The Storyteller

Forgotten Lost Boy

            Minhyun did not release your hand until you were all safely back in the hideout, but when he did, your fingers instantly began to tingle from the lack of warmth and you wished very much that he had not let go. Feeling a little embarrassed by the thought, you began to busy yourself by helping comfort the Lost Boys, some of whom were growing increasingly restless by all the current events.
            “Did you see how the croc disappeared though?” Tums began, pacing back and forth, his curly locks bouncing upon his head. “And the ship and…what will be next, Min? Will the entire island disappear?” There were cries and shouts all around as all the Lost Boys began to grow hysterical, some running around, others sitting and crying in their beds and the rest clinging on to one another quietly, unable to comprehend just how dire the situation was.

            “We won’t let the island disappear,” Minhyun told Tums, gently placing his arm around the younger boy’s shoulder. “Don’t lose hope yet. We’ll find Peter, for sure,” Minhyun smiled at him and a small smile grew on Tums’s face, clearly reassured by Minhyun’s hopeful words.
            “I want Peter back,” Munt quietly stated as he crawled under his blankets, his canopy bed swaying gently from his weight.
            “Me too,” Crabs nodded as he began his thumb in a child-like manner, his happy disposition dampened. “Peter would know how to fix things.”
            “And he will,” you gently told him before addressing all the Lost Boys. “We’ll find Peter for sure and restore Neverland to its true form, I promise.”
            “A lady’s promise is ‘er word,’ Lofty told the others. “Per’aps he’ll be back in the morn.”
            “That’s right!” Tums sat upon his bed of leaves, removing the dagger at his belt as he did so. “Maybe if we fall asleep now like good children, we’ll wake tomorrow and find this has all been a bad dream.”
            “A bad dream?” Munt repeated.
            “A bad dream! That’s all this is!” Minhyun repeated, trying his best to convince them all to ease their worries. “How about a story to help you all fall asleep?” At the mention of a story, all the Lost Boys perked up and immediately settled in their beds.
            “You should tell them the story you always used to tell me when we were younger,” Minhyun turned to you as he sat down upon one of the tree trunk stools, “The one about the Princess and her glass heart.”
            “A princess?” Crabs perked up. “Is she a lovely princess?”
            “All princesses are lovely princesses,” Tums told him in a matter-of-fact manner.
            “But why does she have a glass heart?” Munt asked as he pulled his blanket up to his small freckled nose.
            You glanced across at Minhyun, surprised by his request, his brown eyes sparkling, eagerly waiting for you to tell the tale. Once again, there was a memory there of you both having spent time together when you were younger yet you could not recall it whatsoever. Why had you forgotten all these happy times which you had spent with the boy next door? Where had those memories disappeared to? Had you just been too young to remember them the way Minhyun did? You just could not make sense of it, no matter how hard you tried.

            “Once upon a time,” you began as you sat upon the stool beside Minhyun. “There lived a beautiful, kind and intelligent Princess and inside of her, her heart was made of glass. She had been born this way, her fragile heart beating inside of her, a constant reminder of how she was different to everyone else. Everyone in the palace treated her with so much care, doting on her constantly that she began to feel smothered. They never let her out of their sight, in fear that she might fall and tragically break her heart. She was hardly allowed to do anything in the palace and she began to grow restless and sad, feeling like she had no purpose. After all, what good was a life lived without taking risks and having adventures?”

            “Ain’t that right,” Lofty added in agreement only to get shushed by the other Lost Boys who were patiently listening to the story.

            “One day, as always, she sat in the library reading a book she had read several times already when there was a giant crash from the fireplace. When she ran over to the fireplace, she saw someone covered in soot and cobwebs, stood dusting their clothes. ‘Who are you?’ she asked them, a little scared but mostly curious. The man raised his hand, clicked his fingers and suddenly his clothes were clean once more. ‘I am a great wizard, fallen from the stars. I have come to return the glass hearted princess home.’ At his words, the Princess stepped back fearfully. ‘But I have a glass heart,’ she told him. The wizard reached out and took her hand gently. ‘Fear not, Princess. You who hold a glass heart inside of you were destined for great things.’”
            “The Princess was confused, especially since she had always been told that she was too fragile to go off on adventures but the Wizard removed a book from his robe sleeves and showed her the truth that she was in fact from the stars, her glass heart the reason why the stars twinkled in the galaxy for they reflected in her eyes and shone beautifully this way. ‘Since you fell to this world, the stars have twinkled no more. I have spent many years searching for you and now I have found you. Will you return to your home and help the stars twinkle once more?’ The Princess agreed and the moment she returned to the galaxy, the stars began to pulse so brightly, shimmering and shining proudly now that their glass hearted Princess had returned home, to live happily ever after amongst them. Even now, when you look up at the night sky, you’ll find the stars twinkling happily and it’s all thanks to the glass hearted Princess for even she who was so fragile had a purpose, the way we all do.”

            The moment you had finished the story, you noticed all the Lost Boys had fallen asleep, the gently rhythmic rise and fall of their chests a clear indication of their deep slumber.
            “I hadn’t heard that story in such a long time. Thank you for telling it again,” Minhyun whispered to you as he shuffled his stool closer.
            “How did you…remember it?” You asked, wishing you had worded your question better.
            “You told me it every night we spent together when we were children. Do you…really not remember?” You shook your head, a lump forming in your throat.
            “Why can’t I remember anything, Minhyun? Why don’t I remember us spending time with one another when we were children?” As you asked your questions, you saw that guilty look appear once more upon his face, his eyebrows knitting together anxiously as he combed a hand through his hair.
            “I…I can’t lie to you,” he began, “But I think we should find Peter first and then…then we can talk about it. I’m sorry,” he apologised. Sighing, you placed a hand upon his shoulder reassuringly and forced a smile.
            “You’re right, we need to find Peter first. Don’t worry,” but despite your words, he still looked troubled and it made you wonder just what he was concealing. “If Peter’s not in Neverland, where else would he be?” You asked to distract Minhyun from dwelling upon what you had asked. Now was not the time to be selfish, especially when an entire world was about to fade away from existence.
            “Earth, more than likely,” Minhyun suggested, as he stared absentmindedly towards the ceiling. “I know he used to fly back there often when I visited Neverland, sometimes returning with more children, but he’d never stay away for too long.”
            “There’s nowhere specific he’d visit?”
            “Wendy,” the voice who had spoken was neither yours nor Minhyun’s. In fact, it was a voice you did not recognise. Turning slowly, you saw the youngest Lost Boy, Fenn stood there, blanket clutched in one small hand, his almond eyes blinking innocently at you both.
            “What is it Fenn?” Minhyun gently asked as he held out his hand. Fenn took it and climbed into Minhyun’s lap, dragging his blanket with him.
            “Peter says the name Wendy lots,” Fenn quietly told you both. “When he’s dreaming, he says her name. Who’s Wendy?” Fenn asked, his sweet voice as soft as butter.
            “Wendy was someone very important to Peter,” You told Fenn. Minhyun looked across at you, a little stunned that you had answered.
            “Impor…tant?” Fenn repeated.
            “That’s right. She used to tell the Lost Boy’s stories and they treated her like their mother.”
            “I want a mother,” Fenn stated, “Will Wendy come back?” You wondered how to break it to Fenn that Wendy was probably long gone from Earth now but at that moment, Minhyun jumped in and saved you from telling a lie.
            "If you believe it enough Fenn, then anything’s possible. That’s what Peter taught us, right?” Minhyun smiled down at the small child. “Now it’s time you go to sleep like the other Lost Boys.” Fenn clambered off from Minhyun’s lap and toddled back to his bed, climbing back in obediently. You both waited a few minutes, ensuring he had fallen asleep before Minhyun signalled for you both to leave the hide out.
            There was a strong breeze as you both emerged, pushing you back and making you stumble. Broken, brown leaves twisted and turned in the gale before coming crashing down upon the ground, crushed and unable to move again. The trees were beginning to look withered, the stars above dimly shining behind the clouds, perhaps a little sad that Peter was lost too and that Neverland was fading away.
            “We need to fly back to Earth,” Minhyun told you before he whistled loudly.
            “You think you know where Peter is?” You asked.
            “There was one story he always used to tell us about Wendy,” Minhyun began as he searched the sky. “It was the story about how he would sit by her window and listen to her telling her brother stories because that’s where it all began.” Smiling, Minhyun stepped forward just as a blue light trilled through the air before landing gracefully in the palm of Minhyun’s hand. “That’s when he lost his shadow and when he brought Wendy and her brothers to Neverland.” You looked up at Minhyun, wisps of his hair fluttering in the wind. “Peter is prone to forgetting things and eventually, he did forget Wendy, but there were moments where he’d suddenly remember her and that’s when he would be most troubled.”
            “Are you suggesting that…he’s remembered her again now?” You asked, trying to make sense of what Minhyun had told you.
            “Not only remembered her, he’s probably searching for her in London.”
            “Well, it’s a theory and we don’t have any other clues right now,” you shrugged, “There’s no harm in looking for him in London.”
            “We better go quickly then,” Minhyun allowed Trilby to cover him with fairy dust, from head to toe. “The longer we wait, the more of Neverland begins to fade away. We need to hurry.”