no restraints

It wasn't like this.

 

Seulgi looks at the hand intertwined with hers, sees the way their hands fit together so perfectly that it makes her wonder if it was made for that certain purpose. She looks at the owner of the hand and can't help but smile, her long wavy locks, messy fringe, cute round specs and the serious expression on her face as her eyes are glued to what she's reading. The irritating sounds of the zombies coming from the television somewhat disappears as she focuses on the adorable person sitting next to her, the way she sits with her legs almost close to her chest so she could hold the book in place and flip the pages awkwardly with her right hand because her left was holding Seulgi's. She liked it. Seulgi liked this, the idea of sitting on the old couch watching whatever episode of The Walking Dead, pizza and sodas on the table long forgotten with Wendy next to her, holding her hand while reading Pride and Prejudice. (like who reads Pride and prejudice, but oh well, it's Wendy)

It's so comfortable and so perfect that she wish she could just freeze in the moment, but of course that doesn't happen and when Wendy turns to her with a bewildered expression, Seulgi just had to bite her lower lip. (Because she was so damn cute)

"Something wrong?" Wendy asks, her eyebrows dancing with the words as if it has a life of its own.

"Nothing, actually..." Seulgi notices how Wendy’s thumb caresses the side of her forefinger.

 

No, it wasn't like this before.

 

"I'm just bothered that you're not actually bothered by the TV, I mean you're reading some classic smart- book, right?" she answers, trying hard not to laugh at how adorable Wendy looks when she's genuinely worried.

"To be honest Seul, it's really annoying." she blows a stray fringe at this.

"And I really want to get up and read somewhere else." This time, she closes the book and for a second Seulgi feared that she's really leaving but she only moves to sit cross legged.

"Why don't you go ahead then?" Seulgi smirks confidently, teasing. She turns to watch the annoying zombies. However the answer she heard was enough to make her turn back to the other.

"I don't want to let go of your hand."

Wendy already has her attention on the TV, clearly unaware that she just turned a pair of cute ears to red.

 

But it's better this way.

______________________________________________

Seulgi stood at the corner of the café bar, just behind the lights so she can see clearly without being seen by the performer. Her first bottle of beer for the night already in hand. Open mic Slam Poetry had already started without her. What a shame. She sighs. Her friend and colleague, Joy, was already on stage, eyes looking from afar and full of emotion.

…and it was nights like these

Reminiscence of you hold onto me

Cling onto me like invisible restraints

And though beautiful, darling

All I want is to escape…

“So the brat’s finally got her words together.” Seulgi chuckles. “It’s beautifully sad. Did she broke up with her boy toy or something, what’s his name again? Sung..” She watches her in awe; never really believing that Joy could actually write something nice.

“It’s Sungjae, he’s not a boy toy and no, they did not broke up.” The woman beside her replied. Both gazes never tearing away from the stage as the vocal projection and facial expression of the performer is enchantingly captivating.
“And Joy didn’t write the piece.” Irene added.

Seulgi wanted to ask more but was frozen in her position as if the words coming out of the speakers were keeping her still. Who wrote this piece? Her questions could wait.

…so let me write of you

Until I can’t anymore

Until there’s nothing to write

Until I’ve drained myself of you

By then, maybe

I could be free

The café was then filled with cheers, claps and whatnots and Seulgi’s thoughts were drowning in the sound of the crowd. Something in the words spoken was bothering her and it felt as if somewhere nearby the answers could be found. A familiar voice brings her back to reality, she didn’t get the last few words though.

“I’m sorry, what were you saying?”

“I said, the person who wrote the piece is the red haired one over there, the one talking to Joy right now.” Irene replied calmly, the glass of Bacardi on her left hand is half empty. She takes another sip.

“Her name’s Wendy, she’s from Canada.” Seulgi laughs at the new found information and immediately earns a smack from the older one.

“Why do I feel like you know everything?” She chuckles, free hand touching the part where she’d been hit.

“I don’t idiot, it’s just that you know nothing.”  Seulgi’s eyes roam around, searching for the person and when she finds her, she stops drinking.

“No, that’s not Wendy.” She says.

“You’re drunk.” Irene briefly answers before signaling Joy to come over.

No, I’m not.

No, that was definitely not Wendy. It’s not that she actually knows who the f Wendy is, it was just that... Well, Seulgi can’t explain all she knows is that the woman approaching them together with Joy is not Wendy.

The thought of it made her zone out for a couple of seconds until she heard her name being mentioned.

“Oh by the way this is Seulgi, can be stupid sometimes but um... she’s actually nice.”

“Yeah, What? You called me?” The tall one replied obviously not paying attention. She sees a hand extending towards her as if asking for a hand shake and she does.

“Hi, I’m Wendy.” The short girl says and the way she says as if it isn’t an introduction but a universal fact that just needs to be accepted. Seulgi refuses to.

“No, you’re not Wendy.”  She shows her smile, the annoying one, one that says you just have to agree with me.

“I think you’re drunk.” The red haired girl sneered. Eying Seulgi from head to toe because she looks perfectly fine.

“I’m not drunk.” She replied eyes on the bottle. She noticed how their hands are still connected.

“Well, it’s nice to meet you, not drunk.” And normally, Seulgi would quickly blurt a quirky yet feisty comeback but something stops her.

Her phone was vibrating in her pocket and Seulgi swears she’s gonna kill the person calling because nobody cuts off Kang Seulgi. However upon seeing the name, her face lightens up and a small smile appears.

Park Jimin.

_______________________________________________________________

 

Hi there! This chapter was kinda urgh so sorry for that. And no, it's not what you're thinking. 

And also to clarify stuff, the first part is the present and the latter part is how they met. There's only one Wendy.

If you have questions and stuff like that just ask. Thank you for reading!