted to do with your life."
"What did you do for a living, Soojung-ssi?"
She smiled. "I'm a librarian."
"Really?"
"Yes, really. Why?"
Minhyuk shrugged. "It's just that.. you don't look like a librarian when I saw you that night."
Soojung laughed. "What? You think we wore cardigans and boring shirts everywhere?"
"Oh no! I didn't mean to.."
"It's okay." she waved her hand. "I get that all the time. Jung Soojung, the fashion industry will suit you better, people told me every time. But I guess, I love books and libraries more.."
"That's good, to work at something you really love."
"I know."
"dr. Kang, do you like what you do?" she asked.
Minhyuk thought for a while. "It gets depressing sometimes, but yes. I could say that I like what I do."
"See, it's good for you also, doctor." she smiled.
"Yeah...."
They were silent again. She was looking at the cherry blossom trees and feeling the wind in her face. Minhyuk drank all of his remaining banana milk and put the empty bottle inside his coat's pocket.
"I'm sorry." Minhyuk said.
"Why?"
"Because I saved your life."
Soojung chuckled. "Yeah, that's... okay, I guess. You can't help it anyway, it's your job."
"Soojung-ssi.. I think that's my reason to live. To try my best to save people's life. Soojung-ssi, you need to find that reason." he encouraged. Trying his shrink talk as much as he could, being friends with Jungshin for a long time should have some effect in his people skill anyway.
"I... am not ready." she whispered. 
"It's okay, take your time. You'll get better."
Soojung nodded, facing Minhyuk and took his hand in hers. "Thank you. It's easy to talk with you." she smiled. 
"And thank you for saving my life."