Flight to Neverland

Forgotten Lost Boy

                “Let me get this straight,” You were pacing back and forth in Minhyun’s snow covered back garden in your dressing gown and pyjamas, trying to process what he had just revealed to you. After a lengthy explanation, Minhyun’s story was beginning to sound rather like something out of a story book as opposed to real life.
                “You were once a lost boy, but you chose to leave Neverland to grow up-”
                “Well, sort of-”
                “Because you wanted to be a singer-”
                “Still do-”
                “But you were visited a week ago by a…’fairy’-”
                “Her name is Trilby-”
                “Who told you that Neverland is in grave danger because Peter Pan-”
                “Is missing, yes-”
                “And all the previous lost boys have been asked to return to help search for Peter-”
                That’s right-”
                “Because the current lost boys have looked all over Neverland and-”
                “Peter’s not there-”
                “And if the current lost boys came to Earth, they would have no idea where to look, which is why you’ve been asked-”
                “To help look for Peter, yes.” You stopped pacing and looking at Minhyun, a stern expression upon your face.
                “I know it sounds crazy,” Minhyun started, his hands out in front of him, palms facing the starry sky, “But it’s the honest truth.”
                For a while, you continued to stare at him whilst attempting to organise your own thoughts. Seeing Minhyun fly was one thing, but this story was completely unfounded and illogical. How was any of what he was saying true? Yet looking into those innocent eyes once more, deep inside you knew he was not one for telling lies. Besides, the very fact that you had seen Minhyun leap out of his window and defy gravity with your own eyes was evidence enough that his story could potentially be true.
                Standing there, you knew this was all real. You could feel the soft breeze on the nape of your neck, smell the woody scent from the forest nearby, hear the rustling of tree branches…and see a blue spherical hue just above Minhyun’s shoulder…
                Rubbing your eyes with the balls of your fist, you blinked several times before peering towards his shoulder once more. The glow seemed to increase in brightness before a form began to emerge from it. Gradually you watched as it unfurled itself and revealed the tiniest person you had ever seen, adorned in a little dress the colour of blue topaz, with matching shoes and shoulder length hazel hair.  It was then you noticed the transparent wings protruding from just behind her back. Your eyes widened.
                “Is she…is she...this is crazy,” you shook your head in dismay, unable to fathom what you were seeing.
                “You can see her?” Minhyun asked, glancing from you to the minute creature who had landed and sat herself upon Minhyun’s shoulder, yawning as she did so and swinging her legs back and forth out of boredom.
                “Yes…” you replied, breathlessly, your eyes watching her in pure fascination.
                “Well then,” Minhyun smiled, holding out his now clean hand up to his shoulder. You watched as the miniature being hesitated before gracefully jumping down into his hand, allowing Minhyun to carefully carry her closer towards you.
                “I would like you to meet Trilby; she’s a fairy,” Minhyun clarified, although you had clearly deciphered this already.
                “I…hi…” you awkwardly whispered, as you tentatively reached out towards her. Trilby wrinkled her nose before stepping back and flying off of Minhyun’s hand to hide behind his head.
                “Oh, I’m sorry! Did I frighten her?” You asked, unsure of how to properly greet a fairy for the first time.
                “Don’t worry,” Minhyun chuckled. “She’s just a little wary of new people.” He looked towards you, tilting his head a little to one side with a glint in his eye.
                “What changed?”
                “What do you mean?” you asked perplexed, rubbing your arms as you were beginning to feel the cold penetrating through to your core.
                “Trilby had been sat on my shoulder for a while, but you didn’t notice her until now,” Minhyun leant forward and whispered, “How did you go from ‘maybe’ believing in fairies to ‘definitely’ believing in them in such a short space of time?”
                “I…” you looked up at him and suddenly noticed how close he was to you. Taking a step back, you felt the snow crunch beneath your bedroom slippers.
                “Doesn’t matter,” he shrugged before holding out his hand towards you. “Shall we?”
                “Shall we what?” you looked down at his outstretched hand before looking back up at him, an eyebrow raised in confusion.
                “Don’t you want to see what Neverland is like?”
                “Me?” your eyes widened as you edged further away from him. “No way, I can’t fly-” You turned away from Minhyun and briskly headed towards the gate, deciding it was time to return home.
                “Not with that attitude you can’t! Come on, I know you have it in you. What happened to all the excitement and adventure? We used to have lots of fun when we were younger!” You stopped. “Maybe you’ve forgotten, but I still remember it all…” his voice trailed off. You could not help but notice the sad undertones to Minhyun’s last words and your heart sank.
                How was it that he still remembered the past when your memories of your childhood had vanished like smoke? Your mother also remembered, but those days had not even existed as far as you were aware. The more you mulled over this jigsaw puzzle, the more baffled you became by it. Maybe they all had far better capacities to hold on to memories from long ago compared to you, but that explanation did not feel satisfying at all. However, here in front of you was a brief sign of redemption.
                The thought of seeing Neverland was both incredibly enticing but also terrifying, yet it was an open door to uncovering the answers you sought. Perhaps spending more time with Minhyun would help to recall some of the past you had so easily forgotten, but even if it did not, at least you would have made an escapade out of it and gotten to know the reclusive boy next door a little better.
                “Hello?” Startled, your vision came back into focus and you found Minhyun waving his hand furiously in front of you. “Earth to-oh! There you are!” He beamed and you could not help but smile in return. “So, what do you say?” He held his hand out to you once more. Piercing your lips and furrowing your brow, you reached out but pulled back at the last moment.
                “Promise me one thing,” you looked down at the ground, suddenly feeling incredibly nervous. “No matter how bad I am at it; promise me you won’t laugh at my lack of flying abilities.” There was a pause before you heard him chuckling.
                “Trust me, by the time we’ve reached Neverland, you’ll be such an expert that you’ll make all the birds jealous!”
                Before you could say anything more, Minhyun had taken a hold of both your hands and was now speaking to Trilby, asking her politely to cover you both in pixie dust from head to toe. You noticed her hesitation and the unimpressed look upon her face but in the end, she complied before flying off towards the night sky, not even waiting to see if her magic had worked.
                “Now you’ve just got to think happy thoughts,” Minhyun told you.
                “Happy thoughts?”
                “Happy thoughts.”
                So you did, without any questioning. You thought of all the things in the world which made you happy. All of the people who you loved who made you laugh and smile; all of the funny memories that made you chuckle; all of the hobbies you had which you were passionate about; all the things you really liked and enjoyed. Many, many things flooded your mind all at once that you were completely oblivious to the fact that you were now ten feet above the ground…
                “Don’t look down!” Minhyun exclaimed. “Just keep looking at me,” he told you. You watched as he swam through the sky whilst still holding one of your hands, pulling you along with him. Soon you were mimicking his movements and both of you were soaring high and fast through the air, towards…where? You were not sure exactly, but Neverland was apparently to the second star on the right and straight on ‘til morning. That is what the stories of ‘Peter Pan’ claimed and Minhyun seemed to be following exactly those directions.
                “Minhyun…how long will it take?” You shouted to him after he had let go of your hand, but he did not hear you due to the winter wind howling past you both at a tremendous speed. You could feel an anxious knot grow inside of you and were beginning to worry about what it was exactly you were doing. Instantly, you dropped lower, but Minhyun thankfully noticed.
                “Happy thoughts, remember?” He dove towards you and took hold of your hand once more. “Let’s stick together for the rest of the journey,” he gave you a reassuring smile and you forgot what you were even worrying about. “Now close your eyes”, he gripped your hands tighter. “And whatever you do, don’t let go!” You were about to ask why but suddenly, you were both shooting upwards and you could not help but do as he had asked.
                You saw none of what passed you by, but you could feel the chill dissipate and a strange warmth envelop you after a while. It was now humid and your nose wrinkled at the fresh scent of salty air. Without even consulting Minhyun, you snapped your eyes open and you found yourself flying just above a vast ocean. Unable to comprehend what you were seeing, you found yourself reaching out and dipping your hand into the cool waters below. Sure enough, it was as real as you were.
                “Welcome to Neverland,” Minhyun told you before pulling you up and flying straight ahead. Never before had you seen such beauty.  It was everything you had imagined yet it was even more than anyone could ever dream up. Neverland was a colourful, tropical paradise. Mountains rose up behind all the greenery and the flourishing flowers which adorned the edges of the island provided the island with a friendly and inviting atmosphere. There was glow to it, a certain radiance which made it shimmer in the rising Sun and the fruity, earthy scents sent the mind reeling with the anticipation of adventure. The possibility of such a place existing was incredible and at once you were glad you had agreed to venture into the unknown.
                As you approached the island, Minhyun led you safely down through the canopy of the forest and although it was a little wobbly, he helped you land on solid ground. It felt a little strange after having flown for so long, but at the same time, you felt relieved to be able to walk again. That was when you realised you were still in your night attire and groaned inwardly. At least Minhyun was wearing a hoodie and trainers; you were not going to get very far in your Spongebob slippers!
                These meaningless qualms quickly evaporated though when you suddenly felt yourself being grabbed from behind, a hand clamping itself across your mouth as you were pulled backwards into darkness…