Chapter 4: So Close Yet So Far

Counting the Distance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sowon drops everything and rushes to the small group forming on the exercise mat. Breaking through the small barrier, she found Juhyeon sitting on the ground, holding onto his hand.

“What happened? Did you hurt it?” She knelt down to meet him at eye level.

Grimacing, Juhyeon lifts his hand and tries to move it. “I can move my fingers.”

“It’s better if you rest for a moment.” Helping him up, Sowon walked him over to the bench and offered him a cup of water.

“Who am I going spar against now?” Jaeho mumbled quietly.

“I heard something interesting today.” Daewon states aloud, piquing everyone’s interest. “I heard our manager used to do Judo in middle school – which would make sense, wouldn’t it?” After all, her school neighbored Jonghwa’s. The two were known for their Judo teams.

“You never mentioned it, Sowon.” Heojun commented.

“I didn’t hide it purposely.” She responded quietly. 

“To make it up, I say you put on a uniform and take Juyeon’s place for today.” Jaeho proposed.

“Me?” Sowon asked in shock. It had been so long.

“Yeah, can’t you take a few flips?” He continued.

“Hey, I can spar with you after – “ 

“You’re my partner and I need all the practice I can get.” Daewon cut Jonghwa off.

“But, she’s a girl.” Jonghwa protests again.

“Manager did fine on the hike, don’t look down on her.” Jaeho refused to listen.

Sowon who had been silent the entire time, thought about the opportunity. “…I’ll be right back.”

The boys looked after her in shock. Though they were hoping, they didn’t think she would agree. Sowon moves from her spot and heads to the locker room. Surely, there’s an extra uniform lying somewhere.

***

The athletes watch their manager take her spot across from Jaeho. 

“Are you ready, manager?” He offered her a sly smile.

“Are you that happy because you can flip me around?” Sowon joked. 

“You’re much lighter than Juhyeon.” He revealed his hidden intentions – with her, he wouldn’t have to work so hard.

“One thing though, Jaeho – try to only grab the uniform.” She took a moment to remind him.

“Got it.” 

The moment Jaeho began moving, Sowon tried to stay light on her feet. With a quick dart of his hands, he grabs ahold of Sowon’s sleeves and easily flips her around. Sowon anticipates her back contacting the mat and once it does, a familiar feeling fills her. She truly did miss it – the mere sound of hitting the floor brought back countless memories.

“God, this is so much easier.” He comments above her with a grin.

“Then, should we spar?” She holds onto the hand he offers to pull her back on her feet.

“Challenge accepted.” 

The others overhear and stop what they’re doing to also witness what was about to transpire. For the first few minutes, the two try their best to grab the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter