Chapter 1: Give or Take an Inch

Counting the Distance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

She regretted it the moment she realized what had happened. The sting in her hand must have been incomparable to the pain his cheek was currently experiencing. The shocked look upon his face surely reflected how she was also feeling. 

The reality of the situation hadn’t quite processed yet.

 

…Well, that scene was from middle school. Yet, even though they are now both in high school, neither could forget. 

Issues have equal chance of being resolved or worsened and this situation was the latter. Whenever their eyes would meet, it brought along glares and snide remarks – of course, from both sides. Sure, she understood why she was receiving these reactions but if she had been given a chance to explain, it would all make sense – it would, it really would.

And there was another problem – 

The boy at focus, Lee Jonghwa was popular now. 

Very popular, to be clear.

Being athletic and having good looks to match only exaggerated his desirability. When ‘desirability’ is mentioned, that meant everyone wanted to be his friend or date him given the chance. 

And she was the exception…and well, for obvious reasons. Jonghwa hated her with every fiber of his being and this was not an exaggeration. He has personally told her. 

So when she needed to beef up her future college applications – something her guidance counselor insisted she got started on when she didn’t have much on her plate – there was only one thing available to serve this very purpose. And no matter how many times she said it wouldn’t happen or couldn’t happen, she still found herself standing in front of seven young male students in their white team uniforms. 

“Greet the Judo team’s new manager, Lee Sowon.”

Yeah.

He wasn’t happy and no words were needed. The scowl on his face said enough. 

***

“Quit.” 

Rolling up the last of the exercise mats after practice ended, Sowon tried to catch her breath in order to respond. “I can’t.” She doesn’t meet his eyes or did she stick around to hear whatever else he planned to say. Nothing was going to change and her task still need completing.

She was ordered to clean everything up before she could go home – predictably, that’s what she was focused on.

But, he trailed after her anyway. “Do you know how often our team meets up or how long our practices are – you cannot be here.” He can’t be seeing her face in every aspect of his life.

“Jonghwa, live with it. I can’t quit.” Sowon merely replied. She didn’t want to be here either but nothing was going to change. “Learn to ignore me or something.” Because that’s what she would be doing. When she hears no response, her eyes flicker up to send him a curious glance.

Catching her gaze, he poked her forehead and nudged it gently backwards. “Don’t look at me.”

Mouth agape in surprise, Sowon didn’t stop the boy as he brushed past her to get into the locker room. Standing there by herself, there was nothing else to do but to return to her task as manager.

Cleaning up after the athletes.

***

This morning, there was no stopping Jonghwa or his rambling. It seems a day of thinking wasn’t enough to convince him that having Sowon around as manager was a positive aspect.

“You are aware that you have to clean the locker rooms.”

Of course she knew.

“And get water in a huge heavy jug and refill it throughout practice

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter