02.

Part of The List

Kang Minhyuk took the canned coffee from the vending machine and sat at nearest bench. He just got out from a 36 hours shift and his whole body felt sore. He needed coffee, lots of them. 

He drank his coffee and leaned his back to the bench and stared at the sky. The sky was as blue as it could be, thick clouds were moving lazily and there's no wind, but it's still cold enough. Minhyuk was glad he was wearing his long white coat on top of his scrubs. 

His phone rang, it's Jungshin.

"Minhyuk-ah, where are you?"

"Garden, why?"

"Can you come down here for a minute? There's a patient here... your patient from yesterday."

Jung Soojung.

"What about her?"

"You asked for her psychiatric evaluation, right? Well...."

"Are you done?"

"Almost, I'm moving her to my ward since she became my patient now, anyways... she's asking for you."

"Me?"

"Yeah."

"Specifically?" 

Jungshin sighed, sometimes Minhyuk could be a little difficult. "She asked for the doctor who saved her life."

"Hmmm..."

"You should see her, I'll be here."

 

When Minhyuk get to the psychiatry ward, Jungshin was at the nurse station, writing on a report. "Hey." he greeted his friend, and Jungshin nodded towards a room in front of the nurse station. "She's inside."

Minhyuk peeked inside. Sure enough, Jung Soojung was sitting at the hospital bed, her back facing the door and she was looking outside. Her hair was combed and instead of leather jacket, she was now wearing white hospital gown. 

"Is it okay, though?" Minhyuk asked Jungshin. 

"Are you afraid of some crazy people?" Jungshin mocked. He really hated it if his colleagues, or anyone he knew, or just anyone looked down on his field: psychiatry, it is so much more than just text books and lectures, he always told the gang, it needs special skill to understood what's on the human mind. 

"I'm not... she's not crazy, isn't she? Is she? What's your diagnosis?" Minhyuk asked. 

Jungshin shrugged his shoulder. "Could be major depressive disorder. But I cannot rule out schizophrenia still... probably bipolar."

"What the... why do you have so many diagnosis?" Minhyuk protested. 

"That's how I learn, and that's psychiatry, my friend, the possibilities are endless." Jungshin said, widen out his arms with one exaggerating movement. 

Minhyuk groaned and finally walked to Jung Soojung's room. She was still looking out of her room's window. Not moving even when Minhyuk was inside. He stared at her back and thought even her back looked sad.

"Miss Jung." Minhyuk said. Not calling her, but saying her name as if he's saying her name for himself. 

Jung Soojung turned her head and finally Minhyuk saw those brown eyes. The eyes that were so familiar and warm. 

"You." she stated. She got up to faced him, and they were standing face to face, with the hospital bed separating them "You are dr. Kang Minhyuk?"

"I am." 

"You're the guy from Itaewon, right?"

"Yes, I am."

She opened , and closing her as if she wanted to say something but no sound came out. "You...." she stuttered.

"Are you okay, Miss Jung?" Minhyuk asked. "dr. Lee told me you wanted to see me."

Jung Soojung looked at her feet, then at him, she stepped backwards until her back was leaning at the window. "Yes.." she whispered. "Yes..."

"Are you okay?" he asked again, looking at Soojung. 

She looked at him, then to the floor, then back at him. Her eyes were wild and full of tears, but she blinked before it came out. She sniffled at wiped her eyes. "Yes..." 

"I'm glad to hear that."

She closed her eyes, and Minhyuk waited. 

He waited and looked at her while she closed her eyes, back still close to the window. She looked thinner from two days ago. Dark circles forming under her eyes and her lips chapped. 

"Why did you save me?" she finally said after a while. It was so soft, almost like a whisper, so Minhyuk stepped forward. "What did you say?"

"Why did you save me?" she said again, louder, she was looking at him now, and totally crying. Tears streaming down her flushed cheeks. "Why did you save me?" she cried. 

Minhyuk stepped back.

"Did I ask you to save me?? Did I?!" she said. 

"I..." Minhyuk stammered, couldn't find a words to say.

"I didn't ask you to save me! Why did you save me?" she was yelling now. She was crying and sobbing and finally fell to the floor. 

"dr. Lee!" Minhyuk called, and Jungshin came rushing to the room. "What did you do?!" he asked. "Nothing!" Minhyuk answered. 

"Why did you save me?!" Soojung was still crying, and Jungshin knelt beside her. "Miss Jung, please get up."

"I didn't ask him."

"Miss Jung." Jungshin grabbed Soojung's arm to pull her, but she refused. 

"I didn't ask to be saved." she cried. Jungshin looked at Minhyuk but the other guy just shrugged and shook his head. 

"Miss Jung, please get up." Jungshin grabbed her hands and this time Soojung obeyed. She stumbled to her get up and walked slowly to her bed. She got to her bed and Jungshin helped her to lay down. She was closing her eyes, whispering "I didn't ask to be saved.. I didn't aske to be saved."

"Miss Jung." Jungshin called her and Soojung stopped talking. "Miss Jung." she opened her eyes. 

She just laid there, crying, while Jungshin ordered a nurse to bring her some tea. "Miss Jung, please calm down and relax, okay? Lunch will be ready in a minute and after that you can have your medicine."

 

"She kept repeating that she didn't want to be saved." MInhyuk said. He and Jungshin were having lunch at the hospital's cafetaria. Jungshin was munching at his bibimbap while Minhyuk busy recalling his encounter with Jung Soojung. 

"Well, she's distracted." Jungshin said. 

"I saved her life, Jungshin-ah. She should be thankful, not questioning me!"

"She wanted to kill herself, Minhyuk. What do you expect?"

Minhyuk leaned on his chair and stirred her soup. "I still couldn't understand..."

"That's why you're a surgeon, not a psychiatrist." Jungshin grinned. 

Minhyuk scoffed. 

"Minhyuk-ah, someone who decided to kill themself, already died a long time before they killed themself." Jungshin said, wiping his mouth with a napkin. "You and me, we've been through pain before, and we survived right? If someone wanted to kill themself, can you imagine how much pain they were suffering? How great it was until they couldn't take it anymore?"

Minhyuk nodded and let Jungshin continue. "People like Jung Soojung... even before she jumped off that bridge.. she's already dead. In her mind, she's dead. Even now, she's might as well die because her logic just refused to function anymore. She doesn't have any reason to live, nothing excites her anymore."

"Actually, I met her the night before she tried to kill herself. At Itaewon." Minhyuk said.

"What??!!"

"Yea."

"Are you kidding me??!! How?!"

Minhyuk shrugged. "She's just there when I went out for some air. She looked sad.."

"And..."

Minhyuk shook his head. "That was it." Somehow, he couldn't tell Jungshin about her boyfriend.

----------

The next day, after his shift ended, Kang Minhyuk went to the psychiatric ward to see her. He promised himself to just see her from outside. He was afraid she's going to throw a tantrum again and Jungshin would be mad at him and banned Minhyuk from entering the ward ever again. 

She was sitting in her bed, reading. Her hair was tied in a bun, and without tears and flushed cheek, she looked normal. 

Minhyuk stood outside of her room for a few minutes until she stopped reading and turned her head to him. Minhyuk was ready to walk away, but her eyes caught his and he just stood there, frozen. 

She looked at his eyes for a few minutes before nodding, and continued reading.