The grief in your wake

The Day Before
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Word count: 2574

Rating: PG-13

 

Taekwoon entered his and Hakyeon's flat late at night. The walls he had once viewed in different shades of pastel were now grey and cold. All the warmth of the previously homely flat had evaporated, and everything felt cold and hopeless. After the paramedics arrived, earlier in the day, Hakyeon had been declared dead, and his body had been taken away to a morgue. Afterwards, he was given the task to plan his lover's funeral. They had left him alone, when they realized he needed space before even considering anything of the like.

Jaehwan had been with him for most of it, and he was thankful for the other. He had even gone home, and gotten him a change of clothes, as some of his were stained with blood. Jaehwan had walked him home, to make sure that he managed to walk. He had cried a lot during the day, but now he simply felt drained and empty. After making sure that he managed to get inside, Jaehwan left. In the wake of Hakyeon's death Jaehwan felt the need to go home, hold Sanghyuk close, and appreciate what he had. Losing your soulmate was a pain almost unimaginable, and Jaehwan needed to feel like his relationship was safe. They all needed to grieve. It's not like Taekwoon could blame him. 

 

Taekwoon walked like a cursed man. His legs felt like they were made of lead, and he was weary with grief. He stood in the opening of their bedroom door, holding himself up with a grip on the door frame. His eyes were dry and painful, and the raw pain in his chest just seemed to grow. He looked at the bedroom, their bedroom. The little details that made it theirs was painful to look at. The book Hakyeon had been reading next one of his many scented candles that were spread around the flat, their two wardrobes, their bathrobes that was hanging at the wall next to one another, the bed sheets that Hakyeon had picked out for them. It was like a memory that was never supposed to be a memory. Too vivid, too recent, too intense. 

 

One of Hakyeon's hoodies were laying on the bed. He had worn it yesterday, while they were watching a movie together, and this morning before he got dressed. Taekwoon lifted the hoodie and held it close. He breathed in the scent. It still smelled like Hakyeon. He let his shirt drop to the floor and put it on. It had always been a bit large on Hakyeon, so it fit him fine. Taekwoon was desperately trying to imprint his scent on his skin, so that he would never forget what he smelled like. His scent was almost overpowering, and Taekwoon sank to the floor, crying once more. 

 

How could he be gone? He was just here. And in one moment, he was destroyed and he was gone forever. Taekwoon wished he could blame the person who ran him over. Had it been intentional, he might have. While at the scene, he got a look at the man. He was panicked and upset, and had probably never wanted to hurt anyone. There was no one to blame in this situation. It was just awful.

As his vision flickered between colours, he noticed the driver had a completed circled tattoo on his wrist, one in a deep shade of teal. He had someone whom he loved, someone made for him as well. Taekwoon could imagine the driver had contemplated the possibility of his soulmate dying as well. After feeling this pain for almost a day, he decided he would not wish this on his worst enemy. 

After taking off his pants he laid down on the bed like that, surrounded by the scent of the man that always made him feel safe and at home. He let the tears flow, and fell asleep. 

 

***

 

Jaehwan was on his way home. He couldn't stop thinking of how haunted Taekwoon had looked, or how bloody Hakyeon's death had been. Flashes of Hakyeon's body in the streets flooded through his mind as well. He couldn't imagine the pain that Taekwoon was going through, and still he had his own grief to deal with. Hakyeon had been a kind friend, and he had been very supportive and kind, albeit somewhat annoyed, at his and Sanghyuk's relationship. He had known Hakyeon for almost as long as he had known Hakyeon, and he lit up every room he entered, and was always helpful and accountable. He hadn't deserved to die like that.

 

Jaehwan stood in front of his front door. He knew Sanghyuk was probably here. He called him earlier to inform him about the situation. He had wanted to see him earlier, but Taekwoon needed him more today. After he had called Sanghyuk he had to call Hakyeon's best friend Hongbin. Taekwoon was supposed to do it, but he couldn't gather himself enough at that time. He had met Hongbin a couple of times, but he didn't know him properly. He explained why he was the one calling, and Hongbin understood. Jaehwan thought he heard Hongbin cry, but he didn't comment. Jaehwan rubbed his face with his hands, before he entered the flat.

The first thing he saw when he opened the door was Sanghyuk. The younger man was sitting on his couch in his pajamas, wrapped in one of Jaehwan's blankets. His eyes were bloodshot and puffy. He looked so young and so lost, and it was painful to see the usually confident and happy boy in this state. He heard the TV playing in the background. When Sanghyuk spotted him he ran over and hugged him close. Without words, Sanghyuk made sure to close the door behind them. They stood like that for a while. Holding each other, quiet.

 

"I can't believe it. How can something like this happen?" Sanghyuk mumbled. "I mean, I just saw him today. He was here. How could he disappear so quickly? And why did he have to die like that?" Sanghyuk sobbed. Jaehwan wasn't sure what to say. He could usually cheer Sanghyuk up, but this time, he had no idea what to do. 

"I know, I can't really wrap my head around it either. Sometimes the universe takes people away from us much sooner than they deserved." Jaehwan said. His voice was raspy, and he was close to choking up himself.

 

"I'm sorry darling, I ju

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter