Encountering Captain Hook

Forgotten Lost Boy

            When Minhyun and the Lost Boys had grabbed their weapon, emerged from the hide out and ran towards the cliff side, they had failed completely to think of a plan. They could not exactly stride up to Captain Hook and demand that he put Tiger Lily back down on solid ground and walk away. He was, after all, a merciless pirate and if he was making demands whilst endangering the life of the Princess then this sensitive situation needed to be approached…sensitively.
            You reached out to Minhyun to stop him and convey your worries, but at that moment a clearing appeared before you all and the Lost Boys immediately dispersed, blending in with the foliage as they hid and observed what was taking place before them. The Red Indians had all gathered, weapons in their hands, with their archers stood to the back, poised and ready to shoot at Captain Hook should it come to it. The Chief was at the front, trying to reason with Captain Hook but the pirate stood there, Tiger Lily dangling over the cliff side in his human hand whilst his hook was outstretched threateningly.
            From what you knew of Captain Hook from stories and movies, he was a menacing character, someone who was merciless and who wanted nothing more than to kill Peter Pan as revenge for his own hand being cut off. He was fierce in reality, yet for some reason, he seemed to be shaking a little.

            “He’s definitely scared,” Minhyun’s voice whispered in your ear. You turned to look at him, a little taken aback by how close he was to you. “I’ve never seen him act like this before. Usually he’s all about good form, but this? This is out of character.”
            “But isn’t this what he does? Threaten to kill or harm someone in the hope that Peter Pan will rescue them?” You naively asked.
            “In a way, but only when he knows Peter is in Neverland, that way the game can go on.”
            “Game?” You raised an eyebrow sceptically. “It’s a game to threaten someone’s life like this?”
            “No,” Minhyun sighed. “No it’s not. This is serious right now, but…” he looked across to you, a sorrowful look in the corner of his eyes. Before he could say anymore, Captain Hook’s voice rang out, loud and true.

            “If anyone comes a step closer, I will drop the Princess to her watery grave!” Captain Hook sneered at all who had gathered. There was an uproar as the tribe threw angry words in the pirate’s direction, furious expressions across their faces as they brandished their weapons high above their heads.
            “Captain Hook, give me back my daughter,” The Chief calmly asked Captain Hook. “Peter Pan will not come.”
            “But Peter Pan always comes!” Captain Hook shouted at the Chief. “Whenever he has a moment to steal glory for himself, he appears! That arrogant child would not miss saving Tiger Lily, not even for a second. Where is that trickster? Show yourself, Peter Pan!”
            “Pirates are gone. Home for us is gone,’ the Chief waved a hand towards the empty pirate ship in the water below, bobbing gently in ghostly silence before waving another hand towards barren land, visible in the near distance on the next cliff, smoke rings from an extinguished fire floating in the air, the last remnants of the tribe’s home. “Peter Pan is not in Neverland.”
            “We’ll just see about that,” Captain Hook smirked. “Time to say goodbye Tiger Lily!” The Chief’s daughter wriggled helplessly, her hands tied and mouth bound, unable to save herself. She looked across to her father sadly, tears streaming down her face before Captain Hook released his hold on her. The Chief cried out and everyone gasped. There was silence. They waited for her to hit the water. They waited…and waited…and waited…yet there was no splash.
            “Peter Pan, no doubt,” Captain Hook snorted as he turned around and peered over the edge. Everyone else ran to the cliff side too, eager to see the return of their beloved hero. Then, there were gasps all around.
            “That is not Peter Pan!” someone exclaimed.
            The Lost Boys emerged from their hiding place and ran to the cliff’s edge too, curious as to who this imposter was. Perhaps it was Peter’s shadow? After all, it had a habit of coming undone and running off on its own adventures. You found yourself following them too before stopping suddenly and looking about you.
            “Minhyun?” you called out, but there was no reply. “Where did he go?” peering into the forest’s greenery, you tried searching but to no avail. You could have sworn he was right behind you…
            “Who are you, imposter?” Captain Hook questioned as Tiger Lily appeared, safe and sound in the arms of…
            “Min?!” The Lost Boys chimed as they ran forward, pushing through the tribe of Red Indians, trying to reach their fellow comrade.
            You span round, eyes wide in shock, just in time to see a shimmering blue light trill about before hovering near the Lost Boys; you smiled, knowing that Trilby had worked her fairy magic to help Minhyun so he could save Tiger Lily. Minhyun carefully landed and put Tiger Lily back down on solid ground. Untying her hands and the cloth bound around , Minhyun worked quickly. The Lost Boys stood between Captain Hook and Minhyun, swords out to stop the pirate from interfering and causing any more trouble.
            Running through the crowd, you stood at the front, watching with a small smile on your face. Then the smile faded, for the moment Tiger Lily was freed, she reached up and planted a small kiss on Minhyun’s cheek in thanks before running to her father. Minhyun blushed, his cheeks turning a rosy hue.

            “Unbelievable,” you sighed. Trilby trilled in reply, clearly a little agitated herself as she landed upon your shoulder and made childish imitations of Tiger Lily. She noticed you watching her and moment she did, she immediately stopped, sat down upon your shoulder with her arms folded and quietly observed with a frown upon her sweet little face. Fairies sure were fascinating creatures…!  

            “Foolish runts, move aside!” Captain Hook slashed his hook through the air but the Lost Boys stood rooted to the ground, unwaveringly.
            “Captain Hook, what you just did was beyond madness,” Minhyun stepped forward. “You’re clearly scared-”
            “Scared? Me?” The pirate threw his head back and cackled. “Dear boy, I am the very root of fear. What makes you think I have anything to be scared of?”
            “Your crew has vanished, haven’t they?” Minhyun began, “Parts of Neverland are fading away because Peter Pan has been gone for so long. You’re scared of what might happen next.”
            “Stop talking nonsense, boy, or I’ll run you through with my hook!” The moment Captain Hook had made his threat, the Lost Boys stepped towards him, determined and fearless.
            “You’ll have to get through us first if you want to get to Min,” Tums sneered at the pirate.
            “You thought Peter would come and save Tiger Lily, but she didn’t,” Minhyun stated. “He’s not coming back.” A wave of silence washed over everyone as they processed this information. “If you stop this madness, if you stay calm, then we can search together to find him.”
            “Search together?” Captain Hook shook his head. “My goal is only to kill that wretched Pan.”

            Minhyun was about to argue back when an audible ticking could be heard. Captain Hook’s eyes widened as he slowly turned around, a lump forming in his throat. You tilted your head and asked, “What is that ticking?” Minhyun smirked before imitating the ticking sound himself. The Lost Boys began to join in and the louder they ‘tick tocked’ the louder the ticking became until frenzied, Captain Hook screamed a shrill scream and ran from the edge of the cliff.
            “Yer ol’pal Mr.Crocodile is ‘ere to say ‘ello, Captain,” Lofty stated before all the Lost Boys began to laugh and jeer at the pirate.
            “Make that dastardly creature leave! It comes for Hook!” Captain Hook was quaking, his legs like jelly as he fell to his knees.
            “Now that’s not fair captain,” Crabs chimed in, “The poor animal just wants a friend.”
            “Hook has no friends!” The pirate spat out.

            The Lost Boys continued to tease Captain Hook and Minhyun laughed too, that childish glint in his eyes once more. You walked over to him and placed a hand on his arm. Surprised by your touch, he turned and looked at you, wide eyed before his cheeks coloured a little. Had he forgotten you were there? You were not sure, but the way he looked at you made your heart flutter a little.
            “You’re blushing,” you stated. He looked at you questioningly before covering his cheeks with his hands and looking away bashfully.

            Then, the ticking stopped. Minhyun walked across to the edge of the cliff and peered over.
            “It’s vanishing....”
            “Vanishing?” Captain Hook asked. “What do you mean ‘vanishing’?”
            Immediately, everyone crowded around Minhyun and just as he had said, they watched as the large crocodile which had chased after Captain Hook all these years slowly began to fade away. Its tail was the first to go before the rest of its body slowly began to fade away too. It opened its mouth wide, the sharp canines glinting before finally, there was a small pop! And it disappeared completely.
            “It’s gone…” Captain Hook stated. “It’s…gone!” He threw his head back and laughed happily.
            “I wouldn’t celebrate too soon,” Tums tugged at Captain Hook’s sleeve and pointed to the Jolly Roger down below.
            “My ship! Not my ship!” The mast of the Jolly Roger had disappeared and with it all the sails and the great big, black pirate flag. Unable to witness his pride and joy vanish before his eyes, Captain Hook began to back away from the edge of the cliff.
            “Hook…” Minhyun walked over to the pirate who immediately held his hook out threateningly.
            “You say this is Pan’s doing, then find the blithering fool of a boy.”
            “You have no idea where he could be?” Minhyun asked.
            “How should I know? I only battle with the arrogant child!”
            “You’re telling me you never keep tabs on him?” You raised an eyebrow, asking without even thinking. The pirate looked at you, for the first time it seemed for he seemed to size you up before twirling his moustache in between his fingers.

            “Young lady, I believe we have not been introduced and that is indeed bad form.” The pirate stepped towards you, his hand outstretched. Before he could reach you though, Minhyun stepped between you both, glaring at Captain Hook.
            “Stay away from her,” you heard Minhyun sternly tell Captain Hook.
            “How amusing,” the pirate snorted. “Your Wendy, perhaps?”
            “What?” You looked at him, bemused.
            “Do you or do you not have any idea where Peter may be?” Minhyun asked through gritted teeth. The pirate narrowed his eyes at Minhyun.
            “I try my very best to keep track of Peter Pan’s whereabouts but I am by no means his guardian, boy. Last we met at mermaid lagoon and battled. He flew away after having left me for the croc to have.” Stepping forward, Captain Hook raised his hook, ing it in front of Minhyun’s face. “A pirate is no pirate without a crew and a ship. I suggest you hurry up and find the cursed Pan or everyone here will suffer by my hand, as a consequence.”

            “I’ll find Peter,” Minhyun pushed Captain Hook’s hook away and stepped towards him bravely. “I’ll find him and save Neverland, don’t you worry about that. Come on boys, let’s go.” Minhyun grabbed your hand and pulled you back towards the forest, the Lost Boys following after you both.
 

            You had never known Minhyun to be so brave and outspoken before. He had always seemed like such a reserved person who would not do too well on an adventure, but here he was, flying from one world to the next and saving Princesses and standing up to pirates. If you did not know any better, you would say he was the most fearless, bravest person you knew.

            Little did you know how wrong you were, for everyone fears something...it is just a matter of time before you discover what that fear actually is.