Chapter 2: One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Counting the Distance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jonghwa had the sweetest smile ever and Sowon could admit that. She can acknowledge something like that. Whenever he smiled, the other person receiving it would naturally ree as well. It was addicting. It appeared kind.

…Now, he only knows how to scowl.

“What a shame.” Sowon sighs to herself while setting out the exercise mats for the athletes. 

“Manager, can you wrap our hands?” 

Hearing the request, Sowon was at a lost of what to do and hesitated on giving him a response.

“Manager?” Jaeho repeats in confusion.

“Sorry, yeah. I’ll be right there.” Sowon could feel her heart palpitating quickly at the thought. But, what kind of excuse would she be able to provide that would justify turning down the request? It fell under her responsibilities. 

Grabbing the kit of supplies, Sowon makes her way over to the bench as the athletes line up for their turn. Kyungtak was first and took his seat while offering his hands. “My wrists are the weakest.” He notified her with a grin.

Again, her hands hesitate to reach out for his and Jonghwa notices from beside them. “Practice is beginning, finish it quickly.” He urged her.

Sending a quick smile, she forces herself to hold onto his hand. Pulling out the roll of white tape, she begins her task.

“Sowon, you’re pretty good.” Kyungtak mentions in surprise.

The others look over his shoulder to watch. “Yeah, no kidding. You’ve done this before?”

“A little.” Sowon chuckled. 

One after another would offer their wrists, fingers, ankles…and Sowon tried her best to help prevent their injuries. And last but not least, Jonghwa appeared before her. Instead of taking a seat like she expected him to, he reached out and took the roll of tape from her hands. 

“I can do it myself.” He claimed. 

“Whatever you want.” Sowon responds to his immaturity without any trouble. She gets up on her feet and goes to finish her next task. It was time to get the water jug for the members of the team. The moment she returned, she found the athletes sitting before the coach as he revealed some announcements.

“The next match is at the end of next week. So, we’ll prepare for that.”

Sowon notices the anticipation shown in their eyes due to the coach’s words. It’s been a while since she’s been to a meet. Making silent promises to herself, Sowon decides to try her best with preparations so that the members could just focus on their training.

“Manager, keep up your good work.” The coach diverts his attention to her. 

“I understand.” She offered a smile.

***

Watching the training, Sowon went through a men

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter