01.

Part of The List

"Kang Minhyuk!" Lee Jungshin was banging on the apartment's door. "Ya! Kang Minhyuk!" 

Irritated, Minhyuk got up from his couch, knocking on some empty coca cola cans on his way to the door. "What the hell, Lee Jungshin?" 

Lee Jungshin stood in front of his apartment, wearing blue button down shirts and coat, and he smelled like vanilla and cigarettes. "Are you wearing perfume?" Minhyuk asked, moving to the side so Jungshin can enter his apartment. 

"What are you doing on a Saturday night, Minhyuk-ah?" 

"Umm... watching dramas."

"That's lame."

"Well, I have morning shift tomorrow, so I'm not planning to go out anyway."

"But it's Saturday night!" Jungshin exclaimed, grabbing a cola from Minhyuk's fridge, opening it, and taking a sip before he continued. "You're coming with me to meet the hyungs in Itaewon." 

"What? No." 

The hyungs, as Jungshin mentioned, were their seniors in medical school: Jung Yonghwa and Lee Jonghyun. The four of them were friends throughout medical school, until Yonghwa graduated and moved back to his home; Busan. Two years later, Jonghyun moved to London to continue his study. 

"What do you mean, no? Both Jonghyun and Yonghwa are in town. It's rude to decline their offer." Jungshin began opening Minhyuk's wardrobe. "Do you own anything from this season? You need to buy new clothes, you know."

"Shut up, and stop looking at my closet, will you?" Minhyuk grabbed Jungshin arms to stop him from taking out his clothes. 

"Wear something decent, we're going out."

"I'm not going!"

"Yes you are!" Jungshin's phone rang and he held up a finger. "Yes, hyung? Yes... I'm at Minhyuk's apartment. What? Yeah, of course he's coming. Alright. Yep, see ya!"

"Why are you telling him I'm coming?" Minhyuk protested, celarly getting annoyed because Lee Jungshin just ruined his peaceful Saturday night. 

"Because you are."

----------

Itaewon, just like every other Saturday night, was packed with people. Minhyuk put his hands inside his coat's pockets as he followed Jungshin exiting the subway station, and turned right where most of the crowd were heading. They're heading to the heart of Itaewon where most bars and clubs were located. 

"Where are we meeting them?" Minhyuk asked Jungshin when they passed several bars, mostly packed with foreigners. 

"Jonghyun hyung found this club down the road." Jungshin answered. 

"Club? Since when that hyung went to clubs?"

Jungshin laughed. "Apparently, London changed him. A lot."

They entered a crowded club, Jungshin tip toed to locate where the hyungs were. "There they are!" Yonghwa and Jungshin were seated at the far end of the club. 

"Why did you choose this place, hyung?" Minhyuk asked. Clubs were not his scene, since... ever. He rarely went to clubs, even on boys night with the hyungs and Jungshin they used to go to a small bar near their campus for a beer. They're not the type of boys who hang out it crowded place like Itaewon. 

"Just missing Seoul, that's all." Jonghyun grinned.

They caught up with each other. Jonghyun telling them that he finished his study, he's officially a anasthesiologist since two months ago, and just got job offering from a hospital in Seoul. He's considering to came home to get closer with his family, and apparently he still can't get over his first love. Yonghwa told them that his wife is pregnant, three months old. And being a gynecologist he's used with pregnant women, but his wife fascinated him during this pregnancy. 

"I wonder what will I be when it's time for her to give birth." Yonghwa shook his head, "Let me tell you guys, women... ck, they get crazy with a baby inside them." 

"Well you, of all people should know that hyung." Jungshin drank his beer. 

"She's.... she's not like any other patient."

"Of course not, she's your wife."

An hour into the conversation, Minhyuk got bored and his ears starting to ache from all the music in the club, so he excused himself to take some air outside. 

"You're still our lame Minhyukkie, aren't you?" Yonghwa mocked when Minhyuk got up to leave. 

"Yeah, whatever."

"Still, he's going to be Korea's top surgeon when he finished his study." Jungshin said. 

Minhyuk left his friends and slowly walked towards the door. It's kind of difficult because the club was packed with people, but finally he got to the door and pushed it.

It's in the middle of April and Seoul was still cold, so Minhyuk tightened his coat before walking towards the alley at the back of the club, and sat down at the bench. It was quiet outside, all he could hear was the music from afar and the crowded people at the sidewalk 10 meters from him. 

"Can I sit with you?" A voice startled him, and he quickly turned his head to the source. 

A girl was standing in the middle of the alley. She was wearing a black leather jacket over a turtleneck sweater. Her long hair was blown by the wind and she tucked them behind her ear as she walked towards Minhyuk. "Can I sit.... here for a minute?" she asked slowly. 

When she was close enough, Minhyuk can see tears in her cheeks, and her nose was red. 

"Yes." was his answer, and the girl sat beside him at the bench. Minhyuk scooted to gave her more room, but she didn't budge. She just sat there, occasionally sniffling and closing her eyes as to prevent more tears coming out. 

She's definitely not a ghost, Minhyuk thought, she was wearing leather jacket and sneakers, and as far as Minhyuk knew, no ghost was fashionable enough or thought about dressing up like this girl. 

"Are you..." Minhyuk began, before the girl cut him. "Do you think those people in the street have problems?"

"Huh?"

"Do you think those people.... do you have problems? In your life, I mean." she turned her head to him and looked at him in the eyes. 

"I... Yeah, I think I do."

"I wonder how those people kept living.." she said, looking at her feet. "I wonder why no one chose to die."

"Maybe because they have their own reasons." Minhyuk said. 

"What's yours?"

"Me?"

The girl nodded. "What's your reason to get up tomorrow and live?"

Minhyuk thought for a while. "Tomorrow I have my shift, so my reason to live is to safe lives."

She smirked, and Minhyuk wanted to asked her if she needed a shrink, because there was one in the building. A little bit drunk, but Jungshin was smart and capable enough for a psychiatric talk if needed. 

They were silent and the girl tapped her legs to the cold pavement.

Tap.

Tap.

"There are billions of people in this world, and yet.... here I am." she muttered, Minhyuk almost didn't hear her and he wondered if she's talking to him or herself. "I am...." she closed her eyes and not continue. 

"Are you okay?" Minhyuk finally asked. The girl was still closing her eyes, but she was smiling. "Maybe."

"Maybe?"

She opened her eyes and once again turned to face Minhyuk. "Wanna know something?"

Minhyuk just looked at her and cannot answer. "Huh?"

"My boyfriend died yesterday."

Damn, didn't see that one coming. 

"He killed himself."

.

"He never left a note, never said goodbye, never... told me anything. He just... went away. Just like that. Gone."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"You don't have to, you don't know him." she smiled, cocking her head to the side and still looking at Minhyuk's eyes. "I don't even know why he did it." 

"You really..." Minhyuk began, telling her that he knew a psychiatrist if she needed one, but the girl was already getting up. She put her hands inside her jacket pocket and starightened her back. 

"Well, it's nice talking to you, have a good night!" she smiled, and started walking away. 

----------

"Thank you dr. Kang!" the nurses said when he was done operating and was taking off his surgical gown. Minhyuk nodded and stepped out of the operating theater and into the hallway, and suddenly his pager beeped. The emergency room. 

He walked to the direction of the emergency room when nurse Oh from the emergency room came running. "dr. Kang! There you are!" 

"What?"

"I called the O.R and they said you're done so I paged you!" 

"Yeah, I received your page. Everything's okay?"

"An ambulance will arrive any minute now. Someone just jumped from the Banpo bridge!"

When they got to the emergency room, a stretcher was pushed inside by a paramedic, while another one was sitting on top of it, doing CPR for the patient. Minhyuk rushed to the stretcher when the paramedic yelled. "Doctor! We're losing her!"

"Nurse Oh, prepare adrenaline!" Minhyuk instructed while running towards the patient. 

"Patient name Jung Soojung, 25 years old, she jumped from Banpo bridge earlier this morning. Drown for about 10 minutes before the rescue team found her."

It's her. Minhyuk froze when she saw the patient lying helplessly at the strecther. 

"Doctor?"

She was still wearing the turtleneck and the leather jacket, but both clothing was now wet with Han river water. Her long dark hair was messy, also drenched with water.

"Doctor!" 

Minhyuk snapped out of his thought and helped the nurses to moved Jung Soojung to a hospital bed. He prepped the ambu bag and the ECG and the adrenaline, but his mind was elsewhere. To Itaewon, to the alley at the back of Move club, to the girl who asked his reason to live.

Her eyes, those brown eyes which were staring at him last night was now closed, maybe forever, if Minhyuk didn't do his best. 

"This is my reason." he said, before injecting the adrenaline and began another set of CPR.