no restraints

Early morning. In a very crowded fast food restaurant. Wendy sits with shut and one of her eyebrows raised. On the seat adjacent to her Seulgi peacefully reads her morning newspaper with her tray settled down already as if they actually planned everything.

"Excuse me?" Wendy blurts out. Sounding annoyed and sassy at the same time. Her light blue button up blouse crumpling in front as she crosses her arms on her chest. Who would like to have a stranger sitting across you without asking for permission?

"Good morning to you too." Seulgi answers taking a sip of her morning caffeine. Her hair is tied up in a messy bun and stray hairs were touching the side of her neck. She wears a baggy shirt with a neckline wide enough to show her collarbones and a seemingly peeking white petal of a tattoo, too little but didn’t go unnoticed by Wendy

"Who said you can sit there?" the red haired girl asked her eyebrow still raised. She decided to sit because it seemed like the other one has no plans to leave at all.

Seulgi didn't even bother to think of something rude to say her tooth hurts and well, she was just exhausted from all the paper works (that she hasn't even started) and the lack of sleep. Last night can also be commended for the fatigue she's experiencing at the moment, she just couldn't say no to Jimin's parents when they invited her for dinner, Seulgi thought it would be nice to see her high school friend  the person she wants to marry, her forever crush  (even if he's dating someone else) plus showing up to dinner also meant access to their middle school year book and after flipping page after page she finally found what she was looking for. Written in bold letters. Son Seungwan.

“Shut up Seungwan, just eat your breakfast.” She replied placing the newspaper down.  

“Yah what did you say!?” Wendy raised her voice a little only to catch Seulgi off guard.

Seulgi picked her receipt up only to show it to Wendy.

“Seungwan-ah, look here, I didn’t get McFeisty so don’t give me one, okay? Thank you.” 

“What did you just call me?”

“Seungwan. I told you you’re not Wendy, didn’t I?” Seulgi smirked. She tried her best not to sound as weird as possible but was failing terribly.

“And you don’t even have to deny it, I actually checked our middle school year book and dude, you look exactly like a skinny, red haired version of Seungwan.” Seulgi explained tucking stray hairs behind her ears and Wendy tried her best to look annoyed but couldn’t stop herself from chuckling.

“Geez, Sherlock.” Wendy continued eating. “You shouldn’t have bothered. I wasn’t even denying or hiding or whatever.”

“But you said you were Wendy.” Scratching the nape of her neck in confusion.

“It’s an English name. People in Canada thought Seungwan sounded weird so they called me Wendy.” Seulgi already have emptied her cup but suddenly felt the urge to have another one. What was she even trying to prove with the “You’re not Wendy” thing, why did she even bother?

“But seriously how did you remember me? Because the first thing you said to me at the café bar was “You’re not Wendy” and I thought you were just weird but it actually makes sense now.” Seulgi scratched the back of her neck again, trying to think of a good way to say things even though she’s a little disappointed.

“Um... Actually, we were from the same class ‘til middle school, from 3rd grade up to7th grade to be exact.” She then laughed awkwardly for reasons she can’t even figure out.

“Oh really? It’s nice that you can still remember me, I wasn’t cool enough to have much friends back then I think. Too bad I don’t remember you at all.” Wendy answered and Seulgi didn’t know if she was going to be more disappointed or what.

But you were cool, I wanted to be friends with you was what she wanted to say but instead blurted out an awkward “yeah.”

The two talked for a while and it was pretty obvious that Wendy was quite unfamiliar with all the stories coming from Seulgi but she was very attentive and would react sometimes if she remembers. It wasn’t necessary but Seulgi thought that it would be comforting at least in Wendy’s part, to know that somebody from home remembers her. And though not able to show how she felt, Wendy was nevertheless thankful.

“I’d ask you to tell me more but -“she glances at her watch “I have World Lit in 15 minutes.” Wendy says as she was standing up, bag strap already in place and was ready to leave.

“Yes and I have papers due later that I haven’t started yet.” Seulgi smiles awkwardly. “So I guess I’ll see you around.” Before she could even turn around she hears her again. “I’m Seulgi , In case you’ve forgotten that as well.”

Wendy chuckles but continued to walk away.

The name rings something. Seulgi. She tries to remember but all that her mind shows is a broken pencil and a skinny kid in a baseball cap. Strange indeed.

Seulgi on the other hand stares blankly on her phone’s screen, as if waiting for something and when a notification sound comes up, she waits for her screen to light up.

It didn’t. 

Strange.

She checks her phone once more but there was nothing. No new message. Where the hell did that sound come from?

The notification sound came up again and this time Seulgi checked if her phone’s screen would light up and when it did not, she finally came to the conclusion that it wasn’t from her phone.

She sees a mobile phone similar to hers on the table and all she could say was holy . Seulgi was internally battling with herself whether to take it or not.  She has options.

  1. She could just leave it be and pretend that nothing ever happened.
  2. She could keep it until they meet again or something but what if she actually lost it herself then that would mean she’s responsible. And Responsible is a word that doesn’t have anything good to do with Seulgi.
  3. She could just surrender it to the campus’ Lost and Found even if the student volunteers do not look trustworthy.
  4. Or maybe she could just…

Another notification sound came up and her screen lit up.

 

                                                 From: Jimin

Library. 5 minutes.

“Holy . Holy . Holy . What do I do?” she tells herself.  Seulgi looked at the phone for a second then looked away. Looked at the phone and away.

She took the phone and ran.

 

_____________________

 

Jimin was already there when she arrived. He looked like how a romance webtoon protagonists would look like in real life minus the long legs.

Jet black hair that was parted a little on the right. Eyes that contained the galaxy and would swallow you whole without even trying. Nose that were perfect ‘til the very tip and lips that are so soft looking and moist. Shoulders that are not so broad but still perfect, arms that are not that long but Seulgi could bear with. And hands, hand that’s holding someone else’s. Wait, what!?

Oh. There’s that girl.

His pink collared shirt matched perfectly with his skin color and Seulgi couldn’t help but admire the young man. He was almost perfect if only he wasn’t lacking height.

“I was supposed to help you out but something came up.” He said, his lips pointing to the woman beside him.

Seulgi stared at them blankly. They looked nice together. To be honest, they looked perfect together. Seulgi felt like a potato.

I am not in a state of panic. I am completely fine. I am completely fine. I am not thinking of bad things.

Breathe in

Breathe out

Everything is okay. I am okay. Nothing is wrong. I can and I will do my papers alone.

Breathe in

Breathe out.

It’s just a crush anyway. Everything will be okay.

“So I just did the whole thing.” The statement brought her back to reality. It hurt. Her tooth hurts.

“You what!?”

So that’s how Seulgi ended up sitting alone in the university library with so much free time in her hands. She allotted so many hours for her papers and there it was placed neatly in front of her. What a waste. It would be weird if she came back home, her hot Japanese neighbor would still be there playing loud and annoying songs with her rock star of a boyfriend (that looks like a girl by the way)

Seeing Jimin with another girl hurts but nothing hurts more that her tooth right now and it’s annoying her, it’s driving her crazy. It was as if someone was digging holes inside while shouting DIE! DIE! DIE! And for the record it really was killing her.

“Excuse me miss, if you’re not going to answer your phone you might want to set it to silent there are other people here.” Seulgi didn’t even realize that the phone on her coat’s pocket was ringing. She bowed to the librarian and quietly exited the room. For a second, she lost track of the fact that it wasn’t her phone Seulgi just answered the call, and thank heavens it was someone she knows.

It was her friend, Irene, asking about the phone.

“Oh yeah, she left it on the table earlier… no you don’t have to go, I’ll take it there I’ve got plenty of time anyway…no problem.”

_____________________

Several minutes later she found herself sitting between a serious Irene and a relieved Seungwan in a boring lecture room full of people who were actually listening to the professor. She has her head rested on the table and a hand massaging her cheek.

“So you’re telling me that he did everything? Like everything? That’s nice dude, I love you but I’ll never do that for you even if you’re dying and it’s your last wish. No. ” Irene said emotionlessly, her eyes fixed on the board. Wendy chuckled. 

“Unnie, it hurts so much.” On that, Irene looked at her.

“You already know that the ship was going to sink but you still got yourself in. You knew what was coming.”   Oh yeah, Seulgi knew.

“That’s deep.” Wendy butted in. Seulgi didn’t even knew that she was paying attention.

“No! I was talking about my tooth, you stupid person.” The smack her head had just received made her forget about the toothache because it actually did hurt more.

“Wendy, why don’t you accompany Seulgi to the dentist while I –“

“No way! Seungwan, you’re going to stay. No one’s going to miss class and no one’s going to the dentist.” 

“Seulgi, you’re stupid, just shut up. It’s going to hurt more if it’s not gonna be pulled out.” Irene explained but Seulgi just sat up straight and shook her head.

“Yeah Seul, you need to let it go.”  Wendy added.

“No, I can’t. I’m not going to lose a tooth. I won’t allow it.” Seulgi tried to argue but hours later she was sitting on a dentist’s chair and was pleading for her life.

 

_____________________

“Are you feeling better now?” Irene asked as they were walking on the hallway of Seulgi’s apartment.

“Shut up. You ruined my life. I hate you.” She replied her eyes locked on the paper bag Wendy was holding. In it was the only reason why she agreed; bingsoo. Free bingsoo.

Seulgi ran her tongue to the place where her poor tooth was before. Oh gosh it was so sad and weird at the same time and she just wants to eat bingsoo already.

“Irene unnie? Is Seulgi unnie okay? She looks pale.” Seulgi tore her eyes away from the paper bag and her sight landed on the person who just spoke. Her eyes grew wide.

“YOU CAN SPEAK KOREAN!?” The blonde girl nodded shyly.

“HOW COME YOU NEVER TOLD ME!? I WAS STRUGGLING WITH MY JAPANESE! I FEEL CHEATED ON.” Seulgi ranted but felt relieved inside knowing that she didn’t have to try hard anymore.

“Your Japanese is okay.” The blonde haired girl replied with her thumb up. A slightly taller person caught up with them and ruffled the girl’s hair. The rock star dumb .

“You never really asked her if she could speak Korean, idiot.”  The person said with a smug smile on when he notices Wendy, he bows.

“Wendy unnie, it’s been a while.”

“Yah Seungwan, you really know that guy? You should stay away from him. His aura alone is annoying.” Seulgi warned with her index finger pointed directly on the guy’s face. The guy however just jokingly tried to bite the finger pointed at him.

“But Kang, your presence alone is lowering the IQ in the whole building!” The guy said in between laughs. Why does he sound so feminine?

Seulgi whined when her friends laughed with him.

“Seulgi, she’s a girl.” Wendy placed her hand on the tall girl’s shoulder. “And actually, Jungyeon here, is my –“ Wendy paused.

“Your what?” Seulgi crossed her arms in front of her chest, one of her eyebrows raised.

_____________________

 

Hello, it's me.